June 2019 Vinyl Challenge

Day 7 - Should You Have That?

My dad loves Randy Travis and I pick up any albums I come across. As I was checking out, the seller was commenting on all my records. When he got to Randy he said, “Oh Randy, he was so ........... hunky.” Not sure if he was mocking me or not :) I have no shame in my record choices, lol.
Randy Travis - No Holding Back [Gold Stamped Promo]
6564E87B-4DFD-4C3F-A97C-E1F8D8D5A109.jpeg

Got any bootlegs or promos? Play one! If not, play something random from your collection for us.

I don't think I have any bootlegs. I have a couple promos. This promo is only 30 seconds long...

Tash Sultana ‎– Salvation

30 seconds is hardly enough so I let discogs pick a random one, too.

Spawn - Dance of the Lunatics.

Day 7- Should I Have This?

Radio station promo. Tim Hardin was as talented as any folk singer/songwriter recording in the late 60’s. He battled heroin addiction throughout his career and was uncomfortable performing on stage. His work is well worth seeking out and finding this promo in a used bin remains a score that makes me proud.

Got any bootlegs or promos? Play one! If not, play something random from your collection for us.

I don't have any bootleg vinyl, so I pulled something out of my to-be-listened crate:
Foals - Antidotes
IMG_2197.jpeg

I do have a decent collection of promo cds of obscure bands I've gotten over the years though. This one is probably my favorite, a band called The Last Royals:

IMG_2196.jpeg

Day 6: Horny.

Ok...I know that saxophones and oboes aren't "brass" instruments....but I'm ok with it. Andy Mackay made some great sounds playing both of these for Roxy Music.

Roxy Music ‎– Country Life
ATCO Records ‎– SD 36-106, 1974

US censored cover

Cut by George Piros at Atlantic Studios
Pressed at Presswell

OkGLxP.jpg

INV6oS.jpg

Day 7 : Should I have this?
Dream Theater ~ Scenes from a memory

IMG_20190607_214604.jpg
IMG_20190607_214619.jpg

Back story: I had just sold my previous copy of dream theater because I hadn't listened to it as often as I though and as soon as I sold it I regretted it. I had been buying pretty frequently from enjoy the ride records so I reached out to them and asked if they had a copy left over. They may or may not have reached out and said they had one copy left. For which I acquired by means of sweat and blood. It's great to have this back in the collection.

Last edited:
Day 7: Part 1 - Bootleg.

Splitting this one up into 2 parts. This was probably my 1st or 2nd bootleg. The other was an Elvis Costello 7", but I kinda want to hear this one.

XTC ‎– The Rhythm
Centrifugal Records ‎– 12CENT-07, 1980

Bootleg

Recorded 16 January 1980 at Hurrah's in New York City New York USA

L2SBIs.jpg

JPvOj1.jpg

Day 7: Part 2 - Promo.

If you haven't noticed over in the Spinnin' thread, along with soundtracks, I also collect promos. Usually "White Label Promos" or other promo language printed on the release somewhere. Gold foil promos can be ok, but usually these are the exact same as the retail version and stamped well after manufacture. Whereas white label promos are/can be an early cut that is significantly different than the retail release. If I have a choice of a retail or promo - I'll pick the promo 99% of the time.

I haven't counted how many I actually own....If I was to ballpark it, I would say at least 60. It's probably more than that. (I own too many to use the new-ish Discogs filter)

This is one that is different than the retail release in a couple of ways.

1) Uses the older "2-eye" Columbia labels - retail release has the updated COLUMBIACOLUMBIACOLUMBIA labels.
2) It is banded for radio play. This is cut differently than the retail release, since each side is only one song the retail version isn't cut with these spaces. On this version, each side is split up in 4 "parts" - each song still plays continuously, but if a DJ wanted to play only a certain part of a track, this makes it easier for them to do so.

Soft Machine ‎– Third
Columbia ‎– G 30339, 1970

White Label Promo
Pressed at Columbia, Pitman

Z0Dsty.jpg

Vno2YK.jpg

Also lucked out in that this wasn't stuck on the front sleeve, but was tucked inside with the records.
JcsBu2.jpg

Day 8 - Boxed In
The only box set I really own is the Blur 21 box set from a few years ago, so even though I already did Damon for day one, my options here are kind of limited, so...
Blur - "Blur"

20190608_030139.jpg

Blur's 1997 self-titled record was basically the nail in the coffin of Britpop. It was one of the genre's biggest artists announcing that they were done with all the Oasis chart battles and upbeat, singalong choruses. In contrast, sonically, the album is dark, brooding, surreal and low fidelity, a relatively radio-unfriendly record that primed the world for the even more bizarre and adventurous follow-up, 13.

It's always been one of my favorite albums by the band, a lot of it due to the variety of sounds throughout the album. The record contains the group's most well-known and popular song (at least in the States), "Song 2." But there's also the twangy, creaky "Country Sad Ballad Man", the catchy chanting chorus of "On Your Own", the sentimental Coxon-led acoustic "You're So Great", the brash punk rock "Chinese Bombs", the eerie, trip-hop inspired "Death of a Party" (which foreshadows Damon's later Gorillaz work beautifully), the fuzzy, distorted croak of "I'm Just a Killer for Your Love" and the Bowie-esque ballad "Strange News from Another Star."

This album also boasts my favorite song of all time, the opening track "Beetlebum." This is a song I clearly love immensely and gives me a feeling I can't quite put it into words so here, just listen to this:

Day 8 - Boxed In
What qualifies as a box set, three or more records? Ok, let's go with that.
Play a something from a box set you own

Gather 'round children and I'll tell you about The Great Beatles In Mono Music Vaultz Massacree of 2017.

It was listed on their website for about $90 shipped. A bunch of us ordered it. Miraculously, we got it.

The end.

You can still get a sealed copy for around 1K now that it's gone out of print.

IMG_1915.JPGIMG_1916.JPG

Day 8: help! I'm stuck in a box and i can't get out!
Wang Wen ~ in the course of the miraculous

IMG_20190608_075040.jpg
IMG_20190608_075715.jpg
IMG_20190608_075628.jpg
IMG_20190608_075642.jpg

I don't own many box sets, but this one by Wang wen I had to get. Comes included with 4 vinyl, 33pages of art and a DVD.

Wang wen recorded this soundtrack for the movie in the course of the miraculous and here is what they had to say about it

Course of the Miraculous” was an interesting experience for Wang Wen as it was the first time we recorded a movie soundtrack. Even more interesting is that we completely improvised the soundtrack to a musical theme based on the movie.

I keep forgetting to add pics to this thread so I will post the last few days worth in this post then add the box sets to the next.

Day 4 - In The Pocket
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Indestructible (1985 Blue Note reissue - part of the Cadre Rouge Audiophile Edition series)

Day 5 - String Theory
Kishi Bashi ‎– Sonderlust (Signed, Limited Edition Gold & Bronze Splatter pressing)

Day 6 - All That Brass
Theon Cross - Fyah (Gearbox Records, 2019)

Tom Waits - Round Midnight (The Minneapolis Broadcast 1975)

Back