Jazz

I can't imagine that it is anything but hi-res digital... but it's a nice cross-section of titles on the 4LP retrospective

Tracklist:

LP 1: Side 1

1. The John Coltrane Quartet — Africa

LP 1: Side 2

1. Max Roach — Garvey's Ghost

2. Quincy Jones and his Orchestra — Hard Sock Dance

3. John Coltrane — Up 'Gainst the Wall

4. Elvin Jones/Jimmy Garrison Sextet — Just Us Blues

LP 2: Side 1

1. John Coltrane — Alabama

2. Charles Mingus — Better Get Hit in Yo' Soul

3. Shirley Scott Trio — Freedom Dance

4. Yusef Lateef — Sister Mamie

LP 2: Side 2

1. Archie Shepp — Malcolm, Malcolm—Semper Malcolm

2. Stanley Turrentine — Good Lookin' Out

3. Earl Hines — Black and Tan Fantasy

4. Oliver Nelson — The Rights of All

LP 3: Side 1

1. Pharoah Sanders — The Creator Has a Master Plan (edit)

2. John Coltrane & Alice Coltrane — Reverend King

LP 3: Side 2

1. The Ahmad Jamal Trio — The Awakening

2. Albert Ayler — Music Is the Healing Force of the Universe

3. Charlie Haden — We Shall Overcome

LP 4: Side 1

1. Alice Coltrane — Blue Nile

2. Pharoah Sanders — Astral Traveling

3. Archie Shepp — Blues for Brother George Jackson

4. Michael White — Lament (Mankind)

LP 4: Side 2

1. Dewey Redman — Imani

2. Marion Brown — Bismillahi 'Rrahmani 'Rrahim

3. John Handy — Hard Work

Just on a side note, what kinda Miles Davis live albums do you guys own/recommend? So far I've limited myself to just the Davis and Coltrane Final Tour 1960 (the VMP release), and the Miles Davis Quintet in Europe 1967 box set....I also have Live Evil and Agharta on order. Seems like there's a ton of late 60s/early 70s live albums out there so just wondering what else to add!

Just on a side note, what kinda Miles Davis live albums do you guys own/recommend? So far I've limited myself to just the Davis and Coltrane Final Tour 1960 (the VMP release), and the Miles Davis Quintet in Europe 1967 box set....I also have Live Evil and Agharta on order. Seems like there's a ton of late 60s/early 70s live albums out there so just wondering what else to add!
I love live Miles. I'm just listening to At Carnegie Hall if you want a more straight ahead live disc from his earlier years. You can find two discs from The Plugged Nickel pretty cheaply if you like the Second Great Quintet (and I adore them). I've also played the Europe 1969 set today and love that too - it's wild and brutal at times but utterly wonderful. Into the 70s it's worth streaming a few to get a feel of what you like - Live Evil and Agharta probably are my favourites but there's a dozen others and they've all got their charms. I've for Dark Magus, In Concert (looks like On the Corner cover art), At Fillmore, Bitches Brew Live, and a great bootleg from Japan 73. The Cellar Door and Fillmore CD boxsets are also worth checking out (and the Live at Newport boxset has gigs from quite a few different periods so you can hear in one set how he changed over time). For me it's almost impossible to have too much live Miles...

The second quintet stuff with Shorter/Hancock/Carter/Williams is basically the pinnacle of jazz at that time IMO, and quite possibly the best group ever.

edit: I misread that and didn't see "live" but I'm leaving this hot take here for posterity.

I love live Miles. I'm just listening to At Carnegie Hall if you want a more straight ahead live disc from his earlier years. You can find two discs from The Plugged Nickel pretty cheaply if you like the Second Great Quintet (and I adore them). I've also played the Europe 1969 set today and love that too - it's wild and brutal at times but utterly wonderful. Into the 70s it's worth streaming a few to get a feel of what you like - Live Evil and Agharta probably are my favourites but there's a dozen others and they've all got their charms. I've for Dark Magus, In Concert (looks like On the Corner cover art), At Fillmore, Bitches Brew Live, and a great bootleg from Japan 73. The Cellar Door and Fillmore CD boxsets are also worth checking out (and the Live at Newport boxset has gigs from quite a few different periods so you can hear in one set how he changed over time). For me it's almost impossible to have too much live Miles...
I was about to tag you as our resident expert/superfan.

Is there a definitive Plugged Nickle set? Its one that I find myself streaming quite a bit but I have never come across it on vinyl at any record shop before.

I was about to tag you as our resident expert/superfan.

Is there a definitive Plugged Nickle set? Its one that I find myself streaming quite a bit but I have never come across it on vinyl at any record shop before.
There's a boxset but it's pricey. I have these two, which I found v cheaply over time. They're fabulous

I’ve got just about all of them on CD or vinyl, Agharta ands Pangaea are great, all the 70’s ones are worth a listen , some sound a lot better than others. Plugged Nickel is essential, I’ve got the box set, earlier , Four and More and My Funny Valentine are superb, second Quintet with George Coleman instead of Shorter. Also We Want Miles isn’t bad for 80’s Miles. And the bootleg series are all great, cd’s are fine for them, a couple come with DVD’s that the Vinyl doesn’t have and the sound quality isn’t really much of an improvement, that Europe 69 set is great, but it’s full on so maybe have a listen online to see if it’s your thing, If you like Agharta you should be OK with it but it’s even more full on than that and Jack plays a lot busier than Al, who basically just plays a backbeat the whole record.Lots to explore though and so much variety , you’ll never be bored!

uuuuh, crank it people!

Nice - I'm a big fusion guy (duh) and those shows were so great. Ponty and Gambale!

Anyway, missing Corea already. Been playing his music non-stop since the news hit yesterday afternoon. I forgot how much I like the Circle band and the trio that put out the ARC record (and The Song of Singing). It all lead me to Braxton. All of that polydor stuff is saved for the area of the desert island that allows for guilty pleasures. Hah.

That five disc trio set from Japan from about 10 years ago is simply awesome. CD only so no fetishism, sorry,

Yes, that late 60’s early 70’s Chick is Out there, love those albums, played Circle yesterday and early one called IS, avant- garde!
Nice - I'm a big fusion guy (duh) and those shows were so great. Ponty and Gambale!

Anyway, missing Corea already. Been playing his music non-stop since the news hit yesterday afternoon. I forgot how much I like the Circle band and the trio that put out the ARC record (and The Song of Singing). It all lead me to Braxton. All of that polydor stuff is saved for the area of the desert island that allows for guilty pleasures. Hah.

That five disc trio set from Japan from about 10 years ago is simply awesome. CD only so no fetishism, sorry,

Good lord is this a loaded question. Rabbit hole time. I suppose it depends on what era you are looking for. This definitely brings back memories of being on the Miles list about 20 years ago and all of the CDr trading we used to do. I have so much of this stuff sitting around. Love it all.

Plugged Nickel is arguably the best but it was a Mosaic set and it was expensive at the time (I went for the CDs) and it is outrageously expensive on the secondary market (like all of the Columbia mosaics).

Personally, as I've gotten older, I only have patience for getting my ass off the couch to flip Music Matters or AP 45s since I find the experience from an audiophile standpoint to be worth it (plus those records mean so much to me). As for live music and a long time collector of live shows, I prefer to hear them in one sitting. Some suggestions if you are not adverse to CDs:
-As mentioned, the Cellar Door is ridiculously great (I see that you have Live Evil coming, which has edited performances of some of the stuff, but not the best stuff imho)
-The 1964 Benefit shows that begat Four and More and My Funny Valentine. You can find grey market pressings, I believe, or originals too.
-The Blackhawk material with Mobley is quite nice and underrated. Another rare Mosaic.
-Miles In Tokyo. I was never sure this really worked all that well but damn if I don't love Sam rivers so it's a sentimental favorite. I think Get Down did a reissue.
-70s stuff before retirement. Duh. Most is Four Men with Beards that I don't think is that bad.
-We Want Miles. Probabaly a contrversial pick but damn do I love Mike Stern. Easy to find on LP.
-Don't forget the second volume of the Bootleg series with the Lost Quintet. There is your topical Corea content. Man, I remember dying over those boots and Corea in particular (though not as nuts as the Isle of Wight stuff)

Watching this trailer below, are we to assume that this is part of the Acoustic Sounds/Verve series or is this a standalone campaign separate from it?

I interpret this to mean this is separate and distinct. They will want more "man on the street" pricing for these, I imagine. As you and I both know from the endless hand-wringing on Hoffman, the tapes are probably long gone anyway.

I edited this to say that I sincerely hope that I am wrong and that these will all come out via AS. The press release and video do not make that clear. The AS series has been great and if they have the tapes, let's do this. Given their history, I don't trust the parent company and they do not have a force of nature like Don Was at the helm but I'd love to be surprised.

Last edited:
Yes, that late 60’s early 70’s Chick is Out there, love those albums, played Circle yesterday and early one called IS, avant- garde!
Yup - that whole period with Is and Sundance never really seemed to really click (as one might say, "achieve liftoff"). I have it all on the complete CD set myself. It's enjoyable to *me* but I'd say it's about four tiers below prime Corea.

Press release seems to indicate that the stand alone releases will be Acoustic Sounds!

The acclaimed audiophile vinyl reissues series, Acoustic Sounds, (Verve/UMe) will celebrate Impulse! all year long with high-end, audiophile grade pressings of integral records from the label's vaunted catalog, starting with Ray Charles' Genius + Soul = Jazz, which was one of the orange label's first four commercial releases in 1961. Pre-order Genius + Soul = Jazz here. Gil Evans' Out of the Cool (pre-order here), Oliver Nelson's The Blues And The Abstract Truth, Sonny Rollins' On Impulse! and many more are set for release throughout the year. Utilizing the skills of the top mastering engineers and the unsurpassed production craft of Quality Record Pressings, all titles will be mastered from the original master tapes, pressed on 180-gram vinyl and packaged by Stoughton Printing Co.in high-quality tip-on gatefold jackets. Like all Acoustic Sounds LPs, the releases will be supervised by Chad Kassem, CEO of Acoustic Sounds, the world's largest source for audiophile recordings.
Here you go @btf1980 , Mike posted this .

Back