Jazz

I brought the series up on the Audiophile thread and someone mentioned the box. The music itself is top notch (my favourite of Petersons whole discography) so I imagine this set if fantastic.
Right! Couldn't remember which thread and was a bit lazy to search haha. Seems this is a preorder coming out in June.

Wasn't somebody looking for this recently?

Preorder and part of the Target Buy one Get one sale, so it works out to about $100 shipped if you buy + cancel trick it.

I might have to move to America for one of these target sales.

I was interested in this box, but I think @seelaw persuaded me I might be better digging out some OG copies.

I might have to move to America for one of these target sales.

I was interested in this box, but I think @seelaw persuaded me I might be better digging out some OG copies.
I'm sure the box is fantastic but it's not like the originals are crazy expensive and I bet a lot of them could actually be found in bargain bins and the like. I bet each one could be found in decent shape for less than a tenner each.

I'm sure the box is fantastic but it's not like the originals are crazy expensive and I bet a lot of them could actually be found in bargain bins and the like. I bet each one could be found in decent shape for less than a tenner each.

I think you're right. If I can get decent originals at a reasonable price. I'll take that route. I have a few other OG MPS records that sound pretty great, and were cheap.

I also don't feel in any rush, but something that I can keep an eye out for. Almost feels like pre-lockdown record hunting, wait until I go to a shop & pick up something I like. It's definitely a bit easier on the wallet :)

I think you're right. If I can get decent originals at a reasonable price. I'll take that route. I have a few other OG MPS records that sound pretty great, and were cheap.

I also don't feel in any rush, but something that I can keep an eye out for. Almost feels like pre-lockdown record hunting, wait until I go to a shop & pick up something I like. It's definitely a bit easier on the wallet :)
Yeah, 100% that's how I am with them as well. I haven't gone out of my way to buy them but if I see them at carboots or my local cheap I pick them up. Now I know others are interested I will pick up any duplicates to PIF, im sure I have found multiple copies and left them before.

Yeah, 100% that's how I am with them as well. I haven't gone out of my way to buy them but if I see them at carboots or my local cheap I pick them up. Now I know others are interested I will pick up any duplicates to PIF, im sure I have found multiple copies and left them before.

I'd definitely be interested if you pick any up

Here's a PSA that might interest a few of you.

For a while now the Freddie Redd Quartet with Jackie Mclean - The Connection has been a go-to album of mine, I just love every track with its dark tones and sharp sax lines (I'm actually playing it now!). I have been wanting to watch the film for a while but could never find a copy anywhere. I checked youtube loads over the past year or so and I never found the full film until it appeared the other day (weirdly it says it was posted 6-months ago but I never found it). I have since downloaded it and its a really great film that matches the soundtrack perfectly. Incredibly dark but with jovial interactions and the whole performance is even more hard-hitting knowing that several of the actors (including Redd and McLean) were addicts. Well worth watching, each frame could easily be a nice print, and the only downside is that there are hardcoded Spanish subs, but that doesn't bother me personally).

Heres the link:

Don't know if anyone in the UK is trying to track down the Acoustic sounds titles. Should probably post in the deals thread, but WH Smith has a spend £50 get £10 off offer. They seem to be stocking all the recent Acoustic Sounds titles, Gearbox titles & a bunch of Steeplechase, so might be worth having a look. Might not work out cheaper than anywhere else.

Record company The Orchard?? Is this some sort of Boot or grey label release ? not too much detail. I have the MPS box, I’ll have to give them another listen, haven’t pulled them out in years.
Wasn't somebody looking for this recently?

Preorder and part of the Target Buy one Get one sale, so it works out to about $100 shipped if you buy + cancel trick it.

Record company The Orchard?? Is this some sort of Boot or grey label release ? not too much detail. I have the MPS box, I’ll have to give them another listen, haven’t pulled them out in years.
Totally boot.

True MPS vinyl reissues are fantastic, AAA. OG German pressings are also amazing, but avoid OG US pressings - nowhere near the German.

The orchard is likely the Sony Music subgroup. They are based in NY and we're acquired by Don't 1-2 years ago.

The MPS also shows up in Amazon as a pre-order for $199

The Orchard is not a boot... @RHANDMJ is incorrect...not sure the point of making stuff up without researching hah. As @HuddieLedbetter said, they are owned by Sony and are a huge distribution arm. They are likely just distributing for MPS in the US. Target's details like label aren't super accurate aside from the UPCs. The UPC on this one shows it's the same as the 2014 AAA reissue from MPS and Edel Germany.

Yeah That's the one I have , thanks for the info on The Orchard, I have never heard of that, but seems to be a US thing, so why would I ?
The Orchard is not a boot... @RHANDMJ is incorrect...not sure the point of making stuff up without researching hah. As @HuddieLedbetter said, they are owned by Sony and are a huge distribution arm. They are likely just distributing for MPS in the US. Target's details like label aren't super accurate aside from the UPCs. The UPC on this one shows it's the same as the 2014 AAA reissue from MPS and Edel Germany.

Sorry if I'm wrong about Orchard, it does seem weird though, that this is coming up for pre-order when it was released years ago by MPS. I have no idea why a retailer like Target would list a distributor as the originating label, and that shows nothing about the label the release is actually on. I would be very suspicious about this if pre-ordering.

Not that I have to worry about that, Target ran out of Canada with their heads up their asses a few years ago after barely surviving two years. The Target brand in Canada is only for comedy clubs.

Sorry if I'm wrong about Orchard, it does seem weird though, that this is coming up for pre-order when it was released years ago by MPS. I have no idea why a retailer like Target would list a distributor as the originating label, and that shows nothing about the label the release is actually on. I would be very suspicious about this if pre-ordering.

Not that I have to worry about that, Target ran out of Canada with their heads up their asses a few years ago after barely surviving two years. The Target brand in Canada is only for comedy clubs.
Not that weird to me! It's likely just a repress/reissue of the one you speak of considering it has the same UPC and it seems that the 2014 box is largely OOP everywhere. It happens all the time when something comes back into print...there's nothing to be suspicious about with this. Target's UPCs are always correct when ordering. They don't sell bootlegs as far as I know and they only have a few tiny details about pressings outside of UPCs. "Label" is just a huge catch-all on their site for who they are getting it in from. If The Orchard is the ones distributing it in the US, then they'd be listed there. There's also a section in details that says "Origin" and it always just says "Made in the USA or Imported" haha. And if there happens to be an issue, they either let you keep the album or send you a free return label...

You can look down on Target if ya want but their sales are pretty extraordinary here. They have the upcoming AAA/KG Lee Morgan box set up for preorder as well for $190 on sale even though the list price is almost $300 on it. I regularly get Tone Poets from them for $18 USD when they have a sale. The Dylan mono box was $100 this week. There really isn't a risk to ordering from them.

(other than having them cancel your order)
Hah fair. But still, not super risky. You get your money back worst case scenario. If it's something very limited and you really want it, probably wouldn't say order it through them (or have a backup). Otherwise, with the amount you save during the sales, it's always worth it for me at least. I end up buying things I probably wouldn't buy at full price but for 33% off I wouldn't mind having (like the Lou Reed New York box). I didn't want to pay the $90 list price but got it for $43 in Target sale.

Hah fair. But still, not super risky. You get your money back worst case scenario. If it's something very limited and you really want it, probably wouldn't say order it through them (or have a backup). Otherwise, with the amount you save during the sales, it's always worth it for me at least. I end up buying things I probably wouldn't buy at full price but for 33% off I wouldn't mind having (like the Lou Reed New York box). I didn't want to pay the $90 list price but got it for $43 in Target sale.
Even better is you don't get charged until it ships, and the prices start lower than most anywhere.

Back