July '22 N&G Vinyl Spin Challenge - Ball So Hard, M*****f***ers Want To Fine Me

wmeugene

This month's theme is going to be Basketball, or more precisely a vinyl spin tour around the Association. You don't have to be a basketball fan (though why not?) and like last month, each day will have two themes, one geographic and the other associated with the mascot.

You know the drill, for each day, play a record. Preferably one that hasn't been played yet. Let's shoot for all 31 days for a prize, either Bandcamp or Paladin at a reasonable price. The more detail the better. Fake double points if you pick an artist that meets both themes.

Now that we have that out of the way...
tumblr_90aefbea011cbcd1c9468fd4393ea8b7_c5abe53b_500.gif

On to the challenge!

Atlantic Division

Day 1: Boston Celtics

Play an album from an artist from Massachusetts or from Ireland.

Day 2: Brooklyn Nets

Play an album from an artist from New York City or with a monochromatic color scheme.

Day 3: New York Knicks

Play an album from an artist from New York state or from an artist who makes interesting wardrobe choices.

Day 4: Philadelphia 76ers

Play an album from an artist from Philadelphia or a patriotic album.

Day 5: Toronto Raptors

Play an album from an artist from Canada or play a very old album, prehistoric you might say.

Central Division

Day 6: Chicago Bulls

Play an album from an artist from Chicago or an aggressive album.

Day 7: Cleveland Cavaliers

Play an album from an artist from Ohio or one with old-fashioned album art.

Day 8: Detroit Pistons

Play an album from an artist from Michigan or an album that has something to do with cars.

Day 9: Indiana Pacers

Play an album from an artist from Indiana or that has an interesting or unique pace to it.

Day 10: Milwaukee Bucks

Play an album from an artist from Wisconsin or that has a nature theme to it.

Southeast Division

Day 11: Atlanta Hawks

Play an album from an artist from the ATL or album that has something to do with birds.

Day 12: Charlotte Hornets

Play an album from an artist from North Carolina or that has something to do with insects or other "bugs" (spiders allowed).

Day 13: Miami Heat

Play an album from an artist from Miami or an album that you can burn up the dance floor to.

Day 14: Orlando Magic

Play an album from an artist from Florida or an album that you consider magical.

Day 15: Washington Wizards

Play an album from an artist from the DMV (DC, Maryland, or Virginia) or an album featuring a "wizard" production to it.

Northwest Division

Day 16: Denver Nuggets

Play an album from an artist from Colorado or an album that is marijuana related (get it, nugget?)

Day 17: Minnesota Timberwolves

Play an album from an artist from Minnesota or an album that is just wild.

Day 18: Oklahoma City Thunder

Play an album from an artist from the Great Plains (Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and either Dakota) or album with a weather theme.

Day 19: Portland Trail Blazers

Play an album from an artist from Oregon or an album that was ahead of its time.

Day 20: Utah Jazz

Play an album from an artist from the Mountain West (Utah, Idaho, Montana, or Wyoming - the other states in this region are covered elsewhere) or do I really need to say it? A jazz album. Just play a jazz album and don't overthink this.

Pacific Division

Day 21: Golden State Warriors

Play an album from an artist from the San Francisco bay area or play an album that features a song about war.

Day 22: Los Angeles Clippers

Play an album from an artist from Southern California or an album that features a reference to water.

Day 23: Los Angeles Lakers

Play an album from an artist from Los Angeles or an album that references celebrity. (Sure I could have done the same clue as the Clippers, but I didn't).

Day 24: Phoenix Suns

Play an album from an artist from Arizona or an album that references sunshine in one of its song titles.

Day 25: Sacramento Kings

Play an album from an artist from California, outside of SF and LA, or an album from a king or queen of their genre.

Southwest Division

Day 26: Dallas Mavericks

Play an album from an artist from Texas or from an artist who is considered a maverick.

Day 27: Houston Rockets

Play an album from an artist from Texas (a different city than Day 26) or an album with a space reference.

Day 28: Memphis Grizzlies

Play an album from an artist from Memphis or an album that has a reference to a bear somewhere in it.

Day 29: New Orleans Pelicans

Play an album from an artist from New Orleans or from an artist who has changed identities more than once in their career (the New Orleans team has been the Jazz and the Hornets in the past, not even counting the ABA New Orleans Buccaneers).

Day 30: San Antonio Spurs

Play an album from an artist from Texas (and yes, please make it a different city than Day 26 and 27) or an artist who has spurred you on in your musical journey.

giphy.gif

Day 31: All Star Game

Play an album from an artist that is an all star of your music collection

Have fun!

It's been a minute or two since I followed pro hoops. I did back in the day do all the things like fantasy, collect cards, and even had the chance to go to Madison Square Garden to see the Knicks.

Since this is celebrating physical media, I had the idea to add to my posts some pics of collectors cards from the 90's for each team. Here's day 1: Celtics

PXL_20220701_154437755.jpg
PXL_20220701_154459717.jpg

Play an album from an artist from Massachusetts or from Ireland.

Pixies - Surfer Rosa

View attachment 144442

Play an album from an artist from Massachusetts

Anjimile – Giver Taker
20220701_170331.jpg

How delightful to follow up taking the family to Victoria Pride Society's Annual Memorial Dragball game by playing this album from my favourite Massachusetts "queer/trans/boy king" who started writing music while attending Northeastern University. In 2018 they were named best entrant from Massachusetts in NPR's Tiny Desk Concert contest and their budget for this album came the following year thanks to a Live Arts Boston grant.

Back