July 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge: Summer Breeze Makes Me Feel Fine

July 16 - Moby's a Dick
Play a white whale.

The Elephant Six Orchestra - Welcome to Our Story

Hitting the Scott Spillane connection again. This was only available on a couple date tour they did in 2011, which I was lucky enough to attend the one in Denver. Limited to 500 copies. Would have loved a recording of the show, but this is the closest I've been able to get to reliving the magic of that night.

20210716_100801.jpg
20210716_100811.jpg
20210716_100818.jpg

Day 16: Moby's a Dick
Play a white whale

Charley Crockett - Lil G.L.'s Honky Tonk Jubilee
3A8D00D4-FCB7-4576-9E1E-0AEE3CF317B0.jpeg

I am not one to chase “white whales” often. If Moby Dick taught me anything it was that chasing an obsession doesn’t always end well for the obsessed. In the halcyon days of record collecting that we are currently living in, the idea of chasing a rare record and/or paying an exorbitant amount for it seems like an especially foolhardy errand especially when you consider with a bit of patience and luck chances are good that what is a white whale today will become a lowly minnow once the much desired album is eventually reissued (Demon Days, Songs For The Deaf, etc., etc…).

All that being said, I did put up a minimal chase and was also pretty lucky to come by a copy of this, Honky Tonk Jubilee. This album had a small 1,000 run pressing back in 2017. The problem was that I didn’t find out about this gem until reviewing some “end of year, best of” lists and by that time it had almost sold out everywhere. I say almost because after clicking through several pages of “Honk Tonk Jubilee vinyl” search results. I found a record store In Oklahoma that was showing a single copy in stock. After I ordered the record. I didn’t hear anything for a few weeks and assumed the worse, that the online store stock was listed in error. I eventually emailed the store and after a few more days they replied back. Turned out their online shop was correct and they did have a copy in stock but had misplaced it somewhere within the store, thankfully after digging through their inventory they had found this copy and sent it my way! I was ecstatic. I still assume this record will be reissued eventually (why wouldn’t it) but it was nice to luck into something like this and at a retail price no less.

Last edited:
July 16 - Moby's a Dick
Play a white whale.

A white whale two-fer...

First, an unassuming little band that released one record that sold 5k copies. Turns out half the unassuming little band was Danny Whitten, Billy Talbot and Ralph Molina. They'd show up a year later as Crazy Horse backing Neil on Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. The rest is history...

Also a literal white whale - it's on White Whale Records.

The Rockets - S/T

20210716_125235.jpg20210716_130059.jpg

July 16 - Moby's a Dick
Play a white whale.

A white whale two-fer...

First, an unassuming little band that released one record that sold 5k copies. Turns out half the unassuming little band was Danny Whitten, Billy Talbot and Ralph Molina. They'd show up a year later as Crazy Horse backing Neil on Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere. The rest is history...

Also a literal white whale - it's on White Whale Records.

The Rockets - S/T

View attachment 105849View attachment 105850

And not to be confused with Detroit's own The Rockets.

July 16 - Moby's a Dick
Play a white whale.

Oneness of Juju "African Rhythms" (1975 Black Fire, original red border pressing)
This is an old white whale. My search for a copy of this started during the late 90s after hearing the "Africafunk: The Original Sound of 70s Africa" compilation. Landed a beautiful copy of the original pressing with a quiet NM vinyl right before Strut reissued it in 2002. It's been reissued a few more times lately, but I doubt anyone could improve on the sound on this pressing. This remains one of my favorite pieces in my collection.

IMG_1612.JPG

july 16 - moby’s a dick

A0964DD7-9018-4B2D-9B8F-E96C5B772870.jpeg

roger waters - amused to death

this is an og copy that i’d been wanting for 15 years or so and for a long time was going for $300-500 on discogs. the album came out in 1992 and the vinyl was only released in europe, supposedly 1000 copies or so. it also was quite renowned for its pressing quality, with audiophiles using it as a reference album. i was simply never going to pay the amount people were asking unless i made a lot more money. when the reissue was announced a few years ago i figured prices would come down, and they did. i waited until this one was put up on discogs for $130 and finally snagged it. it’s not a perfect copy, but it’s damn good and i don’t think a copy has sold for less since.

July 17 - Montreal Olympics opening ceremonies in 1976
Play something competitive

Between the Battle Of The Bands and the battles of the exes this is a pretty competitive movie

Various ‎– Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
ABKCO ‎– 0343-1, 2010/2021

Cut by Carl Rowatti at Trutone Mastering

GMFDOO.jpg

42b36y.jpg

This came in the mail the same day I got the soundtrack

20210717_033504 (2).jpg

Bruce Springsteen "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" (1977 Columbia; 2015 reissue)
Includes song "Racing In The Street".

Tonight tonight the strips just right
I wanna blow 'em all out of their seats
Well come on out around the world
We're goin' racin' in the street

IMG_1613.JPG

July 12 - By the time I get to Arizona
Play your favourite road trip album

Cat Stevens -- Tea for the Tillerman

In all fairness, I don't really have a "favorite road trip album" because I am a firm believer in mixtapes and playlists when it comes to road trips.

However, in order to satisfy the prompt, I put some thought into and realized I really only have one requirement when it comes to road trip music and that is that I have to be able to sing along to it. After that realization, this album caught my eye because its one of the earliest albums I remember being exposed to and I know the words to EVERY SINGLE SONG on this album and am more than happy to enthusiastically sing along at any given time.

IMG_4466.jpg

July 13 - Reelin’ in the years.
Play a soundtrack or song that appeared in a movie

Turbo Kid -- Chronicles of the Wasteland

Great soundtrack to a really fun movie. Its a movie that revels in 80s/90s nostalgia but in the best possible way. Yes, it is way over the top but that is kinda the point.

IMG_4468.jpg

This one was tough for me. Not many albums I own that make me think of competition. But competition makes me think of people who have the win at all costs mentality, and that makes me think of domination, and domination makes me think of Pantera.

Pantera - "Domination" on Cowboys from Hell

20210717_215602.jpgDomination

Back