Jazz

jazzlondonlive collates a lot of the jazz gigs into a calendar which might be useful. I personally don't have any upcoming gigs planned but there is bound to be some good ones.

In terms of record shops, Soho is a great area because there are quite a few shops all in walking distance to each other (Sounds Of The Universe, Sister Ray, Reckless Records and Phonica). Outside of Soho, it's a lot more dependent on if you are in a particular area anyway as they tend to be spread out. Honest Jon's 'pop up' shop in the Coal Drops Yard (just behind Kings Cross Station) is surprisingly good for a mix of rarer and new jazz. Their larger shop at Portobello road is really good too. If you end up near Rough Trade East then Flashback records is worth walking to. There is also a shop called Yo-Yo Records which has a lot of rarer British jazz but tends to be on the pricier side, I have never been myself as its a bit out of the way but I have been wanting to go.
@Selaws - This is very helpful! I'll be in London with family March 18-30 - staying near St. Mark's.

I've already got a Google Map going with all the local shops. Any thoughts on Vinyl Addicts, Vintage Vinyl, World of Echo or Play Vinyl? (I already have Flashback, Reckless and Phonica pinned in case I'm find an excuse to be out in that area.)

Anything else in that area worth a look? Jazz clubs? Pubs/restaurants?

@Selaws - This is very helpful! I'll be in London with family March 18-30 - staying near St. Mark's.

I've already got a Google Map going with all the local shops. Any thoughts on Vinyl Addicts, Vintage Vinyl, World of Echo or Play Vinyl? (I already have Flashback, Reckless and Phonica pinned in case I'm find an excuse to be out in that area.)

Anything else in that area worth a look? Jazz clubs? Pubs/restaurants?
Looking at your list I'm assuming you meant St. Pauls?

As it happens I work a few mins walk away from St. Pauls Cathedral (pre-covid, mostly work from home now) and have visited a few of these. Vinyl Addicts and Vintage Vinyl are both part of markets so just double check they are open when you plan to go. Vinyl Addicts in Spitalfields is pretty good, they used to have semi-regular record fairs there pre-covid which were quite good. Vintage Vinyl is in the 'hipster' part over in brick lane and it's ok but mainly there for tourists from what I remember (so a bit expensive and more general). I haven't been to the others you mentioned.

I was going to suggest the Ace Hotel in Shoreditch which used to have a pop-up record shop which was good, but I just googled it and looks like it didn't survive Covid and has closed for good annoyingly.

Looking at your list I'm assuming you meant St. Pauls?

As it happens I work a few mins walk away from St. Pauls Cathedral (pre-covid, mostly work from home now) and have visited a few of these. Vinyl Addicts and Vintage Vinyl are both part of markets so just double check they are open when you plan to go. Vinyl Addicts in Spitalfields is pretty good, they used to have semi-regular record fairs there pre-covid which were quite good. Vintage Vinyl is in the 'hipster' part over in brick lane and it's ok but mainly there for tourists from what I remember (so a bit expensive and more general). I haven't been to the others you mentioned.

I was going to suggest the Ace Hotel in Shoreditch which used to have a pop-up record shop which was good, but I just googled it and looks like it didn't survive Covid and has closed for good annoyingly.
I think St. Luke's is a nearby church. Here's the general area we'll be staying.

Attachments

• 4F90F20B-0B24-4B67-97EC-F0161BC345D9.jpeg
    4F90F20B-0B24-4B67-97EC-F0161BC345D9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Decent location, right near Old Street so getting around should be easy!
Yikes, that map got BIG! :oops: (I posted on mobile.) Sorry about that y'all!

And yeah, my daughter is going to be at Queen Mary University next semester, so that kinda limited our living radius. It will be a part of London I'm not that familiar with.

Picked up this box set today as part of a trade at a local shop. I was surprised to learn it was a Black Friday release, because I don't recall having heard about it and jazz releases like this usually have some traction here. Anyway, looks cool and figured I'd share it.

ArtP.jpg

ArtP2.jpg

Picked up this box set today as part of a trade at a local shop. I was surprised to learn it was a Black Friday release, because I don't recall having heard about it and jazz releases like this usually have some traction here. Anyway, looks cool and figured I'd share it.

View attachment 121297

View attachment 121298
So In Love and New York Album were re done by Analogue Productions I believe in the past (Different covers). They're very good albums. I have them in digital. I bet you really like them.

View attachment 121297

View attachment 121298
Let me know how this one was. It was on the pricier side when I looked and didn’t think I needed it, despite wanting more art pepper albums

View attachment 121297

View attachment 121298
I had it in my mind that I would get this if I saw it, love Art Pepper and this looks fantastic!

maybe I missed this announcement but looks like Bill Evans at Town Hall Vol 1 is getting the Acoustic Sounds series treatment?

maybe I missed this announcement but looks like Bill Evans at Town Hall Vol 1 is getting the Acoustic Sounds series treatment?

It was announced, then delayed. The last eta I had was April/22' I think ?

Let me know how this one was. It was on the pricier side when I looked and didn’t think I needed it, despite wanting more art pepper albums

I had it in my mind that I would get this if I saw it, love Art Pepper and this looks fantastic!
I've only played the first (So in Love) of the four records, but it sounds great. Nice separation, clarity, and placement of each part within the mix. Pretty much just what you'd hope for with SQ. The box itself/presentation isn't extravagant, but it's nice. Each jacket is of very basic construction, though the artwork looks good. There also is a 14- (or 16-, depending on how you count them) page, full-sized booklet with liner notes and some cool photos. And there's a fold-over insert with the first LP that presents Pepper's own words in response to an interview, as recalled by his wife.

I've only played the first (So in Love) of the four records, but it sounds great. Nice separation, clarity, and placement of each part within the mix. Pretty much just what you'd hope for with SQ. The box itself/presentation isn't extravagant, but it's nice. Each jacket is of very basic construction, though the artwork looks good. There also is a 14- (or 16-, depending on how you count them) page, full-sized booklet with liner notes and some cool photos. And there's a fold-over insert with the first LP that presents Pepper's own words in response to an interview, as recalled by his wife.
awesome! thanks for letting me know. i may need to pick up some of his more essential albums first unless i find this one for a great deal!

I think it was someone here who noticed JazzCenterStage restocked the Nina Simone AS series albums a few weeks ago. Well mine arrived yesterday, and turns out they're just the Back in Black pressings you'll find anywhere. Bleh. The Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson was AS though!

I think it was someone here who noticed JazzCenterStage restocked the Nina Simone AS series albums a few weeks ago. Well mine arrived yesterday, and turns out they're just the Back in Black pressings you'll find anywhere. Bleh. The Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson was AS though!
I had seen that on reddit too. Really disappointing. There were a few albums that they said were the AS pressings and might not have been. I don't remember the verbiage on the site but you should try to get a return or get your money back and just hold out for the AS ones to be restocked elsewhere.

awesome! thanks for letting me know. i may need to pick up some of his more essential albums first unless i find this one for a great deal!
I love the 4 LPs that comprise of this Art Pepper box set. Pepper really had an amazing sound and creativity at the very end of his life (comparable, perhaps, to Bill Evans' very last recordings).

But, as I commented on discogs, I lament that this box is simply the original 4 LPs (3 of which are not hard to find and the original sound quality is nice), whereas the CD box set version has at least 4 LPs worth of great bonus material -- different takes but also a bunch of other songs. Seems like a missed opportunity where they could have released something unique. Maybe a future RSD release?

Back