Jazz

That does look interesting. I went through a period of kind of avoiding '80s jazz albums, but over time discovered that there was a lot of good music hiding under poorly designed album covers. Last week, I came across Freddie Hubbard & Woody-Shaw – Double Take and The Elvin Jones McCoy Tyner Quintet – Reunited in the wild and prices well below what most jazz reissues are going for these days, and they're both really solid albums. Live material from Tyner and Hubbard during that period sounds it could be great.
I have the 24bit, it is good, not essential. Still - good, sound is acceptable.

The 80's - a fallow period for jazz, but there are lots of gems to be had. Some thoughts:

1. Post-fusion, jazz went into decline. Either it went full-on disco/smooth jazz or retrenched to traditional acoustic jazz, as many artists tried to recapture the 50's/60's audience and/or keep their club bookings. A small number of artists kept going without compromise. ECM started to rise in importance.

2. Record labels curtailed jazz recording significantly. Many gems of this period come on the labels that kept the flame burning - Muse was, in many ways, the new Blue Note. Milestone kept going as far into the 80's as they could. Japanese and European boutique labels largely kept the flame going.

3. While the 50's and 60's are celebrated periods, the majority of artists we look to today were just starting out. I wouldn't necessarily want to be judged solely on my work early in my career, presumably, professionals with talent for what they do continue to learn, grow and become better in their careers. Most of these players were better in the 80's that they ever were. Listen to McCoy Tyner or Dexter Gordon records from this period to hear just how far they had advanced as players. Players that came late in the 60's or early 70's were taking off. Woody Shaw, Arthur Blythe, Joe Bonner, Carlos Garnett, Kenny Barron, etc.

Last edited:

been really enjoying this one. i recently picked up the first pressing which I think was done at Takt and it sounds great. looks like the 2nd reissue was done at Pallas.

Thanks. This is good stuff that I‘d not heard (or heard of) before. You probably know this, but I think you mean the 1st pressing in the name “Ibrahim Khalil Shahib” bc original is from 1969 (in given name Chris Schilder), and the price is stratospheric and I assume pretty rare bc hasn’t sold on Discogs since Nov. 2020.

Too bad shipping to US is almost as much as the record itself!

Thanks. This is good stuff that I‘d not heard (or heard of) before. You probably know this, but I think you mean the 1st pressing in the name “Ibrahim Khalil Shahib” bc original is from 1969 (in given name Chris Schilder), and the price is stratospheric and I assume pretty rare bc hasn’t sold on Discogs since Nov. 2020.

Too bad shipping to US is almost as much as the record itself!
I meant first reissue pressing haha. this bandcamp is the 2nd reissue pressing and done at pallas instead of takt. I bought mine for $25 from someone on reddit the other week, but I bet this reissue ends up at Dusty Groove again. Can sign up for an arrival notice here

Is similar to the recent Art Blakey live album: an enjoyable listen, but not necessarily essential.

I’m happy to have it, but it’s unlikely to be the first album I reach for when I’m in the mood to listen to Bill Evans.
Ok, here goes.

I have the Craft On A Friday Evening. It is great. It has far, far better sound than the Resonance RSD stuff, and this period of Bill Evans is under appreciated.

Like most jazz musicians, Bill Evans only got better as he got older. In this music, practice and experience pay off.

So - if the price is right, grab it. Bill was really at a new peak around this time.

While you are at it, find the recent-ish Live In Tokyo Japanese Sony remaster, it is fantastic
1st spin on vinyl. Very enjoyable later (and sober ?) Evans. Local had 2 copies left, used up trade credit. Cheers to you both for the recommendation.
20220412_134723.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you enjoy it! If you don’t have it already, On a Monday Evening is worth checking out, too.

And to put my earlier comment in context, I have 26 Bill Evans albums in my collection, and I almost never pass up an opportunity to pick up more. Latest addition was an OG of You Must Believe In Spring, of course right before the new reissue was announced! I like it all, but probably grab the earlier stuff more often than the later releases, just because those Verve and Riverside albums are so damn good.
His duets with Bennett have always been a favorite of mine. Available on vinyl (and cheap) as The Tony Bennett Bill Evans Album and Tony Bennett Bill Evans Together Again and The quite spectacular digital compilation package: The Complete Tony Bennett/Bill Evans Recordings.

I also have the Fantasy Box set on digital. A bit off the beaten path.

1649832184514.png
1649832510595.png
1649832551765.png
1649832412567.png

Last edited:
For those of you that didnt see it over in the Definitive thread:

5000 copies

Friday (April 15th) at 12:00pm PST / 3:00pm EST, accessible via your unique code.

Screenshot 2022-04-13 at 16.58.14.png

Bill Evans - You Must Believe In Spring seems to be sold out on the craft site as a pre-order.

Seems Amazon can still take pre-orders but I wouldn’t hesitate long if you want to get your hands on this one. I panic pre-ordered through Amazon today when I saw Craft was sold out. If @Ethos99 is able to get some copies up I’ll cancel my order at AMZ.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up!

The new Chick Akoustic Band Live 3Lp vinyl is out tomorrow. The streaming quality is pretty stunning. Amz has a really good price on the 3Lp.

Last edited:
Among a bunch of recent jazz pickups, this has been the highlight. I’ve only streamed it before, so have nothing to compare this to. Vinyl is typically silent for a Japanese pressing. It sounds very good, but on the warm side. I bought this over the OJC bc I’d read some good reviews of other releases in Victor’s “Prestige Original Recording Series,” and I would be interested to hear the OJC or an original to understand whether that’s how it was recorded or the result of decisions by Victor in Japan or, I suppose, something else entirely.

Regardless, I love the album and this is a great copy w/ pristine vinyl.258EFE88-5E95-4BEC-9695-69C831DC0662.jpeg

Little more info coming out now on the Norah Jones - Come Away With Me 20th Anniversary Reissue coming out.

Ted Jensen is listed as the mastering engineer for this reissue.
"New remastering of the eight-time Grammy®-winning album by Ted Jensen from Sterling Sound, engineer on the original album."
Source: Come Away With Me - 20th Anniversary (LP) by Norah Jones | The Sound of Vinyl AU

Jensen is said to master only in digital now, but his mixes are well respected. And if Ryan K Smith @ Sterling does the cutting to vinyl we could still be in for a good record, but might have to wait and see where this one stacks up.
Preview track from The Anniversary Edition is up

Bill Evans - You Must Believe In Spring seems to be sold out on the craft site as a pre-order.

Seems Amazon can still take pre-orders but I wouldn’t hesitate long if you want to get your hands on this one. I panic pre-ordered through Amazon today when I saw Craft was sold out. If @Ethos99 is able to get some copies up I’ll cancel my order at AMZ.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up!

I did exactly the same. Noticed it had sold out through Craft & panic ordered a copy through Amazon. I'm hoping more sellers will get it nearer the release date

Thought there was a concert photography thread, but couldn't find it...

Anyway, here are some shots of yesterday's Sons of Kemet concert. I still have to weed out some more, but I'm liking these few shots I have. Hope you enjoy!

Theon Cross and Eddie Hicks
I got several edits of this shot because I loved how it turned out.

IMG20220416223002-02.jpeg

Shabaka Hutchings and Tom SkinnerIMG20220416231236-01.jpeg

Sons of Kemet at the Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach, CAIMG20220416232057-02.jpeg

Sons of Kemet
Love the colours on this one
IMG20220416234948-01.jpeg

Shabaka Hutchings, flute solo 🔥IMG20220416230741-01.jpeg

Anyway, here are some shots of yesterday's Sons of Kemet concert. I still have to weed out some more, but I'm liking these few shots I have. Hope you enjoy!

View attachment 136027
Saw them on April 5. What an mesmerizing show! Thanks for posting these! 🔥

Theon Cross and Eddie Hicks
I got several edits of this shot because I loved how it turned out.

View attachment 136027

Shabaka Hutchings and Tom SkinnerView attachment 136028

Sons of Kemet at the Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach, CAView attachment 136029

Sons of Kemet
Love the colours on this one
View attachment 136030

Shabaka Hutchings, flute solo 🔥View attachment 136031
There is a photography thread in Misc and a Concert thread in Gen. M&V, but no combo category.

Back