July 2020 Record Challenge (The Raffle Strikes Back)

Day 11: Tough act to follow

Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days

This was Sam Beam's second full-length, and first proper full-length, after The Creek Drank the Cradle tracklisting was selected from about a hundred or so recordings he'd made by the time they got to Sub Pop's offices. Playing with accompaniment for the first time, Sam really nailed the Southern Gothic feel, improving the fidelity and sacrificing none of the charm of the debut. He moved into considerably more experimental directions shortly after this, and for that reason this is probably still most Iron & Wine fans' favourite.

IMG_20200712_120000.jpg

I also have memories of being in the corporate record store chains (back in the 90s when they only carried CDs) and coming across copies of Jane's Addiction and Reel Big Fish albums with the covers censored like this:

41Trdd98VZL.jpg

Day 12 - Parental Discretion is Advised or how Tipper Gore made it easy to shop for rap cassettes!

A1BB4166-256F-4FAC-9770-8F77B821C658.jpeg

Ghostface Killah "FishScale"

Ok there was a point where EVERY rap tape I owned had a parental advisory sticker on it! I bought all of them before I was 18 so mission accomplished! It got to a point where it went from the sticker as an eyesore to being incorporated into the design of the cover, nowadays I barely notice it or maybe I'm buying less saucy music??

I love this record with or without swear words!

Day 12: Thanks Tipper Gore

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible

We were never as set on those little censorship stickers over here. Maybe this was on my original cd? Maybe not? I can’t remember...

Anyway the lyrical content of this certainly would earn one, check out the lyrics of the opening track, the anti consumerist “YES” and you’ll know what I’m on about! Also bonus, Ms Gore gets a mention in track 2, “IFWHITEAMERICATOLDTHETRUTHFORONEDAYIT’SWORLDWOULDFALLAPART”.

FF8C78B4-F72C-409D-8A54-5D4F314895F4.jpeg83AF426E-83F1-42EA-94EC-C04012DCC492.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 9 Catch up!

JUST GIVE IT TIME

Theatre Of Pain ~ Motley Crue

I am not the biggest Motley fan truth be told, but my friend gave me this one as a prize winning in her youtube contest. I have Girls, Girls, Girls but even then I rarely gets playtime. I need to be in the mood overall for some Crue, BUT this album is the one execption. I never tire of this album. It has just enough of what I wanna get outta Crue.

IMG_9254.jpgIMG_9253.jpg

Day 12
Curse words

I’ve told this story before, but when I was fourteen I somehow smooth talked my mom into buying my first cassette copy of this album at Roses. The stickers were new and the Bible Belt decided you had to be 17 like for a movie. Still no idea what exactly I said to my very conservative and religious mother to buy me the record with skulls on a cross and a clear indication that she wouldn’t like the content...

E89C3E70-8502-47DA-AEC1-9208229AF11B.jpegGuns N’ Roses - Appetite for Destruction

Also, I’ve read the complaints on Discogs but I have to say this sounds really good for free.

Back