Jazz

Last edited:
I've been slowly and steadily working at getting my collection into discogs. Just looked up this record and see that its value has gone up quite a bit since I first got it. Guess this goes in the 'you never know' category. And definitely worthy of a spin through the HumminGuru! :D

1640741889138.png
Thanks to @djdavedk for mentioning this one. Wanted to mention it here too. Absurdly low price for 2lp's on Amazon right now.

Important to remember this is a devotional piece with organ drones and singing from Ms. Coltrane that was origionally for her Ashram students. I was happy with streaming it, but for the price I'm grabbing one too.

Here is the full Interview from Ravi Coltrane about the the piece:

Ravi Coltrane - Interview Part 6 (Kirtan: Turiya Sings)
Ravi Coltrane - Interview Part 7 (Kirtan: Turiya Sings)

I've been slowly and steadily working at getting my collection into discogs. Just looked up this record and see that its value has gone up quite a bit since I first got it. Guess this goes in the 'you never know' category. And definitely worthy of a spin through the HumminGuru! :D

Gigi Gryce is an unsung hero in my opinion. His influence can be heard across dozens of albums without any real appreciation heading his way. He abruptly walked away from music and moved to Africa because of business troubles associated with his publishing companies, coupled with complex family issues. The Rat Race Blues has been on my list for a while, I recommend listening to 'Saying Somethin'!' which is pretty great too.

Gigi Gryce is an unsung hero in my opinion. His influence can be heard across dozens of albums without any real appreciation heading his way. He abruptly walked away from music and moved to Africa because of business troubles associated with his publishing companies, coupled with complex family issues. The Rat Race Blues has been on my list for a while, I recommend listening to 'Saying Somethin'!' which is pretty great too.
Cleaned this yesterday, so I'll cue it up soon! Thanks for providing some incentive! I also have a couple of his titles with Donald Byrd (Jazz Lab and Xtacy, which has one of the raciest covers I've seen for a jazz album). I'll have to give those another listen as well.

EDIT: Listened to it. Great album, very melodic, and damned if it doesn’t sound like a new record. Some good playing. Wish I knew the jazz styles well enough to name them. This sounds to me like it’s in the style of the bigger bands, though it’s a quintet (alto sax, trumpet, piano, bass, drums). Nice soloing, mostly staying true to the melodies. Good stuff, on the easy listening side of the scale.

Last edited:
Just in case anyone missed it (I know my forum engagement hasn't been great over the holiday period). But @Edd has what looks like a killer release this month on his vinyl club,

A Sam records title, with a killer line up from a live session in Cannes 1958

"Donald Byrd (Trumpet) Bobby Jaspar (Saxophone-Flute) Walter Davis Jr. (Piano) Doug Watkins (Bass) Art Taylor (Drums) Re-mastered from Master Tapes by François-E-XUAN at Studio 101. Cut by Kevin Gay"

Just in case anyone missed it (I know my forum engagement hasn't been great over the holiday period). But @Edd has what looks like a killer release this month on his vinyl club,

A Sam records title, with a killer line up from a live session in Cannes 1958

"Donald Byrd (Trumpet) Bobby Jaspar (Saxophone-Flute) Walter Davis Jr. (Piano) Doug Watkins (Bass) Art Taylor (Drums) Re-mastered from Master Tapes by François-E-XUAN at Studio 101. Cut by Kevin Gay"

Has anybody from the US ordered from WBC before? I'd love to grab a copy of this one.

Back