Jazz

Coincidently, a friend just texted me a link to a Netflix docu called Satan & Adam about a Harlem blues busker that sounds great.

Just watched a few weeks ago, pretty great story.

Coincidently, a friend just texted me a link to a Netflix docu called Satan & Adam about a Harlem blues busker that sounds great.

Just watched a few weeks ago, pretty great story.
The trailer looks great! I will add it to my list!

Ok Jazz-ers? Jazz-bos? Jazz-heads? I need your help! Still in the lockdown situation here and have exhausted my list of jazz documentaries/films and could really do with some more to burn through. So far I have watched & re-watched:

Chasing Trane
I Called Him Morgan
Miles Ahead
The Blue Note Story
1959, The Year That Changed Jazzind of Bill Evans
Bird

I currently have 'A Portrait of Mal Waldron', and 'Jazzlegende Wayne Shorter' lined up to watch as well. I tend to have them on whilst doing some of the more tedious bits of my work.....so plenty of time to watch them! If anyone has any recommendations it would be much appreciated!
I saw Joe Harley recommend this documentary a while ago and it looks fantastic. Unfortunately, it is not streaming anywhere and it seems the only way to watch it is to buy the DVD on amazon.

I'd like to pick up Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles. I'm wondering if this $20 pressing is decent enough rather than splurging for $90

Blue Note $20: Herbie Hancock-Empyrean Isles-Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds
Music Matters $90: Herbie Hancock-Empyrean Isles-180 Gram Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

Can anyone offer some guidance on the quality of the cheaper pressing?
Just did a bit of digging. The $20 copy is the BN75 pressing. These are not generally regarded to be great pressings unfortunately. In some cases I have seen positive reviews, but mostly negative.

Just looking, Elemental Music appears to of released a copy in 2018 which could be bought for around the $20 price. I picked up their pressing of 'Big John Patton - Oh Baby!' and 'Bobby Hutcherson - Montara' and was really impressed for the price point. Here's a link to the Elemental Pressing of Empyrean Isles. Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles

Just did a bit of digging. The $20 copy is the BN75 pressing. These are not generally regarded to be great pressings unfortunately. In some cases I have seen positive reviews, but mostly negative.

Just looking, Elemental Music appears to of released a copy in 2018 which could be bought for around the $20 price. I picked up their pressing of 'Big John Patton - Oh Baby!' and 'Bobby Hutcherson - Montara' and was really impressed for the price point. Here's a link to the Elemental Pressing of Empyrean Isles. Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles

Thanks! Is there some kind of list that provides pressing feedback?

Thanks! Is there some kind of list that provides pressing feedback?
Im sure there is somewhere but I haven't seen one. Im just going off what I tend to see online and my own experience here. I know the Hoffman forum tend to be pretty blunt and picky when it comes to pressing quality, so there might be something on there.

@Selaws not sure of numbers but the Tino is still in print and it has been out for several months now. Looks like the do an initial 'limited' run and then do a lighter weight 2nd press that they will try to keep in print for awhile.

Rough Trade messed up my order and they didn't send me Shabaka. I don't know whether I got instead of or as a free gift but they did send my Soul Wax's Smokers Delight.

Back