Jazz

There were only something like 10 left when I posted. Not TOO bummed since a bunch seem to have been flexidiscs and I don't spin 7" too much.
Yeah I wasn't going to pick it up either (hate to imagine what shipping would have been) but was intrigued to see the price.

International Anthem has a new record out from Dezron Douglas and Brandee Younger and I'm really digging it this morning.

Same here - I think this has a good chance of breaking into my top 10 for this year, I love it!
Thanks for the nudge on this. Been listening while working this afternoon and it’s great!

Muriel Grossmann's new album was shared here the other day on Bandcamp and RRGEMS have just released it on their website. Its considerably cheaper (34 Euro inc shipping compared to bandcamps 50 euro).

Muriel Grossmann's new album was shared here the other day on Bandcamp and RRGEMS have just released it on their website. Its considerably cheaper (34 Euro inc shipping compared to bandcamps 50 euro).

Thanks! Ordered Quiet Earth and Brahja's reissue.

Haven't seen any mention here of this Verve Acoustic Sound Series reissue:

Anyone familiar with it? Quite a lineup with Bill Evans, John Coltrane, and Art Farmer to name a few.

Anyone familiar with it? Quite a lineup with Bill Evans, John Coltrane, and Art Farmer to name a few.
I guess I should give it another listen, but I think I’ll sit on the next 2 AS

Very good album as are all George Russell albums in the late 50’s- early 60’s.

@Selaws have you seen Honest Jon's have the Tubby boxset half price this weekend at £90.
Thought you might be interested.
Tubby Hayes - The Complete Fontana Albums 1961-69 : Honest Jon's Records

Damn I would've gotten that!! I've been looking for this box for a decent price for a while now.

If anyone spots it again, tag me!!!

No hate here, like I said I actually bought the album. My point is that it's getting to the point where records are no longer becoming an affordable/justifiable option to listen to music, as the latest £50 record from Yussef Dayes shows. Like most here I buy a lot of records but if they were £50 a time my spending would drastically drop and overall musicians would get a lot less of my money (ie some records might warrant £50 from me, but not a lot).

With the £7 signature example, I felt like I was getting much less of a deal (and in fact spent the rest of the day feeling guilty that I paid it) when compared to those which thrown in a signature for free, which very much feels like a cherry on top and certainly makes me feel more open to buying music from that artist in the future.

The music industry has never been constantly safe or lucrative for the majority of musicians, but I would argue that its the fault of the labels if musicians feel like they need to add extra bits on top at high prices to earn comfortable money.

I just want to clarify what I meant by my needlessly snarky post before. I actually agree with you that records are generally getting more expensive, especially the "audiophile" records-- it seems as though labels are getting better and better at wringing out every last dime from their customers, while providing not a whole not more in terms of value. But to me, that's a label and retailer issue, not an artist issue. So when I see Garcia selling her records for an extra $7 (pounds, whatever), there's a part of me that's like-- go ahead, get your money. Artists are the last to profit off their art, and I don't fault them for doing whatever they can to make a few extra dollars. Now, if that money goes right into the pockets of the label, then fuck them and fuck that, but I'd gladly spend extra cash buying direct from an artist, especially if it's signed. And yes, it's absolutely the fault of the labels and the industry in general, so I think we agree on that, it's just personally I don't hold it against an artist when they charge more for a signature-- and those that don't, great, that's awesome!

I write books for a living so I'm very conscious of how people treat art as cheap commodities or how they view artistic labor as somehow not worth actual money (not accusing you of that at all, btw, just speaking in general now). Authors are squeezed from both ends in the publishing industry; musicians are squeezed from both ends in the music industry; and I imagine that goes for pretty much all creative endeavors. It's not easy, hustling for a living making art, or writing books, or playing jazz. The people that tend to benefit financially more often than not are the label owners and the retailers (although let's be real, I can't imagine any of these jazz labels are turning enormous profits or something).

Damn I would've gotten that!! I've been looking for this box for a decent price for a while now.

I just want to clarify what I meant by my needlessly snarky post before. I actually agree with you that records are generally getting more expensive, especially the "audiophile" records-- it seems as though labels are getting better and better at wringing out every last dime from their customers, while providing not a whole not more in terms of value. But to me, that's a label and retailer issue, not an artist issue. So when I see Garcia selling her records for an extra $7 (pounds, whatever), there's a part of me that's like-- go ahead, get your money. Artists are the last to profit off their art, and I don't fault them for doing whatever they can to make a few extra dollars. Now, if that money goes right into the pockets of the label, then fuck them and fuck that, but I'd gladly spend extra cash buying direct from an artist, especially if it's signed. And yes, it's absolutely the fault of the labels and the industry in general, so I think we agree on that, it's just personally I don't hold it against an artist when they charge more for a signature-- and those that don't, great, that's awesome!

I write books for a living so I'm very conscious of how people treat art as cheap commodities or how they view artistic labor as somehow not worth actual money (not accusing you of that at all, btw, just speaking in general now). Authors are squeezed from both ends in the publishing industry; musicians are squeezed from both ends in the music industry; and I imagine that goes for pretty much all creative endeavors. It's not easy, hustling for a living making art, or writing books, or playing jazz. The people that tend to benefit financially more often than not are the label owners and the retailers (although let's be real, I can't imagine any of these jazz labels are turning enormous profits or something).

What I've seen most of the times is major labels charging more than what artists directly or small/indie label charges. IMO, indie artists/labels are 99% of the time people who want o share their music or the artist they love and believe in. Of course they need money too but I see them charging a more appropriate price than some other major labels.

A recent example is Muriel Grossmann's new album limited release release which is for sale at 24€. I don't know how much money the label or the artist will make but they could definitely charge more. Counter example is Shabaka's VMP variant at $39. Everybody knows the median retail price for this record so we can imagine how much money VMP is trying to make with this release.

I am with you on trying to purchase directly from the labels or, when shipping is too high, from indie record shops. I just hope indie labels won't follow this trend.

No worries buddy, I didn't see it as being snarky, I like a good chat about topics like this.

I understand what you mean now and completely agree with you that the margins seem to be in favour of the label over the musician.

I saw an interesting Instagram post the other day and have just managed to re-find it, as it highlights some interesting (and scary) points which link to what we have been chatting about. I have included the user's handle at the top in case anyone wants to find the post, theres a lot more 'slides' which go into more detail.

IMG_5738.jpg

IMG_5739.jpg

No worries buddy, I didn't see it as being snarky, I like a good chat about topics like this.

I understand what you mean now and completely agree with you that the margins seem to be in favour of the label over the musician.

I saw an interesting Instagram post the other day and have just managed to re-find it, as it highlights some interesting (and scary) points which link to what we have been chatting about. I have included the user's handle at the top in case anyone wants to find the post, theres a lot more 'slides' which go into more detail.

View attachment 78885

View attachment 78886

Oh man that's really telling. I mean, it's so clearly obvious that Spotify is generally very bad for artists, and equally bad for labels-- unless you're an enormous artist getting millions of hours of streams, and even then I've read some horror stories about incredibly low payments.

I'm a part of a program called Kindle Unlimited via Amazon. I self publish all my books-- which, by the way, is the only real way you can make a living doing nothing but writing these days unless you're a mega famous author-- and they're almost all in the KU program. KU pays like this: every "page" a reader flips through, you get a certain amount of money, generally about .0045 of 1 cent. Over an entire 50k book that tends to be about $1.50, more or less.

To put it into perspective, I write very fast-- about 5,000 words per day. I can write a 50k long novel in 10 days-- and again, that's really fast. But for that much labor, and I do this full time by the way, for that labor I'll get paid about $1.50 per read, assuming people read it all the way through to the end, assuming Amazon can actually calculate pages read accurately, etc etc.

$1.50 for a book isn't great. But because Amazon owns the ebook marketplace, and being in Kindle Unlimited has certain advantages that I won't get into, it's still a good deal. There's no real alternative.

I can imagine musicians are making the same calculation. Spotify, Tidal, etc, they're the game right now. Streaming is the future, and as Spotify continues to grow its massive catalogue, it'll keep squeezing money from the creators. It's always been like that and it'll always be like that: these companies value the listeners/customers, and push the boundaries of what they can get away with in terms of creator royalties. Unfortunately, they're the only game in town, at least until alternatives comes up. Which is why I like Bandcamp and buying physical records when possible, I know that money goes to the people that deserve it.

Anyways, the internet has done a lot for creators, made it so much easier to be a professional author/musician/whatever, but there are so many trade offs, and I worry about what the future will be like as these huge streaming services continue to gain market share and control.

Back