Jazz

Books are getting expensive. I have my eyes on that Japanese Jazz book on preorder at BBE but, even though I recognize it's a lot of work and that there are no similar books out there, I can't justify spending 100€ on it.
You’re not alone. I’m in the same boat, especially bc shipping to US is really expensive above the price of the book. There’s also a kickstarter, and they haven’t sold out the 50 lowest level rewards (just the book) in weeks.

I’m not saying the price is unjustified. Merely that I, you, and the market generally show reluctance to pay it.

I thought I would share this here as well as the Fresh Grabs thread.

Well, this is exciting. For a few years I have had the idea to collate all of my British jazz records into a book, but as I still have a few "big hitters" that I am after I decided to wait. However, during this time Richard Jack Morton decided to cut out the middleman by reaching out online to people who might have these rare records and collating these himself into his own book. It's an incredible tombstone-sized book that captures over 500 records, some reviews from the time of release, and a general overview. Funnily enough, I recently went on facebook messenger for the first time in years and saw an unread message from Richard asking for scans of my copy of Michael Garrick's "A Jazz Cantata". The first 100 orders of the book came with a fantastic bonus replica poster advertising Michael Garrick's "Cold Mountain".

View attachment 193361View attachment 193362View attachment 193363

I can totally see you writing that book!

Dusty Groove has preorders up, but it is $100usd. Very steep.
Its pricey for sure but it is a proper coffee table book. Taschen books of a similar size retail for a similar price so I understand where the pricing has come from.
Books are getting expensive. I have my eyes on that Japanese Jazz book on preorder at BBE but, even though I recognize it's a lot of work and that there are no similar books out there, I can't justify spending 100€ on it.

You’re not alone. I’m in the same boat, especially bc shipping to US is really expensive above the price of the book. There’s also a kickstarter, and they haven’t sold out the 50 lowest level rewards (just the book) in weeks.

I’m not saying the price is unjustified. Merely that I, you, and the market generally show reluctance to pay it.
I pledged for the J-Jazz book but they didnt hit their target. They are selling them anyway but through bandcamp etc instead and at a slightly higher price. As an FYI, its £90 plus £25 shipping here in the UK but as of the 2nd Feb the price is rising. I haven't put the order in yet, struggling to justify the cost.

ECM are reissuing The Jewel in The Lotus this year, can I get an Amen !
Can I get a Hallelujah!!

Finally! And in their Luminessence serie <3

Luminessence-F-Digital-640x905.jpg

Finally! And in their Luminessence serie <3

Luminessence-F-Digital-640x905.jpg
No one is excited about that Pat album, early jaco on that one.

Oh, hell yes!!
How have I missed this band? I used to love Fugazi and Dischord and lived in DC for more than two decades. And I started to get into jazz in the mid-2010s.

Oh wait, I see now, my wife and I have had two kids since their first record came out, and the oldest one was born 4 months after that record was released. I guess we were busy with other things.

Still, we lived in DC until 2 years ago, and I'm kicking myself for never seeing them live. They must have played the Black Cat at least a couple of times from 2018 to 2021.

My In Sheeps Clothing subscription sent me this record this morning and I'm really really enjoying it. Super laid back jazz from late last year with some super tasteful electronic production mixed in. This is going to get a lot of spins in my house. Check it out if you guys need something super easy and fun to zone out to today while working.

Also, if you end up wanting the record, I'd hurry up cause it seems they are down to their final copy on bandcamp lol

Back