Jazz

Hey! Did you had to time to spin it? What are your thoughts?
Ah sorry, I forgot to reply. I have indeed, listened to it a few times now.

I really like it but it doesnt stand out as one of my favourites. I feel like Golden Rule and Reverence stuck to a certain style and did so really well, so the albums feel coherent and exciting. With Devotion it seems like she has pulled in a few different styles and references. It works, but less cohesive and less raw as a result.

Last edited:
I only streamed it and then immediately purchased it after that because I thought it was really good. I remember thinking it sounds like her most "accessible" record yet - maybe that's where the criticism would come from for those familiar with her other albums. I've got it on the list to play soon so I'll take a closer listen but I do remember thinking it might be among my favourites from her.

Ah sorry, I forgot to reply. I have indeed, listened to it a few times now.

I really like it but it doesnt stand out as one of my favourites. I feel like Golden Rule and Reverence stuck to a certain style and did so really well, so the albums feel coherent and exciting. With Devotion it seems like she has pulled in a few different styles and references. It works, but less cohesive and less raw as a result.
I only streamed it and then immediately purchased it after that because I thought it was really good. I remember thinking it sounds like her most "accessible" record yet - maybe that's where the criticism would come from for those familiar with her other albums. I've got it on the list to play soon so I'll take a closer listen but I do remember thinking it might be among my favourites from her.

Thanks for the reviews guys. Pressing-wise, it there any issues ala ThirdMan Records? Also @Selaws is this sold out at TMR shop in SoHo?

Man I have been loving this record. Has everything I want from music. Just ordered it from my local.

JKC is a talented guy. Great jazz musician, great classical pianist, great producer, true renaissance man of music.

I actually was listening to this one of his last night to wind down my day right before bed. It's totally different from Septet but I love this album as well (even more), its easy to listen to and achingly melancholic.

JKC is a talented guy. Great jazz musician, great classical pianist, great producer, true renaissance man of music.

I actually was listening to this one of his last night to wind down my day right before bed. It's totally different from Septet but I love this album as well (even more), its easy to listen to and achingly melancholic.

Yea both the records mentioned have surprisingly good songwriting/hooks which usually isn’t the strength of jazz records

Yea listening now. Sounds great for the first couple of minutes.

I knew I recognized the name from somewhere...

Told you! I cannot recommend enough to give them a visit when in Lisbon. During these years I've been a customer, they have always been friendly and helpful. They also have some great selection of records you can hardly find anywhere else in Portugal.

Arrived today.. really high-quality publication. I can see why their regular retail price is so high now.

By the way I also found this on ANOST for cheap:

I thought I would share this here as well as the Fresh Grabs thread.

Well, this is exciting. For a few years I have had the idea to collate all of my British jazz records into a book, but as I still have a few "big hitters" that I am after I decided to wait. However, during this time Richard Jack Morton decided to cut out the middleman by reaching out online to people who might have these rare records and collating these himself into his own book. It's an incredible tombstone-sized book that captures over 500 records, some reviews from the time of release, and a general overview. Funnily enough, I recently went on facebook messenger for the first time in years and saw an unread message from Richard asking for scans of my copy of Michael Garrick's "A Jazz Cantata". The first 100 orders of the book came with a fantastic bonus replica poster advertising Michael Garrick's "Cold Mountain".

IMG_7869.JPGIMG_7875.JPGIMG_7868.JPG

I thought I would share this here as well as the Fresh Grabs thread.

Well, this is exciting. For a few years I have had the idea to collate all of my British jazz records into a book, but as I still have a few "big hitters" that I am after I decided to wait. However, during this time Richard Jack Morton decided to cut out the middleman by reaching out online to people who might have these rare records and collating these himself into his own book. It's an incredible tombstone-sized book that captures over 500 records, some reviews from the time of release, and a general overview. Funnily enough, I recently went on facebook messenger for the first time in years and saw an unread message from Richard asking for scans of my copy of Michael Garrick's "A Jazz Cantata". The first 100 orders of the book came with a fantastic bonus replica poster advertising Michael Garrick's "Cold Mountain".

View attachment 193361View attachment 193362View attachment 193363
Dusty Groove has preorders up, but it is $100usd. Very steep.

Back