Jazz

The three were released in the last years, all three officially (IIRC) but I couldn't found a lot of information about the sources. I ended waiting for these potential Pure Pleasure releases and I am glad I did.

Ah yeah, I honestly don't remember much about the one I have-- I'll dig it out and see if it's any good. I'll get the others when they release though.

Isn't there another major audiophile pressing of this coming out soon?

I guess it's Kind of Blue, so the answer is always yes
The UHQR is rumored which will be available in 33rpm and 45 for $125. Not sure if 33 will be $125 and 45 will be more or if 33 will be cheaper. i just remember the 125 price tag.

Seems like they're gonna repress this until the end of time lol. I've gone through two copies that had occasional surface noise even though the discs looked pristine. Maybe Ill try a third time...
It hasn't been repressed in awhile it seems. But anything on the Music Direct site that is MoFi and says Out of Stock or Awaiting Repress WILL be back in stock at some point. A lot of flippers are selling MoFi albums for high prices and saying OOP but a lot simply are not OOP.

International Anthem has a new record out from Dezron Douglas and Brandee Younger and I'm really digging it this morning.

This is an interesting album. The little bit of banter at the beginning and the person telling another to get into frame makes me think it would be interesting to have sets where it would just be musicians hanging out and playing them talking for a while. Then when the felt like it get back to playing. There is so much oral history in jazz that we never hear about.

This is an interesting album. The little bit of banter at the beginning and the person telling another to get into frame makes me think it would be interesting to have sets where it would just be musicians hanging out and playing them talking for a while. Then when the felt like it get back to playing. There is so much oral history in jazz that we never hear about.
Funny you should mention this, I was chatting to my girlfriend about a couple of days ago. The cassettes I picked up a couple of months ago are live gigs recorded at the very beginning, through to the end of the set. In between tracks, there's a lot of chatting between the musicians and to the audiences and it really does add a fantastic element to them.

In fact, I have a recording I made at a Joel Ross gig last year (nothing fancy, just on my phone) and there's a bit where each musician takes it in turn ramping up the speed before the drummer (Jeremy Dutton) pauses for a second, lets outs a laugh, then continues on. What isnt captured on the recording is that they were egging each one on by nodding and smiling. It was a really fun moment which just wouldnt be captured on tape.

Man that first disc of the Sonny Rollins Resonance title is awesome! So damn good. I haven’t listened to the live discs yet.
Ok, so this is where the issue is for some people. You will experience a big drop in audio quality as you jump into the live recordings. Personally, I didn't mind and enjoy the fact that ANY recording of this period exists at all. But I do think the high quality of the first LP set the others up for disappointment amongst those that were expecting audiophile throughout.

Latest batch of black Jazz reissues are up! Real Gone exclusives are available for all 3:

@Mr Moore huge thanks again for tagging me in the Honest Jons Tubby Hayes offer. I can't quite believe it was £90, such a fantastic deal when you consider its 11lp's mastered at Gearbox (I believe they are all AAA). I haven't opened it up yet but the quality certainly looks good, with a solid box (with fabric around the edges) that appears to have a slide-out holder in the middle. I had actually just sold a single LP for just over £100 the day before as well, so the timing is perfect, its like the swap of the century :ROFLMAO:

I mentioned the other day that I have a few of these already (OG pressings) but even still its worth it for the ones I don't have and the additional booklet (which I am far too excited to read!). Cheers again!

IMG_5905.jpg

The first record of the Tipitina's Record Club is Professor Longhair- Fess at home. It's a 1973 performance he did in his home for some friends and hasn't ever been released. I'm so excited for this release.
Went to International Anthem's bandcamp to pick up a few releases I don't have and their shipping has gone crazy! $14 for one record, $27 for a 2LP!
Yuuuuppp. I have had to curb my spending for records from the UK and EU. EU is not usually as bad as the UK for shipping lately, but $50 for a single disc from across the pond is beginning to be the norm.

Ok, so this is where the issue is for some people. You will experience a big drop in audio quality as you jump into the live recordings. Personally, I didn't mind and enjoy the fact that ANY recording of this period exists at all. But I do think the high quality of the first LP set the others up for disappointment amongst those that were expecting audiophile throughout.

I listened through all 3 lps yesterday and you know, the middle disc doesn't sound great-- but the third disc is actually pretty good IMO, for a live recording at least. But yeah, that first disc is really fantastic, and I don't even typically love the sax trio setting. Overall I'd say it was a good purchase.

The Bill Evans, however, is fine. But I sort of feel like if you've gotten any of the other Evans live albums, you've pretty much heard this one. DeJohnette is interesting on drums, but he doesn't get a TON of room, so it's basically just an Evans set. I don't know, I've heard a lot of Evans over the last few months, and I'm not really in love with his trio playing. It's just kid of fine?

I was disappointed in the Coleman album: music was just sort of eh. Not super inspired. I'll give it another listen.

And finally, Monty Alexander: this record slapped! I was surprised honestly, I think it was the best of the three. Highly recommended if it's still available and anyone's on the fence.

I listened through all 3 lps yesterday and you know, the middle disc doesn't sound great-- but the third disc is actually pretty good IMO, for a live recording at least. But yeah, that first disc is really fantastic, and I don't even typically love the sax trio setting. Overall I'd say it was a good purchase.

The Bill Evans, however, is fine. But I sort of feel like if you've gotten any of the other Evans live albums, you've pretty much heard this one. DeJohnette is interesting on drums, but he doesn't get a TON of room, so it's basically just an Evans set. I don't know, I've heard a lot of Evans over the last few months, and I'm not really in love with his trio playing. It's just kid of fine?

I was disappointed in the Coleman album: music was just sort of eh. Not super inspired. I'll give it another listen.

And finally, Monty Alexander: this record slapped! I was surprised honestly, I think it was the best of the three. Highly recommended if it's still available and anyone's on the fence.
Cheers for this, my copy of the Bill Evans arrived today and I now have all the RSD items I ordered (which are the 4 you mentioned plus the Barney Wilen Quartet with Tete Montoliu). Going to give them a good clean tonight then crack on listening. I was really impressed with the Sonny Rollins, I just need to find the time to dig into the booklet, looks to be a lot of interesting info in there.

The first record of the Tipitina's Record Club is Professor Longhair- Fess at home. It's a 1973 performance he did in his home for some friends and hasn't ever been released. I'm so excited for this release.

Yuuuuppp. I have had to curb my spending for records from the UK and EU. EU is not usually as bad as the UK for shipping lately, but $50 for a single disc from across the pond is beginning to be the norm.

I'm glad that they added that the records would be shipping from Europe, because I was totally confused at the shipping price!

Yeah I can see that. It’s good stuff throughout those live performances too. I’m with you that it’s awesome there’s a live document of the band no matter what the sound quality. Wish there was a full album of studio recorded material though!

My fiancé and I listened to this last Friday while working and we started out really enjoying it but past the halfway point my lady just says

“This is starting to sound like the music they play at the nail salon when I’m getting a mani pedi. I’m expecting this to turn into harp covers of top 40 songs.”

I turned it off so fast because she was so right 😂😭

Back