July 2020 Record Challenge (The Raffle Strikes Back)

DAY 11
TOUGH ACT TO FOLLOW
Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B
The "sequel" to Dedicated is a very interesting album. Where Side B of E•MO•TION consisted of tracks clearly cut from the original album for the sake of keeping the tracklist concise, this album seems to suggest an alternate direction the original Dedicated may have gone. Some songs, such as "This Love Isn't Crazy" or "Fake Mona Lisa" could fit on the original album fairly seamlessly but there's other tracks that go for something completely different than anything on the original album, like the psychedelic "Summer Love" (which has quickly become one of my favorite CRJ songs) or the upbeat indie pop sounding "Let's Sort the Whole Thing Out." Its an odd collection of songs, and while I dont know if it manages to stand on it's own the way CRJ's previous B-side collection does, there's a lot to love here, as is the norm with Carly Slay Legendson.
20200711_164637.jpg

DAY 11
TOUGH ACT TO FOLLOW
Carly Rae Jepsen - Dedicated Side B
The "sequel" to Dedicated is a very interesting album. Where Side B of E•MO•TION consisted of tracks clearly cut from the original album for the sake of keeping the tracklist concise, this album seems to suggest an alternate direction the original Dedicated may have gone. Some songs, such as "This Love Isn't Crazy" or "Fake Mona Lisa" could fit on the original album fairly seamlessly but there's other tracks that go for something completely different than anything on the original album, like the psychedelic "Summer Love" (which has quickly become one of my favorite CRJ songs) or the upbeat indie pop sounding "Let's Sort the Whole Thing Out." Its an odd collection of songs, and while I dont know if it manages to stand on it's own the way CRJ's previous B-side collection does, there's a lot to love here, as is the norm with Carly Slay Legendson.
View attachment 56182
Didn't notice this until now but the shirt I'm wearing today is very fitting 😄
20200711_172248.jpg

Day 11: Tough Act To Follow

Oasis - (What’s The Story) Morning Glory?

How do you follow up one of the most vital and life affirming rock debuts of all time. With the single most defining cultural icon of 90s Britain. This thing was in the top 10 in the albums charts for years! Not as good as the debut but man the singles on this thing are killer!

5AE93624-07B3-4D81-A05F-96DFC625B339.jpeg311BE6E7-A2FD-4685-8095-53D67EDCD66E.jpeg

July 9 - Give It Time
Built To Spill - Perfect From Now On

This was the first album of theirs I heard and I was initially put off by Martsch's voice, but I kept coming back to it anyway. Now it is easily one of my favorite albums and it is hard for me to understand why I didn't love it immediately!

Every thousand years
This metal sphere
Ten times the size of Jupiter
Floats just a few yards past the Earth

You climb on your roof
And take a swipe at it
With a single feather
Hit it once every thousand years

'Til you've worn it down
To the size of a pea
Yeah, I'd say that's a long time
But it's only half a blink in the place you're gonna to be

Where you going to be?
Where will you spend eternity?
I'm gonna be perfect from now on
I'm gonna be perfect starting now

Stop making that sound, stop making that sound
I will say I forgot it
But it was only yesterday
And that's all you had to say

IMG_20200711_183820.jpg

JULY 12
THANKS, TIPPER GORE
Play an album with a parental advisory sticker

Most of y'all are too young to remember, but Uncle Frank really did us a solid up on Capitol Hill.

This is worth every second of your time. Frank's opening statement is absolutely sublime.

Frank Zappa - Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention

20200711_233906.jpg20200711_234053.jpg

DAY 12
THANKS, TIPPER GORE
Gorillaz - Gorillaz
I'm pretty sure this only has a sticker because of Del's verses on "Clint Eastwood" and "Rock the House." A couple lyrics sites say that Damon says "shit" on "Slow Country" but it sounds more like "shoot" to me. Then again who knows what is being sung on some of these songs, Damon gets kind of unintelligible at certain points, which kind of adds to the lo-fi, druggy vibe of the album.

Either way, that sticker didn't stop my parents from buying nine-year-old me this album and Demon Days on CD. Thanks to mom and dad for not caring about naughty words! 😁
20200712_004454.jpg

Day 12: The Tipper Sticker Pt. 2

This spoken word album pre-dates the actual "Tipper Sticker" but talks a lot about the PMRC and his trial over the H.R. Giger poster that was in Frankenchrist.

Jello Biafra ‎– High Priest Of Harmful Matter - Tales From The Trial
Alternative Tentacles ‎– VIRUS 66, 1989

Gvy5i3.jpg

9oDCeI.jpg

Day 12 - THANKS, TIPPER GORE: Play an album with a parental advisory sticker

Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.

This is definitely one of those cases where I hate the existence and placement of the Parental Advisory sticker. This album cover would be so much better without it.

Day 12 - Tip The Canoe

As threatened, one of my most recent additions that is the only record I am certain has the label. I surely have more, especially since I keep shrink on. This sticker is adhered to the shrink. I don’t think any of the others on my listening shelf (roughly 100 records) has the label, though, so finding more would require some digging.

RATM - S/T (purchased over other RATM titles at @Indymisanthrope urging)

0D5A4F53-CE96-4D25-BE2F-3271B44D9082.jpeg

Day 10:
An album that makes me think of food:
The Presidents of The United States of America - S/T
I have a sudden and intense urge to eat me a lot of peaches...
3FD9BB7D-9558-4924-BA1B-30182F6BAF0D.jpeg

Day 11
A companion album:
System of a Down - Mezmerize
Technically incorrect because Hypnotize was the second of the two to come out, but I already posted Hypnotize for Day 7, so here we are. Also contains my favorite SOAD song, Question!, so might have wanted an excuse to listen to this one too.

4CAEA707-B863-4449-9C73-55C2C92AE74F.jpeg

Day 12:
An album with a parental advisory sticker:
Slipknot - S/T
I mean... it’s Slipknot. It’s not hard to see why they got slapped with the sticker. Absolutely banging motherfucker though
image.jpg
image.jpg

Getting ahead cause I work tomorrow:
Day 13
An album with 13 tracks:
The Arrogant Sons of Bitches - Three Cheers for Disappointment
Jeff Rosenstock is:
A. One of the best things to come out of ska punk
B. A national treasure
C. To be protected at all costs
image.jpg

Day 12 - Thanks, Tipper

Warrant - Cherry Pie

C5DBF9E9-6678-4C11-BA61-7C9D296BEA30.jpeg
While the sticker is absent from this recent reissue, the album has a song called Ode to Tipper Gore:

The album carried a parental advisory sticker in the United States, due to the final track, "Ode to Tipper Gore", which consisted of a collection of swear words cut from the band's live performances.

More info about this “song”

Back