Jazz

Want to know what FOMO looks like. All the OG copies of Oleo on Discogs sold yesterday after the video was released. 3 sold this year so far.....then 5 sold in 1 day, 1 of which was the highest its sold for on cogs.
A year ago I decided to pass on the OG Oleo vinyl for the CD collection. Still fine with that decision - the music still matters more than the medium for me when prices get crazy.

Do you guys recommend the On A Friday Evening Craft Lp set ?
I don’t have it. Got a little Bill Evans-ed out after all the RSD stuff and have only really picked up the classics of his lately
Same as MikeH, I’m still tracking down the essential Bill Evans recordings and don’t foresee myself returning to live sessions much instead of the classics

I don’t have it. Got a little Bill Evans-ed out after all the RSD stuff and have only really picked up the classics of his lately
Same as MikeH, I’m still tracking down the essential Bill Evans recordings and don’t foresee myself returning to live sessions much instead of the classics
Is similar to the recent Art Blakey live album: an enjoyable listen, but not necessarily essential.

I’m happy to have it, but it’s unlikely to be the first album I reach for when I’m in the mood to listen to Bill Evans.
c'mon guys, Everyone digs Bill Evans... 😊

My local has Friday leftover for 35, tempting with trade in cred but I can stream it as well so not sure

I do not have much Evans on vinyl (Trio 64' the last which I love) but am lucky to have the Verve, Riverside, and Fantasy cd box sets. As I get older I really appreciate the duet albums with Bennett. Listening to Waltz with lyric is a fun experience and very tasteful and Tony is on his A game.

Interplay is always a fun and unique listen with that lineup as Bill preferred the trio.

c'mon guys, Everyone digs Bill Evans... 😊

My local has Friday leftover for 35, tempting with trade in cred but I can stream it as well so not sure

I do not have much Evans on vinyl (Trio 64' the last which I love) but am lucky to have the Verve, Riverside, and Fantasy cd box sets. As I get older I really appreciate the duet albums with Bennett. Listening to Waltz with lyric is a fun experience and very tasteful and Tony is on his A game.

Interplay is always a fun and unique listen with that lineup as Bill preferred the trio.
Ok, here goes.

I have the Craft On A Friday Evening. It is great. It has far, far better sound than the Resonance RSD stuff, and this period of Bill Evans is under appreciated.

Like most jazz musicians, Bill Evans only got better as he got older. In this music, practice and experience pay off.

So - if the price is right, grab it. Bill was really at a new peak around this time.

While you are at it, find the recent-ish Live In Tokyo Japanese Sony remaster, it is fantastic

boomboom alert!
Beat me to it.

Funnily enough I passed on an OG UK pressing of this the other days because it had a gnarly looking scratch. Quite an affordable release typically but I might get this VMP pressing knowing its AAA and wont be scratched up.

Ok, here goes.

I have the Craft On A Friday Evening. It is great. It has far, far better sound than the Resonance RSD stuff, and this period of Bill Evans is under appreciated.

Like most jazz musicians, Bill Evans only got better as he got older. In this music, practice and experience pay off.

So - if the price is right, grab it. Bill was really at a new peak around this time.

While you are at it, find the recent-ish Live In Tokyo Japanese Sony remaster, it is fantastic
Cheers, The Tokyo lp price is high so will just stream that one for now.

I popped into Honest Jon's Coal Drops Yard shop the other day and stumbled across a series they released called "London Is The Place For Me". As it happens I had read about the series earlier in the day in John Thurlow's biography on Harry Beckett, which I'm loving by the way. Vol 3 in the series focuses on Ambrose Adekoya Campbell and supposedly contains the first recordings of Beckett.

Anyway, the 8-part series focuses on Calypso, Kwela, Highlife, Mento, and jazz that immigrants introduced to London in the 50's. I streamed some of the Ambrose Adekoya Campbell volume the other day and it was fantastic.

Maybe some people here would enjoy them (@Poly-Rythmo it might interest you?)

a1189743834_10.jpg

I popped into Honest Jon's Coal Drops Yard shop the other day and stumbled across a series they released called "London Is The Place For Me". As it happens I had read about the series earlier in the day in John Thurlow's biography on Harry Beckett, which I'm loving by the way. Vol 3 in the series focuses on Ambrose Adekoya Campbell and supposedly contains the first recordings of Beckett.

Anyway, the 8-part series focuses on Calypso, Kwela, Highlife, Mento, and jazz that immigrants introduced to London in the 50's. I streamed some of the Ambrose Adekoya Campbell volume the other day and it was fantastic.

Maybe some people here would enjoy them (@Poly-Rythmo it might interest you?)

View attachment 134879
Love these compilations. Really good quality. Also got a Lord Kitchener original after listening to these.

If I have the Hoffman / Gray Sonny Rollins OJCs …. Do I need the new acoustic sound represses ??

If I have the Hoffman / Gray Sonny Rollins OJCs …. Do I need the new acoustic sound represses ??
Yes. Anytime you can take Hoffman out of the picture, the sound is better. Also, those were done while Gray worked in-house at RTI. Not the level of equipment he has today.

Sadly, as is typical of Rhino, no mention of pressing info.

I'll stick with my fantastic Analog Spark.

I don't buy every Rhino reissue, but aren't most of their records pressed at RTI?
Rhino is just a logo, not a company. It is Warner Music. They can be pressed anywhere. In the early days, most were pressed at RTI simply because it was close and had in-house mastering, and it was available, and there weren't many competitive plants. Now, it is wherever they can get them pressed.

I picked up the Pure Pleasure Reissue of "Sonny Meets Hawk" last month and its been a frequent spin. What an amazing, fascinating record from two of the instruments key players. Couldn't recommend it more, been a sleeper hit for me.

Last edited:
Back