Jazz

Nope, only this from @Ghost yesterday.
Thanks. I haven't kept up with this thread. I messaged Acoustic Sounds on Instagram to see if they can confirm. From the ad it looks like it is happening, which would be excellent. Also have those two Coltranes pre-ordered for October. Love all these great pressings of jazz hitting the market for affordable prices!

Thanks. I haven't kept up with this thread. I messaged Acoustic Sounds on Instagram to see if they can confirm. From the ad it looks like it is happening, which would be excellent. Also have those two Coltranes pre-ordered for October. Love all these great pressings of jazz hitting the market for affordable prices!

Yup! Good times to build or rebuild a strong Jazz records collection.

Hey guys,

Looking back to my jazz collection, I realize that I love swing / big bands / brass bands records more that the other sub-genres.

I already got Basie at Birdland (and Atomic Basie on the way), Duke's Blues in Orbit, Preservation Hall Jazz Band's That It ! and a few Dirty Dozen Brass Band records.

Where should I go next ? I guess a little more Ellington would be nice, but what are the best records, there is loads of entries on Discogs it's overwhelming, are there some classics or modern artist I'm overlooking in this subgenre pocket ?
You might want to try some of the Mel Lewis & Thad Jones stuff. The recent Resonance (RSD release from last year is amazing), but they have a lot of good records if you like big band, and are generally cheap.

If you are getting more Duke, I'd also recommend Duke & Ella live at the Cote D'azure if you don't mind some vocals, and maybe Soul Call, a purely instrumental album taken from the same shows.

Hey guys,

Looking back to my jazz collection, I realize that I love swing / big bands / brass bands records more that the other sub-genres.

I already got Basie at Birdland (and Atomic Basie on the way), Duke's Blues in Orbit, Preservation Hall Jazz Band's That It ! and a few Dirty Dozen Brass Band records.

Where should I go next ? I guess a little more Ellington would be nice, but what are the best records, there is loads of entries on Discogs it's overwhelming, are there some classics or modern artist I'm overlooking in this subgenre pocket ?
I second Gil Evans’ big band recordings. Check out Fletcher Henderson as well. For a lesser-known name to check out, I’m fond of trumpeter Bunny Berrigan, who died way too young but left some classic swing recordings.

Is there a definitive Gil Evans big band title to check out ?
'Out of the Cool' on Impulse is a good one. 'New Bottle, Old Wine' was released as one of the early Tone Poets so you should be able to get that at a good price now. He worked quite a bit with Miles Davis, and their 3 albums 'Miles Ahead', 'Porgy and Bess' and 'Sketches of Spain' are all great as well.

'Out of the Cool' on Impulse is a good one. 'New Bottle, Old Wine' was released as one of the early Tone Poets so you should be able to get that at a good price now. He worked quite a bit with Miles Davis, and their 3 albums 'Miles Ahead', 'Porgy and Bess' and 'Sketches of Spain' are all great as well.

Think it may be my fave Tone Poet. Closely followed by Nigeria then Chant

Hey guys,

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble if you don't know them yet. Their first album is pure fire.

I'm with @Selaws on Out of the Cool as a definitive title. My favorite is Gil Evans & 10. I've got the 2016 AP pressing but it's gotten expensive. You should be able to find an affordable OJC copy in good condition though.

Does someone knows if the Vital Vinyl reissue from last year is worth it ?

Hey guys,

Lots of great suggestions so far, but you definitely should get some Glenn Miller. Hits is a good compilation.

Oh, Pure Pleasure have this one, that's probably my next stop. Does either of you have an opinion on the Duke meets Basie record ?
If the US shipping isn't a deal breaker, I'd grab the AP Masterpieces on 33 and get the speakers corner Black Brown and Beige, on a purely Ellington front, if you haven't heard Indigo's it's a wonder (though not big band)

If the US shipping isn't a deal breaker, I'd grab the AP Masterpieces on 33 and get the speakers corner Black Brown and Beige, on a purely Ellington front, if you haven't heard Indigo's it's a wonder (though not big band)

Unfortunately most of the times AP are way too expensive with shipping. Pure Pleasure / Speaker's Corner are really top notch quality and way more accessible price wise.

It was very cheap, but I bough a 70's copy of Indogo's from Discogs, looks unplayed, described as mint but is unlistenable. I've been thinking of getting the Impex version. Any recommendations?

Unfortunately most of the times AP are way too expensive with shipping. Pure Pleasure / Speaker's Corner are really top notch quality and way more accessible price wise.

I've been looking at this one and am undecided. I've been thinking of buying a few records from acoustic sounds, master sounds being one of them, but use something like myus.com for the shipping. it's a bit of a gamble, I don't know if anyone here has experience of using a shipping service from the US to UK? The exchange rate seems to be going in our favour at the minute, but for some reason retailers are charging more than ever for imports.

Back