Jazz

I love the 4 LPs that comprise of this Art Pepper box set. Pepper really had an amazing sound and creativity at the very end of his life (comparable, perhaps, to Bill Evans' very last recordings).

But, as I commented on discogs, I lament that this box is simply the original 4 LPs (3 of which are not hard to find and the original sound quality is nice), whereas the CD box set version has at least 4 LPs worth of great bonus material -- different takes but also a bunch of other songs. Seems like a missed opportunity where they could have released something unique. Maybe a future RSD release?
Speaking for myself, I really dislike sets that have tons of different takes of the same songs. I have some of the Mosaic box sets that do that and never listen to them. I personally tend to listen to sets like that on streaming instead.

Speaking for myself, I really dislike sets that have tons of different takes of the same songs. I have some of the Mosaic box sets that do that and never listen to them. I personally tend to listen to sets like that on streaming instead.
I agree with you @MikeH. I hate listening to several takes in a row of the same song. But have you actually checked out the "bonus tracks" on the CD version? You could easily put together a great 4LP box (or more) without repeating a single song. Sure, some of them would be alternate takes of the original albums, but those original ones used wouldn't need to be repeated. And I count at least 10 extra songs -- especially from the Stardust session, which featured Charlie Haden, Billy Higgins, and George Cables.

Or if not a box set, I suppose a 2LP version of Stardust would suffice.

I had seen that on reddit too. Really disappointing. There were a few albums that they said were the AS pressings and might not have been. I don't remember the verbiage on the site but you should try to get a return or get your money back and just hold out for the AS ones to be restocked elsewhere.
Yeah waiting on a response. Looks like they corrected it on their website, changing the listing and lowering the price and making a new OOS listing for the AS versions. So I'll probably just send them back and get a refund. Disappointing but at least I was 1/3.

I agree with you @MikeH. I hate listening to several takes in a row of the same song. But have you actually checked out the "bonus tracks" on the CD version? You could easily put together a great 4LP box (or more) without repeating a single song. Sure, some of them would be alternate takes of the original albums, but those original ones used wouldn't need to be repeated. And I count at least 10 extra songs -- especially from the Stardust session, which featured Charlie Haden, Billy Higgins, and George Cables.

Or if not a box set, I suppose a 2LP version of Stardust would suffice.

I remember looking at the CD track listing when it was announced on vinyl. I thought there were too many repeats for me but I’d have to look again. An expanded version of one or two albums would be cool though! I’d be more inclined to get breakout discs than the box set I think

If anyone comes across a release schedule for those Prestige and/or the Impulse! 60th reissues, lmk.
are you talking about the AP Prestiges? as far as i know there's no release schedule. they are just releasing them as they are pressed. seems to be the same as all the other APs--one day you'll get an email saying the represses are in stock.

Acoustic Sounds Verve Series Schedule with updates: *new dates0

John Coltrane Live At The Village Vanguard [AS Series] ETA 1/14/22
John Coltrane Crescent [AS Series] ETA 1/14/22
Duke Ellington & John Coltrane [AS Series] ETA 2/25/22
John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman [AS Series] *ETA 3/11/22
Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins [AS Series] *ETA 4/8/22
Roy Haynes Out Of The Afternoon [AS Series] TBA
Oscar Peterson We Take Requests [AS Series] TBA
Oscar Peterson Night Train [AS Series] TBA
Ella & Louis [AS Series] TBA
Ella & Louis Again 2LP [AS Series] TBA
Bill Evans Trio 65' [AS Series] ETA *5/13/22
Bill Evans At Town Hall Vol1 [AS Series] TBA

@stpaulbrowns

Last edited:
Acoustic Sounds Verve Series Schedule with updates: *new dates0

John Coltrane Live At The Village Vanguard [AS Series] ETA 1/14/22
John Coltrane Crescent [AS Series] ETA 1/14/22
Duke Ellington & John Coltrane [AS Series] ETA 2/25/22
John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman [AS Series] *ETA 3/11/22
Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins [AS Series] *ETA 4/8/22
Roy Haynes Out Of The Afternoon {AS Series] TBA
Oscar Peterson We Take Requests [AS Series] TBA
Oscar Peterson Night Train [AS Series] TBA
Ella & Louis [AS Series] TBA
Ella & Louis Again 2LP [AS Series] TBA
Bill Evans Trio 65' [AS Series] ETA *5/13/22
Bill Evans At Town Hall Vol1 [AS Series] TBA

@stpaulbrowns
1639697369613.gif

Carolina Soul has an unbelievable collection up for auction on the Bay right now. Over 700 LPs and it looks like 80% of them are signed. There are some AMAZING gems!!! I'm going to bid on more than a few!! I don't know if you guys are into autographs, but it's worth checking out: Items for sale by carolinasoul | eBay
Yea they have some fantastic stuff (which is kinda the norm now). But sadly, everything they sell now goes for crazy amounts of money in the end. It's very rare to get a decent deal from them anymore.

Carolina Soul has an unbelievable collection up for auction on the Bay right now. Over 700 LPs and it looks like 80% of them are signed. There are some AMAZING gems!!! I'm going to bid on more than a few!! I don't know if you guys are into autographs, but it's worth checking out: Items for sale by carolinasoul | eBay
I have a load in my watchlist but as @MikeH said, they do for crazy amounts nowadays.

Used to be a lot more reasonable in the past. I used to be able to order a few from them and have them deliver overseas in one bundle and it would still come out as really reasonable. There’s a UK store called Vinyl-House-UK which is similar, crazy high sales prices there as well.

I have a load in my watchlist but as @MikeH said, they do for crazy amounts nowadays.

Used to be a lot more reasonable in the past. I used to be able to order a few from them and have them deliver overseas in one bundle and it would still come out as really reasonable. There’s a UK store called Vinyl-House-UK which is similar, crazy high sales prices there as well.
I got lots of steals from them back in the day. Now they are pretty much the "go-to" ebay jazz reseller.

Yea they have some fantastic stuff (which is kinda the norm now). But sadly, everything they sell now goes for crazy amounts of money in the end. It's very rare to get a decent deal from them anymore.
Yeah, this person "Lew" really had an amazing collection -- each signed one with the ticket stubs attached.

I agree it's hard to get a good deal from them on Ebay anymore. But the local store is a different story. For example, a few months back they sold off the signed CDs from this collection, which of course isn't as great as the LPs, but the prices were $5-$15 range.

Every Saturday morning, Carolina Soul posts on Instagram about what LPs they'll put out in the store that day for the week. If any of you on N&G ever see your white whale on that post, DM me and I may be able to snag it for you.

Yeah, this person "Lew" really had an amazing collection -- each signed one with the ticket stubs attached.

I agree it's hard to get a good deal from them on Ebay anymore. But the local store is a different story. For example, a few months back they sold off the signed CDs from this collection, which of course isn't as great as the LPs, but the prices were $5-$15 range.

Every Saturday morning, Carolina Soul posts on Instagram about what LPs they'll put out in the store that day for the week. If any of you on N&G ever see your white whale on that post, DM me and I may be able to snag it for you.

Wow!!! 5-15 for signed jazz CDs? That’s amazing honestly. I love signed memorabilia— I know these are going to go for wild prices but I can’t help but try anyway. Even still it’s fun looking at what Lew had, and the stickers, programs, and stubs he used to catalogue it all. It’s really an amazing collection.

Yeah waiting on a response. Looks like they corrected it on their website, changing the listing and lowering the price and making a new OOS listing for the AS versions. So I'll probably just send them back and get a refund. Disappointing but at least I was 1/3.
Waiting on a response for the same issue as well. I guess they are the same company as udiscover because I got the same response as I have for my issue with udiscover as well. So disappointed!

happy to report that the AP Prestige Mono represses sound awesome so far. I'll have to compare the Lush Life One Step with the AP but for almost 1/3 the price at MSRP, the AP is really fantastic. Rollins Plays For Bird will be spun later today but I'm expecting it to sound awesome too. Anybody else grab either of those reissues before they sold out?

[cross-post from the pre-order thread]

Pretty pricey ($65 CAD shipped to me, anyway) but Chelsea Carmichael's album is up for vinyl pre-order!
Due late March. (Also, it doesn't look it from this image, but I'm pretty sure it's a 2LP)

the-river-doesnt-like-strangers-chelsea-carmichael.jpg

happy to report that the AP Prestige Mono represses sound awesome so far. I'll have to compare the Lush Life One Step with the AP but for almost 1/3 the price at MSRP, the AP is really fantastic. Rollins Plays For Bird will be spun later today but I'm expecting it to sound awesome too. Anybody else grab either of those reissues before they sold out?
I grabbed Lush Life and I'm digging it. It's my first copy.

Haven't snagged Rollins Plays For Bird yet. Do you recommend it?

Back