June 2019 Vinyl Challenge

Day 8..boxed in

So this may be heresy, but I have a wall of CD box sets , which is one of the greatest things about that format , this 5 CD set and DVD was about £20 new on amazon just before sanctuary got brought up by universal , and if it was vinyl it would take up half the house

I’m just gonna see now if I can make it thru 5 discs of ELP without the wife bashing my head in with a mallet

View attachment 5559

I got a few CD only box sets like this one...they are nice in that they take up little room. I can't tell you the last time I played any of them, though.

I got a few CD only box sets like this one...they are nice in that they take up little room. I can't tell you the last time I played any of them, though.
I have a bunch of CD box sets hiding in my closets. Only two I reaaaally love are the Pink Floyd “Shine On” box (seriously, that’s just a great set, tip to tail) and B.B. King’s “King of the Blues” box, which I wish they’d issue on vinyl. I should buy a CD player some day.

I skipped day 8 because I don't own any boxed sets and my boyfriend and I had tickets to The Book of Mormon so I was out all day, but I figured I would jump back in today.

Day 9 - The Obligatory Jazz Sunday Category

So I only own 2 Jazz albums, apologies if this one has been posted already. Feel free to send me and recommendations of things I should look into, I always love discovering new things.

Blossom Dearie - Blossom Dearie
View attachment 5562
I can tell you from experience that everything that gets posted for this day will be worth checking out.

I have a bunch of CD box sets hiding in my closets. Only two I reaaaally love are the Pink Floyd “Shine On” box (seriously, that’s just a great set, tip to tail) and B.B. King’s “King of the Blues” box, which I wish they’d issue on vinyl. I should buy a CD player some day.
Love that BB King set. I had that once upon a time. The weekend Morgan was born, the house we lived in was broken into and my cd collection from A to N was stolen. (We were in the process of moving and the rest were in boxes in a closet, most of what was stolen was in cd racks in our bedroom). It was some 2000 CDs gone.

I skipped day 8 because I don't own any boxed sets and my boyfriend and I had tickets to The Book of Mormon so I was out all day, but I figured I would jump back in today.

Day 9 - The Obligatory Jazz Sunday Category

So I only own 2 Jazz albums, apologies if this one has been posted already. Feel free to send me and recommendations of things I should look into, I always love discovering new things.

Blossom Dearie - Blossom Dearie
View attachment 5562
Check out Keith Jarrett - the Koln Concert for piano jazz or Preservation Hall Jazz Band for some New Orleans style jazz

Day 9: Jazz....although...I should be playing some Blues for tonight's game.

Various ‎– Prestige 24000 Series
Prestige ‎– PRP-1, 1972

Promo Sampler
Misprinted labels have tracks A1 and B1 swapped.

Cut at Van Gelder
Pressed at RCA, Hollywood

uwAd8N.jpg

6JXTW3.jpg

Day 8 - Boxed In

New West Records 20th Anniversary Box Set

I love this compilation. I really like so many New West artists, and have found a few new ones to dive into as well on this 6 LP set. I got in on the pre-order which means I have my name in the thank you section, which is pretty cool.
It's sorted by two LPs each of: Friends (tracks selected by fans) Family (selected by New West artists) and The Road Less Traveled (by the label president George Fontaine)

20190609_113934.jpg20190609_112215.jpg

Day 8 - Boxed In

It's too nice outside to stay inside much longer, and I want to save the Dylan mono set for someone else who might need it, so here's one disc from my favourite box set, 2016's Day of the Dead. Will certainly get to the rest when the weather turns again.

This disc has Moses Sumney and Jenny Lewis's "Cassidy", Jim James' "Candyman", Orchestra Baobab's "Clementine Jam", Tunde Adebimpe and Lee Ranaldo's incredible "Playing in the Band", and Tal (not the) National's "Eyes of the World."

IMG_20190609_121022.jpg

Last edited:
Day 8 - Boxed In
What qualifies as a box set, three or more records? Ok, let's go with that.
Play a something from a box set you own

After the weekend on the road, this is nice.

Sleep ‎– Live At Third Man Records

IMG_20190609_153255.jpg

With the best rye whiskey of course!

Back