Jazz

Interesting...ORG is debating starting a "subscription" service:

We're considering starting an exclusive subscription-based monthly vinyl club in which you sign up, let us know your preferred genre(s), and then receive a great LP from our catalog every month. This would be limited to about 50-100 people total. While we’re still working out details for this service, we’re curious if this is something you might be interested in.

Has anyone explored the Steeplechase label? The Jazzmessengers store seems to stock a bunch of titles. They look interesting, but I don't know any of the albums or the pressing quality. They have some Dexter Gordon and Chet Baker albums, amongst others, that could be interesting.

Also, if anyone didn't pick up the Thad Jones 3 LP set on Resonance, they have it for 50 Euros. I think it sounds great and well worth a purchase.

Has anyone explored the Steeplechase label? The Jazzmessengers store seems to stock a bunch of titles. They look interesting, but I don't know any of the albums or the pressing quality. They have some Dexter Gordon and Chet Baker albums, amongst others, that could be interesting.

Also, if anyone didn't pick up the Thad Jones 3 LP set on Resonance, they have it for 50 Euros. I think it sounds great and well worth a purchase.

I like a lot of Steeplechase Records stuff that I have come across. The Chet stuff is great. They signed a bunch of really good artists after they lost their big recording contracts in the 60s/70's I believe. I'd be curious to see what the source audio is though on those because a lot of the covers look like CD covers/bootlegs...in terms of some of their artists, I have become a bit Walt Dickerson fan lately. I also have some Niels-Henning Orsted Pederson records, just none listed on that site. I have two records he made with Kenny Drew that I quite like.

Sounds like this record may of just come out at the right time for you. The jazzman series is fantastic and this also looks to be a great release from them. I’m pretty familiar with steeplechase but this has quite a few tracks in unfamiliar with, so looking forward to this.

Spiritual Jazz 11: SteepleChase, by Various Artists

Also, completely agree with you, the Thad Jones / Mel Lewis art is fantastic.

I like a lot of Steeplechase Records stuff that I have come across. The Chet stuff is great. They signed a bunch of really good artists after they lost their big recording contracts in the 60s/70's I believe. I'd be curious to see what the source audio is though on those because a lot of the covers look like CD covers/bootlegs...in terms of some of their artists, I have become a bit Walt Dickerson fan lately. I also have some Niels-Henning Orsted Pederson records, just none listed on that site. I have two records he made with Kenny Drew that I quite like.

Awesome. Sounds like a new interesting rabbit hole. Hopefully the pressings and masters are good.

Sounds like this record may of just come out at the right time for you. The jazzman series is fantastic and this also looks to be a great release from them. I’m pretty familiar with steeplechase but this has quite a few tracks in unfamiliar with, so looking forward to this.

Spiritual Jazz 11: SteepleChase, by Various Artists

Also, completely agree with you, the Thad Jones / Mel Lewis art is fantastic.

I missed that entirely. I have a few of the Spiritual Jazz Lp's. perfect timing.

Does anyone have any suggestions on good, available pressings of Relaxin’ with Miles? The AP 33” version would be ideal but it’s long out of stock (“back ordered” ha) from acoustic sounds.

This album means a lot to me a as a friend bought me the cd years ago as a way to try and get me into jazz and now that I’m beefing up my jazz collection I realize I need it!

OJC pressings should be pretty good.
Does anyone have any suggestions on good, available pressings of Relaxin’ with Miles? The AP 33” version would be ideal but it’s long out of stock (“back ordered” ha) from acoustic sounds.

This album means a lot to me a as a friend bought me the cd years ago as a way to try and get me into jazz and now that I’m beefing up my jazz collection I realize I need it!

For any Maisha fans....They've hooked up with jazz royalty Gary Bartz for a one take, straight to disc recorded session.

The first available track is sounding nice.

The teaser track sounds really nice, and the description makes it look like it will be a very good record. Unfortunately, £20 plus shipping is too much for me at this time of financial uncertainty.

The teaser track sounds really nice, and the description makes it look like it will be a very good record. Unfortunately, £20 plus shipping is too much for me at this time of financial uncertainty.

Yeah, sounds ace but £9 shipping from London to London?! I'll take my chances on it appearing in a local shop.

Woah hadn't even seen the shipping :oops:. £20 worldwide and £9 London to London is super steep. shipping costs are so hit and miss on Bandcamp

@wynn72 has stumbled upon a clue for the next VMP Anthology
Ugh! I won't buy this, I'm sure (too expensive, plis it's VMP), but it sorta pisses me, because Herbie is probably my favorite musician of all time. We'll see what albums they will include, but odds are whatever they pick won't be reissued outside of this boxset for a while :(

Yes, will be interesting to see what's included, but Herbies stuff is pretty readily available s/h and it sounds good .
Ugh! I won't buy this, I'm sure (too expensive, plis it's VMP), but it sorta pisses me, because Herbie is probably my favorite musician of all time. We'll see what albums they will include, but odds are whatever they pick won't be reissued outside of this boxset for a while :(

Yes, will be interesting to see what's included, but Herbies stuff is pretty readily available s/h and it sounds good .
My guess would be:
1 Miles Davis record (Maybe a live recording, since all the 2nd Great Quintet albums have been reissued by MoFi and others)
2 Blue Notes (Probably Speak Like a Child and a small combo record like Empyrean Isles)
1 Mwandishi record (I would put my money on Sextant)
1 Headhunters record (Thrust)
1 Later career album (Probably Sunlight, but maybe Secrets)

Back