Jazz

Nice - I'm a big fusion guy (duh) and those shows were so great. Ponty and Gambale!

Anyway, missing Corea already. Been playing his music non-stop since the news hit yesterday afternoon. I forgot how much I like the Circle band and the trio that put out the ARC record (and The Song of Singing). It all lead me to Braxton. All of that polydor stuff is saved for the area of the desert island that allows for guilty pleasures. Hah.

That five disc trio set from Japan from about 10 years ago is simply awesome. CD only so no fetishism, sorry,
I really been enjoying listening to the duo material with Bela Fleck this afternoon. Unique and very nice!

I edited my response and not sure if it made it in time but I'll say that I am cautiously optimistic. The series has been great (I've bought a few - I already have the Brown Mosaic so I passed). Thank you Ron Rambach for changing the whole landscape.
I think when you look at the AS video which says they will be focusing a lot on Impulse this year, and then the press release for these 60th pressings, too many details seem to line up. I think they just aren't trying to release the entire lineup now but hopefully we know more soon!

I love live Miles. I'm just listening to At Carnegie Hall if you want a more straight ahead live disc from his earlier years. You can find two discs from The Plugged Nickel pretty cheaply if you like the Second Great Quintet (and I adore them). I've also played the Europe 1969 set today and love that too - it's wild and brutal at times but utterly wonderful. Into the 70s it's worth streaming a few to get a feel of what you like - Live Evil and Agharta probably are my favourites but there's a dozen others and they've all got their charms. I've for Dark Magus, In Concert (looks like On the Corner cover art), At Fillmore, Bitches Brew Live, and a great bootleg from Japan 73. The Cellar Door and Fillmore CD boxsets are also worth checking out (and the Live at Newport boxset has gigs from quite a few different periods so you can hear in one set how he changed over time). For me it's almost impossible to have too much live Miles...
The second quintet stuff with Shorter/Hancock/Carter/Williams is basically the pinnacle of jazz at that time IMO, and quite possibly the best group ever.

edit: I misread that and didn't see "live" but I'm leaving this hot take here for posterity.
I’ve got just about all of them on CD or vinyl, Agharta ands Pangaea are great, all the 70’s ones are worth a listen , some sound a lot better than others. Plugged Nickel is essential, I’ve got the box set, earlier , Four and More and My Funny Valentine are superb, second Quintet with George Coleman instead of Shorter. Also We Want Miles isn’t bad for 80’s Miles. And the bootleg series are all great, cd’s are fine for them, a couple come with DVD’s that the Vinyl doesn’t have and the sound quality isn’t really much of an improvement, that Europe 69 set is great, but it’s full on so maybe have a listen online to see if it’s your thing, If you like Agharta you should be OK with it but it’s even more full on than that and Jack plays a lot busier than Al, who basically just plays a backbeat the whole record.Lots to explore though and so much variety , you’ll never be bored!
Good lord is this a loaded question. Rabbit hole time. I suppose it depends on what era you are looking for. This definitely brings back memories of being on the Miles list about 20 years ago and all of the CDr trading we used to do. I have so much of this stuff sitting around. Love it all.

Plugged Nickel is arguably the best but it was a Mosaic set and it was expensive at the time (I went for the CDs) and it is outrageously expensive on the secondary market (like all of the Columbia mosaics).

Personally, as I've gotten older, I only have patience for getting my ass off the couch to flip Music Matters or AP 45s since I find the experience from an audiophile standpoint to be worth it (plus those records mean so much to me). As for live music and a long time collector of live shows, I prefer to hear them in one sitting. Some suggestions if you are not adverse to CDs:
-As mentioned, the Cellar Door is ridiculously great (I see that you have Live Evil coming, which has edited performances of some of the stuff, but not the best stuff imho)
-The 1964 Benefit shows that begat Four and More and My Funny Valentine. You can find grey market pressings, I believe, or originals too.
-The Blackhawk material with Mobley is quite nice and underrated. Another rare Mosaic.
-Miles In Tokyo. I was never sure this really worked all that well but damn if I don't love Sam rivers so it's a sentimental favorite. I think Get Down did a reissue.
-70s stuff before retirement. Duh. Most is Four Men with Beards that I don't think is that bad.
-We Want Miles. Probabaly a contrversial pick but damn do I love Mike Stern. Easy to find on LP.
-Don't forget the second volume of the Bootleg series with the Lost Quintet. There is your topical Corea content. Man, I remember dying over those boots and Corea in particular (though not as nuts as the Isle of Wight stuff)
Wow there's an absolute ton of information there, which I'll take the time to digest. Thanks to you all for the pointers.

And then there's the age old question... what would @Selaws do? 😁

Wow there's an absolute ton of information there, which I'll take the time to digest. Thanks to you all for the pointers.

And then there's the age old question... what would @Selaws do? 😁
Almost certainly panic, order way more than I should, spend the next few days working out a plan to get them into the apartment without my girlfriend seeing, then likely fail miserably. Hell of a ride though.

Almost certainly panic, order way more than I should, spend the next few days working out a plan to get them into the apartment without my girlfriend seeing, then likely fail miserably. Hell of a ride though.
Wait until you are married, brother. Make sure that you have a specific discussion about this topic prior to the nuptials or marry a music freak like I did. Hah.

On the Impulse! titles, I sure hope so @MikeH.

On the Miles, drop me a line @VinylGuy over IM if you want any more thoughts. I was a complete windbag above. Sorry about that. I got overly excited about Miles. As usual.

Reading it is confirmed unfortunately. He was known to be struggling with his heart in recent years.

Was just reading this fascinating article last week coincidentally.

"A Jazz Drummer’s Fight to Keep His Own Heart Beating - The New York Times" A Jazz Drummer’s Fight to Keep His Own Heart Beating

Oh man just tragic. Crazily I have none of his albums on vinyl but @Mr Moore turned me to his work with Don Pullen and it was so fantastically out there I ended up streaming quite a few of his albums.

Devastating loss. If you have not watched Full Mantis I cannot recommend it highly enough. Graves was a genius and a multi-faceted creative mastermind. Corbett and Dempsey have reissued Babi and his Yale recordings on CD in very nice packages. Babi is one of the most powerful free jazz recordings ever made.

Wasn't somebody looking for this recently?

Preorder and part of the Target Buy one Get one sale, so it works out to about $100 shipped if you buy + cancel trick it.

Wasn't somebody looking for this recently?

Preorder and part of the Target Buy one Get one sale, so it works out to about $100 shipped if you buy + cancel trick it.
I brought the series up on the Audiophile thread and someone mentioned the box. The music itself is top notch (my favourite of Petersons whole discography) so I imagine this set if fantastic.

Back