Jazz

I'm probably behind the times here, but just noticed an upcoming re-issue of the Charlie Parker Mercury & Clef 10"s

In this review, it says, 'All the records are being reissued for the first time, with the exception of Bird and Diz.' surely that can't be right. Are these different to the previous clef re-issues?

I'll definitely not pick it up yet anyway, I still don't have any Charlie Parker & will probably go for some second hand re-issues first, unless I see another deal on the Savoy box, or maybe on this one.
This looks like a nice set, although it's £103 to preorder on Amazon UK. For reference, the Savoy 10" set is now around £60, working out at £15 a disk, so theres room for a bit of a price drop over time.

I don't have any Charlie Parker on vinyl either but this looks like a nice introduction if the price comes down a little.

Yeah that's very true. I bought 3 box sets off an ebay seller at the same time (the Charlie Parker, Art Blakey & Les Jazz-Messengers - Au Club Saint-Germain Vol. 1 to 3, and an 8lp Django Reinhardt) and luckily they were all in great shape. It can easily go the other way though. I guess with Discogs the rating system is a bit more clear cut and you could dispute if a set turned up that was not as described. Or even better, buying them in person at an actual shop......remember when that was a thing :ROFLMAO:
I've got that Art Blakey -- what a cooking set! So much fun.

This looks like a nice set, although it's £103 to preorder on Amazon UK. For reference, the Savoy 10" set is now around £60, working out at £15 a disk, so theres room for a bit of a price drop over time.

I don't have any Charlie Parker on vinyl either but this looks like a nice introduction if the price comes down a little.
The Parker/Savoy 10" box is now $56 on Amazon US. Amazon product ASIN B07Z74RPVQ

I am tempted by this box but can't find any information about the pressing. Does anyone have this set and can comment? Records are pressed on blue, white and red vinyls and the box seems to be limited to 500 hand numbered copies..

I am tempted by this box but can't find any information about the pressing. Does anyone have this set and can comment? Records are pressed on blue, white and red vinyls and the box seems to be limited to 500 hand numbered copies..

I don't have it, but I'm not convinced by the label. Seems to be a sub label of Ermitage. On their Discogs page in the summary it says, 'Also releases soul reissues of dubious legality'

I'm away from home so I can't easily check mine. It is a hand numbered copy, I think out of 500, but on black vinyl. Tri-fold configuration, no liner notes, originally in paper sleeves. It might be Ermitage (?) but I can't swear to it.

On the set: The sound quality is good -- for a period live recording in a club -- that hasn't received a fancy remaster. The records are ~180g and on a very clean quiet pressing and flat as you'd hope (better than the darn Billie Holiday from the club). My only real gripe is the tri-fold setup, but I can't really fault them for it. (but boy oh boy do I hate that configuration)

final caveat: I bought mine from Deep Discount (I think) 12-24 month ago and I think paid <$11. I'm pretty sure the provenance is questionable.

It is a very fun set to listen to though and this thread is making me mull over picking up the 1969 :)

As you all may recall, Henry Grimes was one of the first jazz musicians to pass away from COVID last spring. A fitting tribute to him that ESP is reissuing this in March (for around $25 since OG versions are around $100):

This took me to ESP's site, and they have some remarkable recordings if you want to go down the early/free jazz rabbit hole
Edit: Also a storefront with MediaMail (to Boston) for $2.80! (list on the LP, $24.95) -- the second link is 17 albums for $260

Last edited:
New Jazz in Britain release, and what a release!!! @Selaws you are probably pre-ordering this as i write it :p

Beat me to it. I have just ordered it now and was going to listen to the download after I popped on here.

Out of interest, how does ordering it work for a non-subscriber? I believe its a 48-hour window of exclusivity, but as I can only see the listing as a subscriber I'm not sure.

I imagine this one will go quick, Rendall/Carr's music tends to be really sought after (hint......I might have just received one of their big releases in the post as well).

Beat me to it. I have just ordered it now and was going to listen to the download after I popped on here.

Out of interest, how does ordering it work for a non-subscriber? I believe its a 48-hour window of exclusivity, but as I can only see the listing as a subscriber I'm not sure.

I imagine this one will go quick, Rendall/Carr's music tends to be really sought after (hint......I might have just received one of their big releases in the post as well).

Well, surprisingly, I can pre-order the record as well. And so I did.

Just ordered my copy as soon as I noticed the e-mail. Single digits left of the Subversion through jazz book (Slight panic as I thought that was the stock level of Don Rendell & Ian Carr).

This is the one I've been waiting for, I'm sure it will sell out quick.

What did the postman bring?

Thanks for the heads up on this @Skalap @Selaws. Both preview tracks sound great! The quintet are absolutely shredding on the first one 🤩🔥. I was sold a few seconds in.
They really do! The Don Rendell Ian Carr Quintet releases tend to be sought after, I guess their recordings for the Columbia Lansdowne Series shot them to the big time.

I just had a look and there are only 9 copies left. I knew it would go fast but I didnt expect it to go this fast!

Edit: I made the same blunder as @Andy and read the number available for the book.

Last edited:
Back