Jazz

Love how rewarding/serendipitous this hobby can be! I’ve been stopping into every record shop I come across for the past year since being in NY looking for this exact record. I always b-line right towards the D section in a stores jazz collection to see if there’s an off chance that this would be sitting around collecting dust.

Why not just buy online you ask? Well because there simply aren’t enough viable copies listed for sale. I look frequently and never feel confident enough to justify what people charge for their grading.

So yesterday I pop into Academy Records here in Greenpoint to look for some records for my brothers upcoming birthday gifts. I was on a mission and swore off looking for myself as I was in a rush and over my budget hahah. On my way out the door I figured, what the heck, let me just look in their “Rare” bin. 4 records in and I saw this beaut staring at me, I swear I touched it to make sure it was real 😂.

For what they were charging I got a good deal, it definitely has its fair share of snap and crackle but considering it’s an OG Mono from 1963 I can’t be too mad as the music itself is just some of the sweetest sounding sax playing I’ve encountered. So easy to enjoy this listen. Highly recommend keeping your eyes peeled for this one in the wild!

To think how close I was to continuing the search for who knows how much longer!View attachment 196822
Academy FTW, always!

Academy FTW, always!
Agreed but I find they're stingy with trade in value. Only 1/3rd of what they plan to sell for, I go to other places that offer 1/2 of what they plan to sell it for. I've brought in some incredible trade hauls to Academy and they're like hmm, "how about $30 for 15 records" and I'm like my guy, you can resell one of these for $100!

Agreed but I find they're stingy with trade in value. Only 1/3rd of what they plan to sell for, I go to other places that offer 1/2 of what they plan to sell it for. I've brought in some incredible trade hauls to Academy and they're like hmm, "how about $30 for 15 records" and I'm like my guy, you can resell one of these for $100!
Ouch! They definitely used to clock in about half, which is standard. I've also gotten reasonable offers from them on larger buys, keep in mind this was all pre pandemic. Staying in the 'hood can't be easy.

Later in June, UMe/Verve will re-release her first solo album, “A Monastic Trio,” originally recorded in 1968. A third Impulse! release is also slated for the holiday season.

Later in June, UMe/Verve will re-release her first solo album, “A Monastic Trio,” originally recorded in 1968. A third Impulse! release is also slated for the holiday season.

Also exciting:

To complement the musical celebrations, plans are underway to re-release Alice Coltrane-Turiyasangitananda’s 1977 devotional text and autobiography, “Monument Eternal.” A previously unreleased devotional literary work by Coltrane entitled “Endless Wisdom III” will be unveiled during The Year of Alice.

Has anyone gotten ears on Elemental’s press of Conversations With Myself? I have a Verve 60th DMM from a handful of years ago that betters the current version available to stream, but it still isn’t great.

The algorithms refuse to accept that I do not want to listen to Diana Krall. Streaming services should add a "banned" artist or song feature. It's like when Spotify would randomly throw the New Order/Blade song into calm mixes.

The algorithms refuse to accept that I do not want to listen to Diana Krall. Streaming services should add a "banned" artist or song feature. It's like when Spotify would randomly throw the New Order/Blade song into calm mixes.
Spotify used to have one, not that it worked, seemed like it threw FJM at me more.

Back