Jimi Hendrix - The Authorized Hendrix Family Edition (vinyl pressings)

Hi, I was wondering, are these 180g “Authorized Hendrix Family Edition” pressings, which seem to be analog remasters, high quality pressings?

They seem to be very affordable too, and are 180g on top!

Do these reissues sound great? Here are some pictures to let you know exactly which ones I’m referring to!

Would love everyone to give me their thoughts on how they sound! Also, it’s seems like the consensus is stereo > mono with Jimi Hendrix studio album vinyl pressings!
Monos are great but don't forget there are two versions of Are You Experienced (UK and US) so work out whether you want the singles or not. If you want the whole lot you either need the expanded stereo or both versions.

I've the MOV pressings of the Monos. They're great.

This is from the "Authentic Hendrix" website. Not sure if it is in the same class as what this thread is about.
Like many of the reissues from Experience Hendrix, Live in Maui is mastered by Bernie Grundman and plated and pressed at Quality Record Pressings. Thus, I would expect high quality LPs that sound very good.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why First Rays of the New Rising Sun is out of print?
MOV did one a few years ago. My guess is that it's probably the least popular Hendrix album and might not have sold well on reissues. Wouldn't be surprised to see it back at some point though.

MOV did one a few years ago. My guess is that it's probably the least popular Hendrix album and might not have sold well on reissues. Wouldn't be surprised to see it back at some point though.
I mean, I wouldn’t think Both sides of the Sky, South Saturn Delta or People, Hell, and Angels sell better. They’re all in print though. It was also the first Estate release.

I mean, I wouldn’t think Both sides of the Sky, South Saturn Delta or People, Hell, and Angels sell better. They’re all in print though. It was also the first Estate release.
I don't know that those are still in print versus simply still being in stock from not selling? I never see any of those in shops while I regularly see all the Jimi main releases from the Hendrix Estate.

I don't know that those are still in print versus simply still being in stock from not selling? I never see any of those in shops while I regularly see all the Jimi main releases from the Hendrix Estate.
I guess, they’re all available from Authentichendrix except for First Rays…. Both Side being the most recent makes sense.

I was not aware that the estate had finally got this. I would be interested in replacing the one I have too
The estate have everything. All rights across the board are owned by the estate, for some years now. Howver, the one oddity is that Capitol still has rights to release Band of Gypsies - but doesn't control the recording rights. So Band of Gypsies is Universal now while the rest of the Hendrix catalog and recordings can be released through the estate's Sony contract.
The 2008 Band of Gypsies is dubious. They would not have had the tapes - those are controlled by the estate.

On the other hand, the estate authorized vinyl is taken all analog, using the Classic Records plates. I have the original Classic pressing, it is fabulous, and it must be a real treat to have a fair price reissue using those plates.

The estate have everything. All rights across the board are owned by the estate, for some years now. Howver, the one oddity is that Capitol still has rights to release Band of Gypsies - but doesn't control the recording rights. So Band of Gypsies is Universal now while the rest of the Hendrix catalog and recordings can be released through the estate's Sony contract.
The 2008 Band of Gypsies is dubious. They would not have had the tapes - those are controlled by the estate.

On the other hand, the estate authorized vinyl is taken all analog, using the Classic Records plates. I have the original Classic pressing, it is fabulous, and it must be a real treat to have a fair price reissue using those plates.
And bought.

Are You Experienced? is a more lofi thing in mono is my biggest take away from this recent obsession. I also think I like the original track list better if not the versions on the record. Foxey Lady in particular seems like it is just a different recording. I think a lot of the less refined sound comes from the phase stereo stuff sort of waving in and out, like maybe Jimi played or Kramer recorded those licks knowing what was going to happen in the final product.

All right, I am at a crossroads - purple box aside - I have all the estate approved studio stuff.

So, does anyone have experience with the Dagger stuff on vinyl? The only Dagger release I have is the Live at Oakland Colosseum cd which is an amateur mono recording of a show. It’s is pretty low quality. Doesn’t look like any of their live stuff is on CD. Just the demo stuff. Is it worth having on vinyl or should I just focus on all the live official stuff next?

All right, I am at a crossroads - purple box aside - I have all the estate approved studio stuff.

So, does anyone have experience with the Dagger stuff on vinyl? The only Dagger release I have is the Live at Oakland Colosseum cd which is an amateur mono recording of a show. It’s is pretty low quality. Doesn’t look like any of their live stuff is on CD. Just the demo stuff. Is it worth having on vinyl or should I just focus on all the live official stuff next?
Focus on the quality Experience Hendrix stuff. The Dagger are disappointing sonically. Tough listens for real, heavy die-hards only.

The Winterland box would be number one on my list, followed by Berkeley and Atlanta Pop.

So for a casual fan who’s familiar with the 3 Experience albums, what’s a logical next album or two to explore?

Back