June 2019 Vinyl Challenge

Day 8 - Boxed In
What qualifies as a box set, three or more records? Ok, let's go with that.
Play a something from a box set you own

The White Stripes ‎– Icky Thump X (TMR 'The Vault' Package No.33)

Such a fantastic box set, with a decent amount of music and bonus goodies. I was torn between this and the Charles Mingus - Jazz In Detroit / Strata Concert Gallery / 46 Selden box set that came out late last year. I have yet to open that one and was given it as an apology after BBE Records messed me around with another purchase.

Day 7 - Should You Have That?

Led Zeppelin - Going to California

This is from my first era of record collecting in the 80s. There was a store in Garden City MI called Rock of Ages, and as soon as we had a friend with a driver's license we went there whenever we could. I probably bought 6 of these live Zeppelin bootlegs. This might be the last one I have unless there's one hiding in the wrong jacket somewhere. It's not terrible, but the songs listed on the label don't match the songs on the record. I remember I had one that featured a different band name and song titles that were comically similar to songs of theirs.

Btw, Rock of Ages is still around,. In fact that was my first stop this year on RSD, but they don't don't have stuff like this anymore.

20190608_140504.jpg

20190608_140347.jpg20190608_141138.jpg20190608_141155.jpg20190608_141110.jpg

Day 8: Boxed Sets.

This is a good beginner set for someone to get into Tangerine Dream. Usually can be found cheap - when you can find it. It has the first 4 albums - Electronic Meditation, Alpha Centauri, Zeit (2LP), and Atem - and the as-of-then unreleased 1973 album Green Desert.

Tangerine Dream ‎– ...In The Beginning
Relativity ‎– EMC 8066, 1985

Limited Edition Box Set - numbered to 5000, #4949

Pressed at Specialty

d0x5P1.jpg

C3Ao54.jpg

Last edited:
So since I missed yesterday, I hope y’all don’t mind if I knock out two birds with one stone here.

Day 7: Should You Have That? and...
Day 8: Boxed In

So since I don’t have any real bootlegs or promo records, here’s an album from David Bowie’s “Who Can I Be Now?” boxset that started out as one of his more well-known bootlegs!

David Bowie - Live Nassau Coliseum ‘76

F6A3AFFD-2C86-4DAD-8EAD-D38B6996C9B9.jpeg

I was on moving along nicely with the challenge on Thursday before I was sidetracked with the passing of Dr. John. I plan to get caught up tomorrow night but wanted to sneak this one in tonight.

Day 3 - You Move Me

No vocal performance makes my hair rise like this one. From first listen to every one since, it's just amazing. Of course I'm talking about "On the Run"

Only kidding...."The Great Gig in the Sky"

image1 (11).jpeg

Day 8..boxed in

So this may be heresy, but I have a wall of CD box sets , which is one of the greatest things about that format , this 5 CD set and DVD was about £20 new on amazon just before sanctuary got brought up by universal , and if it was vinyl it would take up half the house

I’m just gonna see now if I can make it thru 5 discs of ELP without the wife bashing my head in with a mallet

4FE3DDEA-23D6-413A-9E43-2BF4244FAA74.jpeg

I skipped day 8 because I don't own any boxed sets and my boyfriend and I had tickets to The Book of Mormon so I was out all day, but I figured I would jump back in today.

Day 9 - The Obligatory Jazz Sunday Category

So I only own 2 Jazz albums, apologies if this one has been posted already. Feel free to send me and recommendations of things I should look into, I always love discovering new things.

Blossom Dearie - Blossom Dearie
IMG_2199.jpeg

Back