Jazz

Something big available on Ill Considered Bandcamp later today :

Well after selling a ton of records over the past few days (including 2 pricey ones this morning with the buyers both leaving a message along the lines of "I would appreciate it if you could get it to me by Christmas"....) and having no self control, I ordered the set.

Will I enjoy it...yes.

Was it a crazy amount to pay....yes.

Will the art look good on my wall...hopefully.

Am I writing all this to justify the purchase to myself....also yes.

Merry Christmas Eve all.

I thought I would browse Oxfam's online store (a charity here in the UK) to see what jazz records they had in stock. I quickly left after seeing absolute piss takes like these below. Just for clarity, the charity gets given these items as free donations. They then decide to list them for an outrageous amount by the looks of it. Im all for giving to charity and heling them out by buying bits (which is why I checked), but not when they are clearly trying to rip people off.

Anyone fancy a 1977 reissue of Out To Lunch for £158.35 more than the Discogs average?

How about a first pressing of Black Fire, complete with writing on the label and back of the sleeve and with a nice Oxfam sticker on the front, for £101 more than the discogs average?

Screenshot 2020-12-24 at 21.48.50.png

Screenshot 2020-12-24 at 22.10.56.png

Merry Christmas Eve all.

I thought I would browse Oxfam's online store (a charity here in the UK) to see what jazz records they had in stock. I quickly left after seeing absolute piss takes like these below. Just for clarity, the charity gets given these items as free donations. They then decide to list them for an outrageous amount by the looks of it. Im all for giving to charity and heling them out by buying bits (which is why I checked), but not when they are clearly trying to rip people off.

Anyone fancy a 1977 reissue of Out To Lunch for £158.35 more than the Discogs average?

How about a first pressing of Black Fire, complete with writing on the label and back of the sleeve and with a nice Oxfam sticker on the front, for £101 more than the discogs average?

View attachment 81403

View attachment 81406
But...

It's Christmas!

Good luck to them, the robbing bastards, and merry Christmas to you all...!

🎅

Which Records did you pick? I would have thought you had most of them already :)

I picked two Chet Backer and Ron Jefferson Choir yesterday, John Lewis & Sacha Distel and Nathan Davis' Peace Treaty this morning. I am still missing 7 releases and the Artisan/Byrd that I'll probably never purchase at a "normal" price.

I picked two Chet Backer and Ron Jefferson Choir yesterday, John Lewis & Sacha Distel and Nathan Davis' Peace Treaty this morning. I am still missing 7 releases and the Artisan/Byrd that I'll probably never purchase at a "normal" price.
The John Lewis & Sacha Distel is one of my favourites. Merry Christmas!

The John Lewis & Sacha Distel is one of my favourites. Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas buddy. I was a bit skeptical about this release because of Sacha Distel. I see him as some kind of the French Julio Iglesias. Never knew that he was so influent and active in the French jazz scene back in the days.

Merry Christmas buddy. I was a bit skeptical about this release because of Sacha Distel. I see him as some kind of the French Julio Iglesias. Never knew that he was so influent and active in the French jazz scene back in the days.
I had the same thinking about Sasha Distel, but it’s a great record.

happy Christmas!

The few songs I listened were great so with the 20% discount on the Wax Buyers Club store it was a no brainer.
The few songs I listened were great so with the 20% discount on the Wax Buyers Club store it was a no brainer.

I’ve been looking for that as well with a somewhat normal price! Is that a good place to buy it?

I’ve been looking for that as well with a somewhat normal price! Is that a good place to buy it?

It is if you are a subscriber and have free shipping. If you are not I don't know if it is a great deal for you.

Acoustic Sounds is typically the best place to buy Sam Records if you’re in the US. Not sure where you are located though!

They are out of stock! Yes I'm in the US. Otherwise HHV has it in stock.
jpc.de: Musik und Filme auf CD, LP, DVD und Blu-ray online kaufen also is a good place to buy if they have it in stock. Great service, fair pricing, and shipping to the US won’t cost you more than in-country shipping.

Worth a shot: John Lewis & Sacha Distel: Afternoon In Paris (remastered) (180g) (Limited-Edition) (LP) – jpc

(It’s worth noting that the price for US purchase will be a bit lower than the listed price. You’ll see that difference only after you’ve put the item in your cart and filled in your shipping address.)

I watched Soul earlier and have to say its superb. They really have a fantastic focus on jazz with some really subtle elements thrown in as well. Jon Batiste provided the music for half of the film and Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor provided the other, less jazz-focused half. Well worth watching the film.

I watched Soul earlier and have to say its superb. They really have a fantastic focus on jazz with some really subtle elements thrown in as well. Jon Batiste provided the music for half of the film and Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor provided the other, less jazz-focused half. Well worth watching the film.
You can tell a jazz lover was heavily involved. The way they tied jazz into a feeling for life was really beautiful, those moments where he would drift into the flow and go full Herbie Hancock were really quite moving to me. They really just captured the energy and expression of the art form so well. I’m hoping this movie can kickstart a little jazz awakening with people my age!

You can tell a jazz lover was heavily involved. The way they tied jazz into a feeling for life was really beautiful, those moments where he would drift into the flow and go full Herbie Hancock were really quite moving to me. They really just captured the energy and expression of the art form so well. I’m hoping this movie can kickstart a little jazz awakening with people my age!
Jon Batiste was the jazz consultant on it. The extras show a great part with him where he shows the different movements he uses when playing so the animators can replicate it.

I just ordered the jazz soundtrack (over the atticus ross/trent reznor one).

Back