July 2020 Record Challenge (The Raffle Strikes Back)

JULY 9
JUST GIVE IT TIME
An album that grew on you

Sunny Day Real Estate - LP2

I probably got into SDRE during early high school, so around 2002 or so. After the band was done for like the 3rd time but before they put out The Fire Theft album. I started with Diary as one does and loved it right away. How It Feels... eventually became my favorite, but this one felt impenetrable for the longest time. I can only wonder how strange it was to fans of the band at the time. You can kinda feel the tension in the album, but the more time I spent with it, the more it felt like a feature not a bug. I'm not that much of a lyric person, so the literal gibberish lyrics never bothered me too much.

IMG_20200710_132437.jpg

JULY 10
BON APPETIT
Play an album that makes you think of food

Lee Perry - Roast Fish Collie Weed & Cornbread

A sampling of some of the lyrics from the album

Service your body
Eat the right food
Get some tonic
Drink some fish tea

Rolling home from work, feeling kind of peckish
Dying to reach home, to have my favorite dish
Ackee and saltfish, dumpling and inana
Cow foot and split peas, tripe and broadbean

Roast fish and corn bread, yeah
Roast fish and corn bread, yah, yeah
Dreadnought and peanut, hey yeah
Skanking in the back yard, hey yeah

IMG_20200710_143930.jpg

JULY 10
BON APPETIT
Play an album that makes you think of food

Oooof, the thing is I'm ALWAYS thinking about food, I find cooking extremely soothing, I really, really enjoy it.

So I'm not picking a food themed album per se but, something I like to listen while cooking and that would be jazz.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Day 10 - Bon Appétit

Really surprised this one didn't get picked already. I had a stronger backup but didn't want to dig it out of storage (The Lovely Eggs). This is a record my wife got for me because she likes it more than I do (I do really like it).

Japanese Breakfast - Soft Sounds From Another Planet

20200710_192907.jpg

Surprised you didn’t stick with Xiu Xiu both days and use Girl With Basket of Fruit.
That would have been really easy if I owned that one... There's three or four Xiu Xiu albums I don't own, and that's one of them.

You know what?
I am going to do an entire month of Guided By Voices related picks one of these months. I own about 60 GBV/Pollard related LP's, so... yeah, it might still hurt, but FUCK IT I'M DOING THIS!

Back