Jazz

Quick update - a lot of the Impulse!/Verve "Vital Vinyl" drops have been revised (again!)

Others have actually been posted for preorder via Amazon:

July 12 - Impulse!/Verve "Vital Vinyl"
Archie Shepp – Fire MusicVital VinylAmazon$25
McCoy Tyner – InceptionVital VinylAmazon$25
Ella Fitzgerald – Sings The Cole Porter SongbookVital VinylAmazon$35
Charles Mingus – The Black Saint And The Sinner LadyVital VinylAmazon$25

The 2019-20 Jazz Reissues (Needles & Grooves) spreadsheet has been fully updated to reflect the changes. (Cross-posted on The Blue Note thread)
Sweet! Was about to ask yesterday why they haven't dropped these anywhere with the release date coming up. Man you are on the ball. Need the Shepp and McCoy

Fantastic, I have been waiting to get a copy of Charles Mingus – The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady. Has anyone picked any of these from the series up yet and can comment on quality?

Also, any idea why Ella is $10 more than the rest?
I think the Ella is probably more because it’s a double LP.

Fantastic, I have been waiting to get a copy of Charles Mingus – The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady. Has anyone picked any of these from the series up yet and can comment on quality?

Also, any idea why Ella is $10 more than the rest?
The Alice and Jazz Samba Classics Records are part of this series. I have a couple on the way - Evans and Nelson. I will be ordering the Mingus through my shop. The Jobim record that amazon couldn’t send me was part of the series. Supposedly they are high quality pressings of hi res digital.
I think the Ella is probably more because it’s a double LP.
This. The Analogue Sparks was three and is sublime.

The Alice and Jazz Samba Classics Records are part of this series. I have a couple on the way - Evans and Nelson. I will be ordering the Mingus through my shop. The Jobim record that amazon couldn’t send me was part of the series. Supposedly they are high quality pressings of hi res digital.

This. The Analogue Sparks was three and is sublime.
Yeah I heard great things about the box but I really don’t want to drop $60+ on it haha!

Is anyone planning to resurrect that great ECM thread we had earlier.

I came across Chick Corea's Return to Forever and wow, i find the direction he takes on this fantastic. Previous exposure was only to the Blue Note Tone Poet release which I found underwhelming and his playing to be sort of like:
giphy.gif

But the ECM release is like...

giphy.gif

sexy stuff

I came across Chick Corea's Return to Forever and wow, i find the direction he takes on this fantastic. Previous exposure was only to the Blue Note Tone Poet release which I found underwhelming and his playing to be sort of like:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

sexy stuff
Underwhelming is not an adjective I had ever seen asociated to Corea's playing. And while I do see why you would love Return to Forever more (I tend to lean more towards that group too), his playing on Now he soings, Now he sobs is way more adventurous and in your face. I'm not saying you have to like it, but I wonder what is it that you found underwhelming and *inser Bill Nye ig here*-ish on that record.

Underwhelming is not an adjective I had ever seen asociated to Corea's playing. And while I do see why you would love Return to Forever more (I tend to lean more towards that group too), his playing on Now he soings, Now he sobs is way more adventurous and in your face. I'm not saying you have to like it, but I wonder what is it that you found underwhelming and *inser Bill Nye ig here*-ish on that record.

Wasn't my thing and I found it really boring. Perhaps the style itself isn't for me. It's hit or miss with a lot of Jazz piano albums for me.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

sexy stuff

I've been planning on it. Just need to get around to it.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

sexy stuff

I bought that ECM RTF album when I was in high school after hearing Now He Sings. And than I bought the RTF Romatic Warrior :cry: not as good by a mile.

Is this a safe place?

Not a real Jazz guy; but I find myself enjoying Piano driven Jazz.

Digging this Bill Evans Trio - Sunday At The VV

Any recommendations? Thanks.
Early McCoy Tyner on Impulse! - Inception, Today and Tomorrow, Live at Newport, Nights of Ballads & Blues

There might even be some early Herbie Hancock you might enjoy.

Is this a safe place?

Not a real Jazz guy; but I find myself enjoying Piano driven Jazz.

Digging this Bill Evans Trio - Sunday At The VV

Any recommendations? Thanks.
Check out:
Ahmad Jamal - The Awakening
Oscar Peterson Trio - Night Train
Thelonious Monk - Solo Monk
Duke Ellington - Money Jungle
Ryo Fukui - Scenery

Back