Joyful Noise VIPS / JNR-100

1626360260407.png

As you may or may not have heard via snail mail, Deerhoof is releasing a new album titled Actually, You Can!

Can you throw a party when there’s nothing to celebrate?

Can you make a record with state lines and oceans separating band members?

Can you be scared of your own shadow?

According to Deerhoof, Actually, You Can. For their seventeenth studio album, Deerhoof has used their agility, wit, and outlandishness to create a new shared language of revolution, one powered by lyrical labyrinths and thrashing melodies. With Actually, You Can, Deerhoof proves that anything—from creative reinvention 25 years deep into a career to self-actualization in the midst of global upheaval—is possible.

The VIP Edition of Actually, You Can is pressed on Green and Purple Pinwheel Vinyl (pictured below) and is limited to 500 hand-numbered copies, including an exclusive bonus flexi-disc.

The album will be announced to the world next Wednesday, but VIPs now have special early access to pre-order and hear songs from the new album (a different song each day), culminating with a secret VIP-exclusive full-album stream happening on Tuesday July 20 at Noon ET.

In my humble opinion, this is one of Deerhoof's absolute best albums of their career... It contains an explosive energy and sense of immediacy that reminds me of their early aughts albums Reveille, Milk Man, and Apple O'. I think you'll love it.

1629218750250.png

Greetings VIPs,

A few months ago, we introduced you to our newest roster addition Cedric Noel, and now we've got a bit more of good news...Cedric will be releasing his new album (and vinyl debut) via Joyful Noise!

Over the last decade, Cedric has released a number of critically praised full-length albums, EPs and collaborative works of his own, while also playing bass for acts like Ada Lea, Alexia Avina, and Dana Gavanski. His music is informed by his unique worldview: He was born in Niger to Canadian and Mozambican/Belgian parents, spent his upbringing in 9 different countries on 5 continents, and is currently based in Montreal.

The new LP from the Tio'tiá:ke/Montreal staple is a high water mark in the young artist’s already deep catalog. Hang Time shifts fluidly between rock, folk pop and ambient elements, holding tensions and untangling complex truths. Written during a period of intense self-reflection, Hang Time digs into what it means to be disconnected from place/ancestry, adopted into a multi-racial family, what it is to be Black man in a predominantly white scene, and how one can arrive at a place of pride amidst the multiplicity of self.

Featuring contributions from Squirrel Flower, Liam O'Neil (SUUNS), and more, Hang Time is a showcase of an artist and the community that he has built around relentless work ethic and musical experimentation.

Hang Time will be announced to the world tomorrow, but as a VIP you can now purchase early and stream the entire album before the world knows it exists.

I haven't spun the Suuns record, yet, but the pinwheel color is very cool. The cover image and the inner sleeve image, however, is not. I hate to be sexist, but I don't need to see that! I uploaded the images to discogs, and then made sure to delete that image from all my devices. LOL

I haven't spun the Suuns record, yet, but the pinwheel color is very cool. The cover image and the inner sleeve image, however, is not. I hate to be sexist, but I don't need to see that! I uploaded the images to discogs, and then made sure to delete that image from all my devices. LOL
Yeah agree.

I really liked the Suuns record I got from Secretly Society, but the two that I've gotten from JN have been hard passes. Still trying to sell that EP. Will probably stick this latest up for sale as well if anyone's interested.

Did anyone get their Kramer 'Artist in Residence' box set yet? Last email I got said Aug or Sept.

2022 JNR early bird is $200. They reduced the number to 8 records, plus one choice from the back catalog, plus 8 lathe-cut singles. "Artists you may expect to hear from in 2022 include El Ten Eleven, Oneida, Deerhoof, Sound of Ceres, Dumb Numbers & Melvins, Sleep Party People, and more..."

Not sure I'll join for next year. Two years ago, there were 12 records, this year 10, now they are down to 8.

Not only that, but I think I've listened to once and then tried to sell probably 3/4 of the records from this past year. My tastes just don't align enough with JNR enough anymore to do the sub, which is a shame because I love what they stand for, generally.

It’s been a while since I did this sub. How has this gone during COVID, their team’s tragic personal loss, long production times, etc?

Also, if someone had to recommend 2-3 albums JNR have released over the last 2 years, which are your standouts? I am out of the loooooop.

It’s been a while since I did this sub. How has this gone during COVID, their team’s tragic personal loss, long production times, etc?

Also, if someone had to recommend 2-3 albums JNR have released over the last 2 years, which are your standouts? I am out of the loooooop.

This year has been delays, delays, delays. We just got the May record last week! There have been some cool and interesting things, though. Kishi Bashi is always popular. I do like Magic Sword - Endless, and Swamp Dogg - Sorry You Couldn't Make It, from the 2020 collection. I'm eagerly waiting for this year's Tropical Fuck Storm, due to ship in November.

2022 JNR early bird is $200. They reduced the number to 8 records, plus one choice from the back catalog, plus 8 lathe-cut singles. "Artists you may expect to hear from in 2022 include El Ten Eleven, Oneida, Deerhoof, Sound of Ceres, Dumb Numbers & Melvins, Sleep Party People, and more..."

Not sure I'll join for next year. Two years ago, there were 12 records, this year 10, now they are down to 8.

I just checked in on this forum because I found myself wavering for next yr Early Bird VIP also. Lots of other options for one’s musical $$$s and listening time. At times it seems like the label is having some troubles and a yr in advance requires a full vote of confidence in the label’s ability to deliver.

This yr’s flexi 7”ers or 2022 lathe cuts are merely cool swag in that I’m always reluctant to drop my delicate stylus on a non standard record. I never play them.

Still I like supporting the indie label and joining/canceling VIP monthly to get 3 or 4 is a hassle. 🤔

Speaking of Joyful Noice lathe cuts there is an article in NYT this AM on the supply problems with vinyl and Joyful Noise is featured front and center for the indie perspective…..

NYT …” Within the Indianapolis office of Joyful Noise Recordings, a specialty label that caters to vinyl-loving fans of underground rock, is a corner that employees call the “lathe cave.”

There sits a Presto 6N record lathe — a 1940s-vintage machine the size of a microwave that makes records by cutting a groove into a blank vinyl platter. Unlike most standard records, which are pressed by the hundreds or thousands, each lathe-cut disc must be created individually.

“It’s incredibly laborious,” said Karl Hofstetter, the label’s founder. “If a song is three minutes long, it takes three minutes to make every one.”

This ancient technology — scuffed and dinged, the lathe looks like something from a World War II submarine — is a key part of Joyful Noise’s strategy to survive the very surge of vinyl popularity the label has helped fuel. ”

At times it seems like the label is having some troubles and a yr in advance requires a full vote of confidence in the label’s ability to deliver.

True, but I think you can also be confident that even if you don't get all the releases during 2022 because of the delays, you'll at least get them eventually.

For my part, I'm gonna stay on the JNR boat for at least another year...only about half of JNR's releases really resonate with me, but I can also usually recoup my costs in secondary sales if needed, and with how much Karl has been busting his ass to keep the bills paid over the past couple of years, I am seeing it as more of an investment in what they're trying to do than anything else.

(But also, if the half of JNR's releases I don't like happen to also be the ones you'd normally want the VIP sub for, feel free to HMU and I'll sell you mine 😂)

Joyful Noise gets mentioned quite a bit in this article. Quite interesting.
Karl posted on facebook about the article, and is very excited about the "666 hours" time estimate they mention :ROFLMAO:

This yr’s flexi 7”ers or 2022 lathe cuts are merely cool swag
Yeah, they're cool. But since I upgraded my turntable to a MoFi, they can't be played. Lathe-cuts might work since they are little thicker. The secret sampler is very neat too, but my system can't do reverse grooves or spin backwards.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling y'all are gonna like the upcoming announcement for the next iteration of the Artist Enabler Club...

Back