Jazz

I watched Soul earlier and have to say its superb. They really have a fantastic focus on jazz with some really subtle elements thrown in as well. Jon Batiste provided the music for half of the film and Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor provided the other, less jazz-focused half. Well worth watching the film.

Yea it was real good, haven’t gotten all the way through. But the Jazz elements are the beginning really revealed what jazz is. Sometimes I forget people don’t understand how it’s all made.

Some interesting call outs
Best Jazz Albums of 2020 Best Jazz Albums of 2020
That Immanuel Wilkins album is really good. He recently said a vinyl pressing was on the works.

Also, if anyone is yet to give Kinded Spirits a listen, you're missing out. The vinyl is a bit pricey, but the music, pressing and packaging are all top notch. Well worth it IMO.

That Immanuel Wilkins album is really good. He recently said a vinyl pressing was on the works.

Also, if anyone is yet to give Kinded Spirits a listen, you're missing out. The vinyl is a bit pricey, but the music, pressing and packaging are all top notch. Well worth it IMO.
I bought Kindred Spirits back in the spring -- for some moderate sale price. At the time, I loved the music (still highly recommended) but found the book less effective. Over time, the book -- while still more a personal photo album, and still something that feels likes a missed opportunity for a great review and essay on his work and contribution -- has grown on me. In every case, I've never regretted the purchase and love the 3 records.

I think it's also my favourite Sam Records release so far. Perfect for a relaxed Sunday morning.

I'm actually eyeing the Nathan Davis atm. The few tracks I've sampled sound great and his live album Sam put out a few years ago was incredible.
The Nathan Davis was one which I bought not expecting it to be a stand-out (as I bought it with a bundle of other Sam record releases) and and was unexpectedly blown away by it. Its seriously good and when it finished I played it from the start again.

Just got to listening to the new Binker & Moses album 'escape the flames'. it really does sound great. I definitely need to to dig deeper into their catalogue.
I think Binker Golding is one of the most underrated UK jazz musicians. He has had a lot of success and awards, but still somehow flies under the radar (in the majority of articles and 'lists' that I have read anyway). I saw him live a while ago and he was just stunning, easily one of the top artists I have seen when it comes to control of his instrument. I have seen other great musicians that pretty much performed their compositions in the same way that they do on their studio albums, but Binker played completely different each time and even threw in references to other songs that were mentioned during the introduction etc. Really great stuff.

I think Binker Golding is one of the most underrated UK jazz musicians. He has had a lot of success and awards, but still somehow flies under the radar (in the majority of articles and 'lists' that I have read anyway). I saw him live a while ago and he was just stunning, easily one of the top artists I have seen when it comes to control of his instrument. I have seen other great musicians that pretty much performed their compositions in the same way that they do on their studio albums, but Binker played completely different each time and even threw in references to other songs that were mentioned during the introduction etc. Really great stuff.

I'm totally sold. Really great sounding vinyl as well (admittedly after a few glasses of wine), but it really draws you in.

The Nathan Davis was one which I bought not expecting it to be a stand-out (as I bought it with a bundle of other Sam record releases) and and was unexpectedly blown away by it. Its seriously good and when it finished I played it from the start again.
Well that pushed me over the edge. Saw on discogs that my favorite local shop has a copy, so sent them a message to hold it back for me. Hopefully I can go pick it up in the 19th when our lockdown ends.

Well that pushed me over the edge. Saw on discogs that my favorite local shop has a copy, so sent them a message to hold it back for me. Hopefully I can go pick it up in the 19th when our lockdown ends.
Hope you enjoy it. I have it lined up to play tonight. I'm just listening to Muriel Grossman's latest offering and its fantastic, she seems to add a new flavour to each realease!

Hope you enjoy it. I have it lined up to play tonight. I'm just listening to Muriel Grossman's latest offering and its fantastic, she seems to add a new flavour to each realease!

Completely forgot about the Muriel Grossman release, I was waiting for a cheap shipping option. That's another order I need to place.

All their stuff is good, but Alive In The East is a standout, (their last release) I listened to The Journey To Mountain Of Forever the other week .
Just got to listening to the new Binker & Moses album 'escape the flames'. it really does sound great. I definitely need to to dig deeper into their catalogue.

Last edited:
Holy smokes this is massive. Before this I think the Max Roach session was believed to be the only known recordings with the pianist. This is a sure fire pick up, just need to find a UK link now! Thanks for sharing!

Edit: Looks like a few UK places have it up for preorder - Juno & HMV links - although it doesn't look to be limited so I might wait until closer to the time.

Here's a little "trailer" for the release with a snippet of music.

Im sure @britprogjazz will post on here at some point, but Jazz In Britain have offered up a subscription service through their bandcamp. Perks include:

· An 'earlybird' 48 hour exclusive window to purchase physical pre-orders before official pre-release
· All of our new digital releases free for a year (from the date of subscription)
· Three back catalogue digital releases
· One exclusive 'subscriber-only' digital release per year
· Access to our Bandcamp fan community with 'subscriber-only' messages and photos

It seems really reasonable at £24 for the year (£2 per month). I don't usually have time to listen to digital recordings (I actually cancelled spotify earlier in the year because I just wasn't listening to it) but in this situation, I might sign up. The early bird for physical release is a nice touch as well.

Subscribe to Jazz In Britain

Edit: For £24 I subscribed, worth it just to help out a small label at the moment. Now to listen to their back catalogue!

Last edited:
If anyone is willing to share a list of favorite jazz releases from 2020, I would love to browse them.

Sticking to new releases -- reissued releases would be too overwhelming given the avalanche of awesome jazz pressed in 2020 -- here are my favorite 15:
  1. Krononaut - Krononaut
  2. Sam Gendel - Satin Doll
  3. Hedvig Mollestad ‎– Ekhidna
  4. Jeff Parker - Suite for Max Brown
  5. Matthew Halsall - Salute to the Sun
  6. Wolfgang Muthspiel, Scott Colley & Brian Blade - Angular Blues
  7. Avishai Cohen & Big Vicious - Big Vicious
  8. Ambrose Akinmusire - On The Tender Spot of Every Calloused Moment
  9. Phi-Psonics - The Cradle
  10. Ali Shaheed Muhammad & Adrian Younge / Azymuth ‎– Jazz Is Dead 4
  11. Charles Tolliver - Connect
  12. Chip Wickham - Blue To Red