1. Alabaster DePlume - To Cy & Lee: Instrumentals, Vol 1
2. Nubya Garcia - Source
3. Brigid Dawson and The Mothers Network - Ballet of Apes
4. Jeff Parker - Suite For Max Brown
5. Asher Gamedze - Dialectic Soul
6. Martin Rude & Jakob Scott Duo - The Discipline of Ascent
7. Lemon Quartet - Crestless
8. Jermey Cunningham - The Weather Up There
9. Irreversible Entanglements - Who Sent You?
10. Angel Bat Dawid - LIVE
11. Shabaka and the Ancestors - We Are Sent Here By History
12. Mary Halvorson’s Code Girl - Artlessly Falling
13. Muriel Grossman - Quiet Earth
14. Idris Ackamoor - Shaman!
15. Sun Ra Arkestra - Swirling
16. Waaju - Grown
17. Moses Boyd - Dark Matter
18. Badge Epoque Ensemble - Self Help
19. Ambrose Akinmusire - on the tender spot...
20. Sauce and Dogs - Sauce and Dogs
21. Susan Alcorn Quintet - Pedernal
22. Webber/Morris Big Band - Both Are True
23. Dinosaur - To The Earth
24. Rob Mazurek - Dimensional Stardust
25. Benny Yurco - You Are My Dreams

Last edited:
Happy new year all - great lists @dropsonde @jdr2187

Here are my favourite releases from 2020

1) Gil Scott Heron /Makaya McCraven - We're New Again
2) Raffy Bushman - Look Up EP
3) Tefo Mahola - First Offering (little known but incredible album check it out!!!)
4) Golden Mean - Through Walls
5) Tom Misch / Yussef Dayes - What Kinda Music
6) Ebi Soda - Ugh
7) Alabaster DePlume - To Cy & Lee : Instrumentals, Vol 1
8) Oscar Jerome - Breathe Deep
9) Muriel Grossman - Quiet Earth ( latest addition but really loving this!)
10) Yussef Dayes Trio - Welcome to the Hills
11) Nick Walters - Active Imagination
12) Kamaal Williams - Wu Hen
13) Matthew Halsall - Salute to the Sun
14) Nat Birchall - Mysticism of Sound
15) Pyjaen - Sage Secrets

My favourite jazz of 2020

1. Quin Kirchner - The Shadows and The Light
2. Muriel Grossmann - Quiet Earth
3. Tony Allen and Hugh Masekela - Rejoice
4. Nubya Garcia - Source
5. Dezron Douglas and Brandee Younger - Force Majeure
6. Muriel Grossmann - Elevation
7. EABS - The Discipline of Sun Ra
8. Nat Birchall - Mysticism of Sound
9. Keleketla - Keleketla
10. Wojtek Mazolewski Quintet - When Angels Fall

11. Shabaka and the Ancestors - We Are Brought Here By History
12. Joel Ross - Who Are You?
13. Makaya McCraven - Universal Beings E&F Sides
14. Seven Wonders: New Movements in Australian Jazz and Soul
15. Mammal Hands - Captured Spirits
16. Ebi Soda - Ugh
17. Alfa Mist - On My Ones
18. Moses Boyd - Dark Matter
19. Bloto - Erozje
20. Hedvig Mollestad - Ekhidna

Best reissues
Esjborn Svensson Trio x 3
Miles Davis - Double Image
Harry Beckett - Joy Unlimited
Sharhabil Ahmed - The King of Sudanese Jazz
Thelonious Monk - Palo Alto
Art Blakey - Buhaina's Delight
Chet Baker Sings

My favourite jazz of 2020

1. Quin Kirchner - The Shadows and The Light
2. Muriel Grossmann - Quiet Earth
3. Tony Allen and Hugh Masekela - Rejoice
4. Nubya Garcia - Source
5. Dezron Douglas and Brandee Younger - Force Majeure
6. Muriel Grossmann - Elevation
7. EABS - The Discipline of Sun Ra
8. Nat Birchall - Mysticism of Sound
9. Keleketla - Keleketla
10. Wojtek Mazolewski Quintet - When Angels Fall

11. Shabaka and the Ancestors - We Are Brought Here By History
12. Joel Ross - Who Are You?
13. Makaya McCraven - Universal Beings E&F Sides
14. Seven Wonders: New Movements in Australian Jazz and Soul
15. Mammal Hands - Captured Spirits
16. Ebi Soda - Ugh
17. Alfa Mist - On My Ones
18. Moses Boyd - Dark Matter
19. Bloto - Erozje
20. Hedvig Mollestad - Ekhidna

Best reissues
Esjborn Svensson Trio x 3
Miles Davis - Double Image
Harry Beckett - Joy Unlimited
Sharhabil Ahmed - The King of Sudanese Jazz
Thelonious Monk - Palo Alto
Art Blakey - Buhaina's Delight
Chet Baker Sings
Ah yes, that Quin Kirchner album is really great — that should have made my list as well!

Maybe I was being too strict but I didn’t consider Keleketla! or Shabaka as jazz. Loved both as well.

@NoFunAtAll, @jdr2187, @Poly-Rythmo Thanks for sharing your lists!

A new 'never released' album from Horace Tapscott looks to have just been released. Quite an extensive package with 3lp's, thick gatefold jacket and archival photographs. Quite pricey as well at £80 plus postage. Looks to be a lot of music though, 2 hours of live recordings. @Mr Moore I seem to remember you being a fan of Tapscott?

Horace Tapscott & The Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra – Live At Century City Playhouse 9/9/79 | Sounds of the Universe

It is available from Nimbus web shop and it's cheaper even with shipping costs ($42). I would definitely buy this set from Nimbus (and probably other records to save on shipping) but $42 is too much :(

A new 'never released' album from Horace Tapscott looks to have just been released. Quite an extensive package with 3lp's, thick gatefold jacket and archival photographs. Quite pricey as well at £80 plus postage. Looks to be a lot of music though, 2 hours of live recordings. @Mr Moore I seem to remember you being a fan of Tapscott?

Horace Tapscott & The Pan Afrikan Peoples Arkestra – Live At Century City Playhouse 9/9/79 | Sounds of the Universe
This one's 50 squid at Mr Bongo if you're interested. I'm likely gonna pass, I'm so tight on space now I'm having to be ultra selective and with half a dozen Tapscott's in my collection, this one might have to wait.

Where can I hear that Joshua Abrams album?
I'm interested too. Juno has decent samples on and it sounds great but would love to stream the whole thing.

Where can I hear that Joshua Abrams album?
Not sure if these are the same clips at Juno that @Mr Moore shared but here’s the label’s SoundCloud page:

The vinyl is tough to track down right now. I had it on order in late December but it was cancelled. Not clear if it was sold out or if the release is just trickling out. I don’t see any mention of it being limited. The CD is coming out later this month so maybe availability will improve.

What do you file Shabaka and The Ancestors under?
To me it feels more Afrobeat than jazz. I understand the time signature changes in We Are Sent Here By History are more complex than traditional Afrobeat, and my approach is probably biased through an American lens. Not here to convince anyone that it's not jazz -- it's obviously there (and it's on Impulse!). It's a feel-thing for me. It's a good album no matter how you file it.

To me it feels more Afrobeat than jazz. I understand the time signature changes in We Are Sent Here By History are more complex than traditional Afrobeat, and my approach is probably biased through an American lens. Not here to convince anyone that it's not jazz -- it's obviously there (and it's on Impulse!). It's a feel-thing for me. It's a good album no matter how you file it.
Not trying to argue, just genuinely curious. To me it feels kind of like they took some of what Pharaoh Sanders, on the Spiritual Jazz side, was doing and really leaned hard into African drums and rhythms (among other things, obviously). Definitely a good album.

I have just about finished reading Max Gordon's autobiography 'Live At The Village Vanguard' and there was a very interesting part which relates to Charles Mingus' autobiography 'Beneath The Underdog'.

I read the Mingus book a few years ago and have to say that I wasn't a big fan of it. There were very little musical elements to it and it almost read as an autobiography of a pimp over a musician. In the Gordon book, he recalls chatting to Dannie Richmond, the drummer who was in Mingus' group for 20 years before the bassist died. Gordon asks if Richmond had read Mingus' book yet and the drummer states that 'Beneath The Underdog' was not written by Mingus. Supposedly Mingus did write a short transcript which was full of anger and that didn't hold back, but a woman (Richmond does not state who) took over and actually wrote it.

Interesting as the book is always titled as an 'autobiography' and this is the first time I have seen otherwise.

Back