July '22 N&G Vinyl Spin Challenge - Ball So Hard, M*****f***ers Want To Fine Me

Day 21: Golden State Warriors

Play an album from an artist from the San Francisco bay area or play an album that features a song about war.

Operation Ivy - Energy
2B83A2F2-FE77-4B04-8039-2DB722DC7537.jpeg

The Bay Area has been a vital scene for many artists and styles, the “Summer Of Love” scene of the late 60s the Hyphy Rap scene of the 90s and the Punk scene of the 80s-early 90s. I went Op Ivy mainly for the song “Unity” since it’s kinda an anti-war song (war as in disputes between groups of people as opposed to Countries)

I’ve always enjoyed Golden State basketball, when I was a kid, first it was the RUN TMC teams with Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, and Chris Mullin. Hardaway was my favorite because of his ankle-breaking “killer cross-over”. After that group broke up next came Don Nelson coached team with Chris Webber and Latrell Sprewell that was dynamic high scoring basketball (unfortunately they didn’t like to play any D). Following a playoff sweep in 94 the Warriors kinda fell off the map for the next 20 years until drafting Steph and building their current dynasty.

Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band - Ragged But Right

Been waiting for this day to give this a spin. Jerry is the first I think of when it comes to SF.
Warriors were fun to watch growing up. I still rock this old Webber jersey. Always loved the color combo on these.
20220721_100622.jpg
20220721_100314.jpg

Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band - Ragged But Right

Been waiting for this day to give this a spin. Jerry is the first I think of when it comes to SF.
Warriors were fun to watch growing up. I still rock this old Webber jersey. Always loved the color combo on these.
View attachment 146498
View attachment 146499
I’m envious of your C Webb jersey. I still have a few old Champion replicas that I still rock on hot summer days (a Jordan, Larry Johnson, Charles Barkley, and Shawn Kemp) back in Jr High those jerseys were the height of fashion, paired with some baggy jean shorts, black Nike socks and basketball sneakers and topped off with a New Era fitted ball cap. I used to also have a Jamal Mashburn, Grant Hill, Mark Price, Stacy Augmon, Jalen Rose, Larry Bird but those have sadly disappeared over the past 27 years (I suspect my younger brother probably took them when I moved away). Anyways, I always wanted a Webber Jersey (either Warriors or Bullets) one of these days maybe I will try to pick one up off eBay or something.

Last edited:
I’m envious of your C Webb jersey. I still have a few old Champion replicas that I still rock on hot summer days (a Jordan, Larry Johnson, Charles Barkley, and Shawn Kemp) back in Jr High those jerseys were the height of fashion, paired with a pair of baggy jean shorts, some black Nike socks and basketball sneakers topped off with a New Era fitted ball cap. I used to also have a Jamal Mashburn, Grant Hill, Mark Price, Stacy Augmon, Jalen Rose, Larry Bird but those have sadly disappeared over the past 27 years (I suspect my younger brother probably took them when I moved away). Anyways, I always wanted a Webber Jersey (either Warriors or Bullets) one of these days maybe I will try to pick one up off eBay or something.
My favorite one I had was the Turquoise Hornets Zo jersey which is long gone. I still have a Jordan and a Shaq one, but they are a little too snug around the waist now. The Webber one was huge on me back in the day, so fits perfectly now! I'd love to find another old Hornets one with the pinstripes, or Magic one with pinstripes. Neither of mine had them.

My favorite one I had was the Turquoise Hornets Zo jersey which is long gone. I still have a Jordan and a Shaq one, but they are a little too snug around the waist now. The Webber one was huge on me back in the day, so fits perfectly now! I'd love to find another old Hornets one with the pinstripes, or Magic one with pinstripes. Neither of mine had them.
If I recall only the authentic ones had the pinstripes while the replicas were just the silk screened graphics (that would occasionally melt off if ran through a too hot dryer). The Authentic jersey were way nicer and had all the details. I always wanted an authentic black Bulls jersey with the red pinstripes back in the day but they were way too expensive. I think I prefer the replicas now though mainly because they are very light weight and since I usually only wear them on super hot days where I am spending lots of time outdoors (doing yard work, going to concerts, backyard barbecues, etc.) I think the light mesh is the way to go. But yeah those pinstriped 90s jerseys were lit. I think the Rocket ruined it with there terrible 90s jerseys. I also hated when they went to the cutoff t-shirt style jersey instead of the straight tank top. Those were awful.

Day 18: Oklahoma City Thunder
Play an album from an artist from the Great Plains (Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and either Dakota) or album with a weather theme.

Both The Flaming Lips and Stardeath And White Dwarfs are from Oklahoma...

The Flaming Lips & Stardeath And White Dwarfs With Henry Rollins And Peaches – The Dark Side Of The Moon
Warner Bros. Records – 523541-1, 2010

Pressed at Record Industry

FfZtzM.jpg

PkpjYF.jpg

Day 20: Utah Jazz

Play an album from an artist from the Mountain West (Utah, Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming - the other states in this region are covered elsewhere) or do I really need to say it? A jazz album. Just play a jazz album and don't overthink this.

Donald Byrd - Stepping into Tomorrow

View attachment 146461

Play an album from an artist from the San Francisco bay area or play an album that features a song about war.

This is the Real, Actual Soundtrack to the Movie Sorry to Bother You by The Coup

DC3EA317-4337-4CB9-8C7B-DA6257766275.jpeg

Day 21: Bonus Album

Sorry to Bother You Original Score by tUnE-yArDs

59C717B2-4920-47A5-84E6-45C21251F5B1.jpeg

Day 19: Portland Trail Blazers
Play an album from an artist from Oregon or an album that was ahead of its time.

I haven't kept up with all of their release, but I was kinda bummed they broke up in 2021

Chromatics – Kill For Love
Italians Do It Better – IDIB038, 2012/2016

Pressed at GZ

NLeM6b.jpg

1T7YPF.jpg

Last edited:
Day 20: Utah Jazz
Play an album from an artist from the Mountain West (Utah, Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming - the other states in this region are covered elsewhere) or do I really need to say it? A jazz album. Just play a jazz album and don't overthink this.

Steve Albini was born in California, but grew up in Missoula, Montana.

And since @gafacaode scooped my original Chicago pick, I'm playing it for this theme...

Shellac – At Action Park
Touch And Go – TG141, 1994

Pressed at EMI Records

z5eg84.jpg

wCI1Mz.jpg

Both?

This as only 2 tracks...
"Swastikas on Parade" and "Hitler was a Vegetarian"

The Residents – The Third Reich 'N' Roll
Ralph Records – RR1075, 1976/1985

Cut by Leo Kulka at Sonic Arts
Pressed at Rainbo

NgAuIS.jpg

J4uC9G.jpg

Day 22: Los Angeles Clippers

Play an album from an artist from Southern California or an album that features a reference to water.

Stone Temple Pilots - Tiny Music...Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop
0AB03197-818B-4797-A0C8-3B53F9EF75BC.jpeg

STP are originally from San Diego so are the Clippers. Unlike the Clippers STP’s best work happened in the 1990s. Until very recently the Clip was probably the worst franchise in all of pro sports (which is saying a lot in a world where the Cleveland Browns exist). I have zero fond memories of the Clippers growing up beyond the fact that the SporstCenter anchors always had a fun time with Pooh Richardson’s name.

Back