Jazz

I would say that the popularity of Quiet Kenny was a surprise all around.

I'm quite active in the jazz circle on Instagram and from what I saw it steamrolled as soon as the first person posted about it being a good release. People were selling and trading them on there for crazy prices. In the past, I believe Craft has released stereo pressings of their mono RSD releases (or vice versa) a few months later, so this could be the case here.

In my opinion though, if you are just getting into jazz I would stay clear of the more pricey limited releases and stick to getting good but affordable reissues of the core jazz albums. This will allow you to really hone in on the specific type of jazz you like without blowing your budget. As @MikeH said, the Zavvi deal is a good way to do this.
It was a pretty desired title before it was even released on forums I am on because of Craft's somewhat new foray into the AAA audiophile world. Also it being limited to 1500 or whatever it was and being a KG AAA cut made quite a few people want it that I saw. I do remember suddenly seeing it everywhere on IG though as soon as RSD hit and while it's a fantastic album, it isn't that well-known. So there was some surprise to me that even people who weren't jazz fans necessarily seeked that one out.

I remember getting into arguments with people on Hoffman (before I wisened up and mostly stopped posting there) about how Craft was actually a solid reissue label who did good work for jazz titles. Most of the know-it-alls over there claimed it was a bad label who did crappy pressings. But ever since they started doing One Steps, the awareness of them as a pretty legit jazz reissue label has skyrocketed. But they have been doing great work for years though with stuff like the Jazz Dispensary titles. A few years ago, Craft did the Chet Baker - It Could Happen To You mono reissue for RSD that was limited to 1,500. You can still get it at close to list price:

I'm still surprised this one is still so low-priced but I guess they have the stereo reissue that's similar price. They did reissue this later with the box set + a stereo breakout, so I'm assuming Quiet Kenny might get the same treatment.

I think it’s Zavvi. I have it bookmarked.
That's the one!, some order a couple for the price to get more of a selection, then pass along there doubles. That, the video above, standard Miles, Trane, Brubeck, etc will get you going and keep you busy for a while!

There is also the streaming option which is a nice primer and allows you to hear and develop your tastes. And you can them do carte-blanche artists you dig.

This means I could possibly skip RSD (which I want to go but… Disney) and then after have Jazz be my next focus.
As others have mentioned, the last few year have been a great time to get into jazz, with Blue Note 80/Classics and their Tone Poet series bringing so many famous and less well known titles back to a wide audience again.

As others have mentioned, the last few year have been a great time to get into jazz, with Blue Note 80/Classics and their Tone Poet series bringing so many famous and less well known titles back to a wide audience again.
I have gotten word of some of the 2022 BN releases and it's going to be another great year of BN! Hit your local store and cherry pick some things they still may have. I have no hesitation recommending Curtis Amy Katanga as it's still available in stores. Dexter Gordon One Flight Up is getting harder to find so grab that asap to.

There is also the Acoustic Sounds Series, we will have to see if the upcoming price increase takes the wind out of that sail.

Last edited:

The current South London scene is also cranking out some amazing contemporary music that is well worth checking out as well. It truly is an exciting time for jazz right now!

Interesting write up on the upcoming Graham Collier release.

"There’s a British noir aesthetic; a Geordie Gil Evans-Axelrod"

I have been listening to the late period of Coltrane heavily this week. Some folks in my circle really do not enjoy his work post-A Love Supreme, but I firmly disagree. There are some pieces here and there that I do not particularly care for, but in general I can celebrate the entire Coltrane catalog. How do you all feel about the post-great quartet period?

I have been listening to the late period of Coltrane heavily this week. Some folks in my circle really do not enjoy his work post-A Love Supreme, but I firmly disagree. There are some pieces here and there that I do not particularly care for, but in general I can celebrate the entire Coltrane catalog. How do you all feel about the post-great quartet period?

I really love Kulu Sé Mama and Ascension quite a bit. I'm not familiar enough with the rest of his post-A Love Supreme catalogue to comment more thoroughly than that though.

I'm not a fan of most lists of albums for people to get into jazz, because many of these lists only include albums released in the 50s and 60s. They make jazz feel like a dead genre. Buying these records does nothing to support current musicians. Also, listening to these albums provides no insight whatsoever into the musical development in jazz over the last 50 YEARS. Unfortunately, many current jazz artists don't get much support, and can't get their albums released on vinyl. Consequently, many great albums can only be heard digitally. Anyhoo, in the spirit of promoting "present-day" jazz, here are 12 albums that are easily as good as any albums on that guy's list, but were released in the last decade.
2010s jazz.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not a fan most lists of albums for people to get into jazz, because many of these lists only include albums released in the 50s and 60s. They make jazz feel like a dead genre. Buying these records does nothing to support current musicians. Also, listening to these albums provides no insight whatsoever into the musical development in jazz over the last 50 YEARS. Unfortunately, many current jazz artists don't get much support, and can't get their albums released on vinyl. Consequently, many great albums can only be heard digitally. Anyhoo, in the spirit of promoting "present-day" jazz, here are 12 albums that are easily as good as any albums on that guy's list, but were released in the last decade.
View attachment 112303
Ooh for sure, I'm a big Cohen, Redman, Washington, Alexander, Akinmusire, Scott, Hargrove, Porter, Zenon, Mehldau, Sanchez, Spaulding, Sabbagh, Chestnut, etc fan as much as anyone but you made the impression you were a jazz newbie, but apparently not, so alas. You also have to keep in mind live jazz has been shut down for 18 months so that has also had a big effect on new artists.

I'm not hugely familiar with his later work, but I love both versions of Meditations (specially First Meditations) and Transition. The latter may even be my favorite Coltrane record. I've sampled other albums of the era, but I haven't enjoyed them as much, although that may change sometime.

I agree with you. To add to the others I picked up this a while ago, which I like

Back