Jazz

Just posted the below on the exclusives, thinking I was here. Anyway:

Spent the evening listening....and relistening to Joel Ross - Kingmaker. Its just a stunning album. I had a quick look online and was delighted to see he is performing in Soho, London at the Pizza Express Jazz lounge. Managed to get a couple of tickets so can't wait for that. Just wish he had more albums for me to binge!

Just posted the below on the exclusives, thinking I was here. Anyway:

Spent the evening listening....and relistening to Joel Ross - Kingmaker. Its just a stunning album. I had a quick look online and was delighted to see he is performing in Soho, London at the Pizza Express Jazz lounge. Managed to get a couple of tickets so can't wait for that. Just wish he had more albums for me to binge!

I like that place. It’s well over a decade since we were there because it was pre-kids but we saw Preservation Hall Jazz Band play there. They had us all second lining by the end of the night!

I like that place. It’s well over a decade since we were there because it was pre-kids but we saw Preservation Hall Jazz Band play there. They had us all second lining by the end of the night!
Ah fantastic! It will be my first time there. Funnily enough I was looking last night to see who was performing there in the upcoming months as its an impressive list. Darius Brubeck is playing there and I believe tickets are around £20-£25, it was wayyy more to see him during the london jazz festival (at least double).

I got the Jaco box from amazon uk , in the good old days when I could buy from them , it's a possibility . .
I would be very very surprised if this got fulfilled. Resonance has never repressed a record to my knowledge and those Evans albums were scooped up and sold out very quickly over RSD.

Hey for those that like extreme free jazz in the San Antonio, Peter Brotzmann is playing your town! Even if you don’t like free jazz, just go to see someone doing something that is barely possible by a human being!
With Heather Leigh too. I would love to see that show. Both very singular artists. Their albums they’ve done together are fantastic.

Just snagged one of the Coltrane Atlantic Mono Vinyl boxsets on Amazon for £73 - looking around it seems like this is a good deal - is it good or are there better offers to be found elsewhere?
Its an amazing deal @surrealmadrid75. Its my favorite box set by far, utterly fantastic. Makes me wonder, if you get that much great music for such a cheap price I wonder how great the more expensive Coltrane box sets must be (looking at you Coltrane '58: The Prestige Recordings)

I finally got around to watching a documentary that I've had on my watch list for ages, 'I Called Him Morgan'.

Its a documentary focusing on the legendary Lee Morgan and his wife, Helen. Its directed by Kaspar Collin (who also directed the Albert Ayler documentary, 'My Name Is Albert Ayler') and has a really interesting narrative. Its basically structured around a rare interview Helen did with Larry Reni Thomas in '96 (the interview went unheard until Kaspar found out about it). This interview has been split up into 10-11 parts, with the pauses in between being taken up by interviews and photos/videos of Morgan performing. Theres a killer line up of interviewees (with some fantastic anecdotes), I scribbled some of the names down including Wayne Shorter, Wayne Shorter, Jymie Merritt, Bennie Maupin, Albert "Tootie" Heath Larry Ridley, etc.

I had never seen videos of Morgan performing before, and honestly I got chills. Im going to spend some time tonight ona youtube dig to find some more, hes really captivating. Heres a Guardian review of the film:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...m-morgan-review-jazz-kasper-collin-lee-morgan

Its an amazing deal @surrealmadrid75. Its my favorite box set by far, utterly fantastic. Makes me wonder, if you get that much great music for such a cheap price I wonder how great the more expensive Coltrane box sets must be (looking at you Coltrane '58: The Prestige Recordings)
That’s good to know - I presumed it was a deal - although it’s amazon ‘like new’ so we’ll see! Can’t wait to have a listen

I finally got around to watching a documentary that I've had on my watch list for ages, 'I Called Him Morgan'.

Its a documentary focusing on the legendary Lee Morgan and his wife, Helen. Its directed by Kaspar Collin (who also directed the Albert Ayler documentary, 'My Name Is Albert Ayler') and has a really interesting narrative. Its basically structured around a rare interview Helen did with Larry Reni Thomas in '96 (the interview went unheard until Kaspar found out about it). This interview has been split up into 10-11 parts, with the pauses in between being taken up by interviews and photos/videos of Morgan performing. Theres a killer line up of interviewees (with some fantastic anecdotes), I scribbled some of the names down including Wayne Shorter, Wayne Shorter, Jymie Merritt, Bennie Maupin, Albert "Tootie" Heath Larry Ridley, etc.

I had never seen videos of Morgan performing before, and honestly I got chills. Im going to spend some time tonight ona youtube dig to find some more, hes really captivating. Heres a Guardian review of the film:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/20...m-morgan-review-jazz-kasper-collin-lee-morgan
It’s a great film.

Really good film, that, Chasing Trane and What Happened, Miss Simone are 3 good, Jazz Thread friendly documentaries on Netflix.

Mingus, Charlie Mingus is good too and on Youtube.

I'm lining up Round Midnight as my next Jazz watch, it's fiction, loosely based on Lester Young and Bud Powell with music by Herbie Hancock and stars Dexter Gordon, Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter as a cameo!!!!

Quick update - a lot of the Impulse!/Verve "Vital Vinyl" drops have been revised (again!)

Others have actually been posted for preorder via Amazon:

July 12 - Impulse!/Verve "Vital Vinyl"
Archie Shepp – Fire MusicVital VinylAmazon$25
McCoy Tyner – InceptionVital VinylAmazon$25
Ella Fitzgerald – Sings The Cole Porter SongbookVital VinylAmazon$35
Charles Mingus – The Black Saint And The Sinner LadyVital VinylAmazon$25

The 2019-20 Jazz Reissues (Needles & Grooves) spreadsheet has been fully updated to reflect the changes. (Cross-posted on The Blue Note thread)

Quick update - a lot of the Impulse!/Verve "Vital Vinyl" drops have been revised (again!)

Others have actually been posted for preorder via Amazon:

July 12 - Impulse!/Verve "Vital Vinyl"
Archie Shepp – Fire MusicVital VinylAmazon$25
McCoy Tyner – InceptionVital VinylAmazon$25
Ella Fitzgerald – Sings The Cole Porter SongbookVital VinylAmazon$35
Charles Mingus – The Black Saint And The Sinner LadyVital VinylAmazon$25

The 2019-20 Jazz Reissues (Needles & Grooves) spreadsheet has been fully updated to reflect the changes. (Cross-posted on The Blue Note thread)
Fantastic, I have been waiting to get a copy of Charles Mingus – The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady. Has anyone picked any of these from the series up yet and can comment on quality?

Also, any idea why Ella is $10 more than the rest?

Back