Jazz

Check out:
Ahmad Jamal - The Awakening
Oscar Peterson Trio - Night Train
Thelonious Monk - Solo Monk
Duke Ellington - Money Jungle
Ryo Fukui - Scenery
All awesome albums. Combine this with @stpaulbrowns 's list above and you have a really great set of piano jazz albums to check out. There might be a few ones coming out too in the next few months from Blue Note between the Tone Poet and 80th anniversary pressings but would have to take a look again at the list!

Is this a safe place?

Not a real Jazz guy; but I find myself enjoying Piano driven Jazz.

Digging this Bill Evans Trio - Sunday At The VV

Any recommendations? Thanks.
Likely pretty far from the kind of recommendation you were actually looking for, but I had somehow gone my entire life without hearing Art Tatum and have been blown the hell away.

Is this a safe place?

If you're open to more modern jazz, I recommend checking out Esbjorn Svensson Trio. Possibly my favourites from the past 30 years or so. Melodic piano, plus occasionally distorted bass and a drummer who likes heavy metal - they mostly play pretty classic jazz but sometimes they get quite raucous. Dodge The Dodo is a good example but really all their albums after their first two or three are superb.

Is this a safe place?

One of the things I love about these forums is being able to watch someone else ask a question and all these fantastic responses flow in which I can benefit from. Another thing is that there's no judgement on who's a jazz guy or not! We're all just guys and gals finding our way in this crazy world, with music as our guide :cool:

I love a lot of McCoy Tyner's work. Been listening to the live album Passion Dance lately, a couple of numbers with a fantastic trio of Tyner, Ron Carter and Tony Williams as well as some solo pieces, all of which I find exquisite. But I'm not really a jazz guy...;)

Hey Jazz crew, if you don't already own it, Wax Buyers Club is doing the first variant ever of Henri Texier's Varech next month :

It should be the same mastering as the recent reissue, that sound superb.

Coltrane Atlantic boxset just arrived - clearly 'not new' as advertised but not too bad - a little dog-eared around the corner of the box but everything inside is in new condition. Amazon gave me a little more discount so ended up only being 62 pounds - happy with that!
Can't wait to dig in today - looks incredible and I'm a newbie to most of these albums. Very excited

Hey Jazz crew, if you don't already own it, Wax Buyers Club is doing the first variant ever of Henri Texier's Varech next month :

It should be the same mastering as the recent reissue, that sound superb.

Love me some Texier! I just had a look and I would have to sub for 3 months as an international, might have to search on discogs a few months after it gets released!

Coltrane Atlantic boxset just arrived - clearly 'not new' as advertised but not too bad - a little dog-eared around the corner of the box but everything inside is in new condition. Amazon gave me a little more discount so ended up only being 62 pounds - happy with that!
Can't wait to dig in today - looks incredible and I'm a newbie to most of these albums. Very excited

Sweet! Im sure you will enjoy that buddy, its fantastic!

Quality all the way with that box, enjoy! I really love Ole.

Oh yeah Passion Dance is a sister album to Counterpoint/live in Tokyo, basically tracks from the same gig , never met a McCoy I didn’t like 😀
One of the things I love about these forums is being able to watch someone else ask a question and all these fantastic responses flow in which I can benefit from. Another thing is that there's no judgement on who's a jazz guy or not! We're all just guys and gals finding our way in this crazy world, with music as our guide :cool:

I love a lot of McCoy Tyner's work. Been listening to the live album Passion Dance lately, a couple of numbers with a fantastic trio of Tyner, Ron Carter and Tony Williams as well as some solo pieces, all of which I find exquisite. But I'm not really a jazz guy...;)

Oh yeah Passion Dance is a sister album to Counterpoint/live in Tokyo, basically tracks from the same gig , never met a McCoy I didn’t like 😀
I agree - love McCoy. Curious about how this thread feels about his release Horizon from 1980? Allmusic seems to LOVE that album - (I know, not always the best source of objectivity!) - but I haven't been able to find my groove in it yet. Like all good music, sometimes patience is important - but just wondering if any of you have found an appreciation for Horizon?

I purchased this boxset from Amazon last year. It was all superb until I got to "Plays the blues" and I found the record inside the jacket was "The avant garde" from that same set. I loked into the Avant garde jacket to see if the "Plays the blues" record was in there, but it wasn't, so I basically had 2 Avant gardes and no blues. Amazon made me send it back and sent me a replacement which turned out fine. I just hope my messed up boxset doesn't end up being sold to someone via their "Warehouse deals," because that would be really shity.

Over on t’other place there was a recommendation from someone regarding good pressings of the Bill Evans Trio - specifically the village vanguard season which had included the waltz for Debby recordings - but as the forum has been canned I’ve lost the recommendation.

A little help?

IMO a good value in Bill Evans (and other Riverside artists) is the Milestone "twofer" series. Here is an all-analog reissue of both days at the Village Vanguard in Mint condition for $25: https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/890799459

For whatever reason, it was common to change the names of the albums and the artwork so people don't always know that "Spring Leaves" by Bill Evans is actually Portrait in Jazz and Explorations. This is great for collectors since that tends to keep the price low. That one can be had for $10 here: https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/446032938

IMO a good value in Bill Evans (and other Riverside artists) is the Milestone "twofer" series. Here is an all-analog reissue of both days at the Village Vanguard in Mint condition for $25: https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/890799459

For whatever reason, it was common to change the names of the albums and the artwork so people don't always know that "Spring Leaves" by Bill Evans is actually Portrait in Jazz and Explorations. This is great for collectors since that tends to keep the price low. That one can be had for $10 here: https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/446032938
Successfully resisting buying that $25 Village Vanguard out from under you immediately is probably the greatest expression of my willpower that has happened in a year, @SherlockOhms (unless you aren't going to buy it....?)

End of Brussels Jazz Marathon. So these Glass Museum are fantastic! Their show was absolutely amazing. They have a new record coming, can't wait to hear that. Blow 3.0 were very good too and I'll have to listen to Compro Oro again. Tonight, after the Glass Museum show, we went to Azmari's release party for their album Ekera, we only saw the last 15min and it was very good with a lot of Balkanic or Oriental influences. I'll share pictures when I'll come home tomorrow.

Back