July '22 N&G Vinyl Spin Challenge - Ball So Hard, M*****f***ers Want To Fine Me

Day 9: Indiana Pacers

Play an album from an artist from Indiana or that has an interesting or unique pace to it.

Cloakroom - Dissolution Wave

From northwest Indiana.

img_20220205_151723662-jpg.127782

Day 19: Portland Trailblazers

It’s hard for me to gauge what songs or albums are really “ahead of their time” as those kinds of albums (especially the ones released in the 20th century, mostly before my time) are almost immediately followed-up by other artists taking influence from that sound or just straight copying it, and it all just meshes into that homogeneous glob of “the past” to me. Though I was able to find something that fit, if just a little…

Donna Summer - On the Radio: Greatest Hits Volumes I & II

D72B87B8-96F1-415E-8618-FE23F20DFF4D.jpeg

Much of this greatest hits album is absolutely of its time except for “I Feel Love”, which ended up having a significant influence on music, electronic music in particular.

Last edited:
Day 18: Oklahoma City Thunder

Play an album from an artist from the Great Plains (Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and either Dakota) or album with a weather theme.

Chris Porter - Lost & Alone

View attachment 146298

Day 19: Portland Trail Blazers

Play an album from an artist from Oregon or an album that was ahead of its time.

She & Him - Volume 3

8F617D38-E15E-4490-A1F9-F69D630607C5.jpeg

Day 17: Minnesota Timberwolves

Play an album from an artist from Minnesota or an album that is just wild.

Soul Asylum - Hang Time
8A3BF122-8EC1-4D46-8986-A36E08B67F54.jpeg

Minnesota, specifically the Twin Cities; is up there with Seattle and Boston as local scenes that developed outsized influence. The only common threads I can think of between the three is that they experience a lot of shitty weather, their residents really enjoy drinking, and they are all home to large Colleges and Universities. I could have easily picked an album by Low, The Hold Steady, Morris Day & The Time, Atmosphere, Tapes N Tapes, etc… I went with This Soul Asylum album because it was from their wilder, pre-Grave Dancers Union days and it’s also called “Hang Time”.

Timberwolves Basketball has mostly been terrible throughout it’s existence, aside from that short period in the early 2000s when Kevin Garnett, Sam Cassell, and Latrell Sprewell came together and almost made it to the Finals (if not for the Lakers).
KG has long been favorite of mine mainly due him playing High School ball at Chicago’s Farragut Academy when I was in Junior High and being one of the most successful players to ever make the jump directly to the NBA outta High School.

Last edited:
Day 17: Minnesota Timberwolves

Play an album from an artist from Minnesota or an album that is just wild.

Soul Asylum - Hang Time
View attachment 146400

Minnesota, specifically the Twin Cities; is up there with Seattle and Boston as local scenes that developed outsized influences. The only common thread I can think of between the three is that they experience a lot of shitty weather, their residents really enjoy drinking, and they are all homes to large Colleges and Universities. I could have easily picked an album by Low, The Hold Steady, Morris Day & The Time, Atmosphere, Tapes N Tapes, etc… I went with This Soul Asylum album because it was from their wilder, pre-Grave Dancers Union days and it’s also called “Hang Time”.

Timberwolves Basketball has mostly been terrible throughout it’s existence, aside from that short period in the early 2000s when Kevin Garnett, Sam Cassell, and Latrell Sprewell came together and almost made it to the Finals (if not for the Lakers).
KG has long been favorite of mine mainly due him playing High School ball at Chicago’s Farragut Academy when I was in Junior High and being one of the most successful players to ever make the jump directly to the NBA outta High School.

I remember rooting for them in that WCF. Wally Szczerbiak was killing it for a couple years on that team as well.

Day 18: Oklahoma City Thunder
SEATTLE SUPERSONICS

I’ll be dead in the cold cold ground before I recognize Oklahoma City.

Band Of Horses - Cease To Begin
22520D52-8569-4B0C-B556-F813716560A2.jpeg

Look, I am a Bulls fan through and through but it’s completely fucked up that Seattle lost the Sonics. In the grand scheme of professional sports up until the Sonic left town Seattle was arguably a Basketball City and it’s easy to understand why, they were a highly competitive franchise that actually won a title. Since they left town the city has shifted a bit towards the Seahawks especially with their recent success. That being said when the NBA eventually brings the Sonics back to Seattle there will likely be parades in the streets. I picked Band of Horses because they formed in Seattle and were signed to Seattles premier indie record label, Sub Pop. I picked this album specifically because of this track…

And I couldn’t miss the opportunity to show Shawn Kemp absolute destroy Alton Lister in one of the greatest dunks of all time.

Lol, hater. Though if we're talking football, I'd do exactly the same for Minnesota.
Minnesota sports are weird. Like I don’t objectively hate any of their franchises though they share divisions with many teams that I do root for and most of their teams (outside the T-Wolves) have been pretty successful but have never sustained dominance for any stretch of time. Even the two worlds series titles they won during my lifetime kinda felt like flukes.

Back