Jazz

Just shared this over in the hip hop thread, but to be honest this album is more neo-soul/modern jazz and probably fits better in this corner of the forum. It's an absolutely stunning album that is well worth a listen:

"Seba Kaapstad is a multi-national neo-soul quartet comprised of a South African, a Swazi, and two Germans. They summon the most powerful manifestation of creativity: music that represents an idea. Their Mello Music debut album, Thina, takes its name from the Zulu word for “us.” It is a gorgeous halo of soul, encompassing several continents worth of sound, and obliterating the notion of genre. It is divined by artists whose lineage is riven with trauma and suffering. But like their ancestors, they endured. And only in this futuristic present could they reconcile the perseverance and turmoil of the past, using music to inspire unity and heal.

They conjure beatific grooves that radiate with alluvial soul, celestial jazz, electronic experimentation and the polyrhythmic essence of Africa. It is marrow music, what digs beneath your bones, seeping into your bloodstream and inner visions. You hear flashes of the greats: Badu, Georgia Anne Muldrow, Jill Scott, and the Things Fall Apart-era Roots. You might even hear the ethereal float of Frank Ocean or the glowing bliss of Flying Lotus and Thundercat. But like all stellar quartets, Seba Kaapstad is indivisible and made stronger by the sum of their parts."

Far be it for me to be recommending anything but MrBongo posted this on their Insta feed and well.... I couldn’t buy fast enough.

Ya know...I’ve been thinking about him and Thundercat more lately in the context of jazz with FlyLo’s new album our. I saw Thundercat at the Blue Note recently too and it made me realize how deeply rooted in Jazz he is. Live show especially. He often plays live as a trio and in most songs, trades back and forth with the drummer and keyboardist as they solo and improvise for a stretch, then it’s the next guy’s turn and they get back into the groove. Got to see a FlyLo in a similar setting/stage show once. He played with Thundercat, Ravi Coltrane and I think Thundercat’s bro Ronald Bruner on drums. It was probably my favorite FlyLo show I’ve seen.

I’d say FlyLo is more jazz-influenced while I’d say Thundercat could maybe just be classified more by straight up jazz fusion. It’s also funny to listen to some of their influences and favorite songs. Thundercat did something on the radio not that long ago where he played some songs that influenced him. He played Arrow Through Me by Wings and Little Church by Miles. Both awesome songs and kinda blew my mind that I hadn’t associated those songs with Thundercat before since you really hear the influence.

What does FlyLo play when he plays live? Computer, samplers, turntables?

I think that would be the big reason why he wouldn’t be classified as a jazz musician.

What does FlyLo play when he plays live? Computer, samplers, turntables?

I think that would be the big reason why he wouldn’t be classified as a jazz musician.
When I saw him play with a jazz band, he was sampling the instruments live which was pretty rad. Otherwise in a normal show he just DJs essentially. Thundercat falls more into jazz for me but I think FlyLo still has tons of elements of jazz. He’s just more of a producer. There was an article recently where he mentioned that he’s been learning more music theory now and how to actually play instruments. You’re Dead is his jazziest album but the new one has many elements of it too.

Far be it for me to be recommending anything but MrBongo posted this on their Insta feed and well.... I couldn’t buy fast enough.

I picked this up in London earlier this month and it's mighty fine.

Any recs for other Mr Bongo releases? Going to snag this and wanted to grab one or two more things to combine shipping.

Any recs for other Mr Bongo releases? Going to snag this and wanted to grab one or two more things to combine shipping.

Only one or two? I would suggest Minoru Muraoka - Bamboo (Japanese Jazz) and Cymande ‎– Promised Heights (Rock, Funk, Soul) but there are many many other great records, it's a dangerous label for your wallet. You can also grab any of the three volumes of Mr Bongo Record Club (kind of a best of the Mr Bongo's reissues).

Only one or two? I would suggest Minoru Muraoka - Bamboo (Japanese Jazz) and Cymande ‎– Promised Heights (Rock, Funk, Soul) but there are many many other great records, it's a dangerous label for your wallet. You can also grab any of the three volumes of Mr Bongo Record Club (kind of a best of the Mr Bongo's reissues).
I have a few Mr Bongo releases! Have the Arthur Verocai and quite a few others. Also have some OG pressings of Cymande. Gonna check out the Record Club and that Japanese Jazz! Thanks!

There are so so many. I find their Spotify playlist is a really good reference point for their releases. Most of their releases have a listen element to the page so have a listen. I have some record club releases and they are great. You could also pick up some of the Analog Africa releases which is are all universally great.
If you like the Arthur Verocai release, you should definitely pick up the Toquinho release though. I think they have a similar vibe.

There are so so many. I find their Spotify playlist is a really good reference point for their releases. Most of their releases have a listen element to the page so have a listen. I have some record club releases and they are great. You could also pick up some of the Analog Africa releases which is are all universally great.
If you like the Arthur Verocai release, you should definitely pick up the Toquinho release though. I think they have a similar vibe.
Thanks! I’ll check their Spotify. Grabbed that Toquinho VMP sclusie. It’s a good one! The Analogue Africa releases are something I haven’t dug into yet so might look at those!

Happy Jazz Sunday everybody. It’s a working Sunday. I’m streaming the Savory Collection this morning. If you’re unfamiliar:
This is fantastic!!

He grew up around the Coltrane family since he’s related to them. I think Alice is his great Aunt or something like that. His entire family is very musical and influenced his music greatly (Alice is sampled on some of his older stuff). He’s doing his own thing too but it’s deeply rooted in the foundation that the Coltranes laid out. I won’t say he’s straight up jazz, but he’s one degree away from it IMO. I agree that You’re Dead is his jazziest though.

This is a great explanation. I attended the VMP / Colleen Cosmo Murphy 'Classic Album Sunday' on Cosmogramma which had Raj Chaudhuri as the co-host. He's been following Flying Lotus since his early days (he was actually one of the first people that Flying Lotus would send demo's to) and his knowledge of Flying Lotus' music is insane. He gave a similar explanation as @MikeH, that Flying Lotus used his musical experiences from his aunt (alice coltrane) as the foundations to his own music, and as such he sees his music as being one step from jazz. There's a great write up by Flying Lotus in the liner notes of Alice Coltrane Luaka Bop reissue which basically confirms all this. I will see if i can dig it out and post it here.

Edit: The part of the liner notes im talking about is in this article here - https://pitchfork.com/news/72837-li...mpilation-featuring-flying-lotus-liner-notes/

I will probably not be able to keep up the with convos in this thread as I am still pretty much a jazz n00b

Anyone else a Newvelle Records season 4 subscriber? I just got the Greg Tardy & Bill Frisell album and am really digging it!
I have been really interested in these, no money at the right time
Is this a safe place?

Not a real Jazz guy; but I find myself enjoying Piano driven Jazz.

Digging this Bill Evans Trio - Sunday At The VV

Any recommendations? Thanks.
Monk is my favorite probably my favorite jazz artists (in my limited jazz experience)

Next set of Blue Note 80s are up for preorder on Amazon. July 12 release ($25/each):

Reuben Wilson - Blue Mode
Bobbi Humphrey - Blacks and Blues
Lonnie Smith - Think!

2019-20 Jazz Reissues (Needles & Grooves) spreadsheet has been updated. (Cross-Post on The Blue Note thread)
The Mingus x 5 Verve pre-order is up as well, if you want to add that one - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RF4HZ57/.

Bullmoose too - https://www.bullmoose.com/p/30601268/charles-mingus-mingus-mingus-mingus-mingus-mingus

I own no Coltrane on vinyl and would like to pick up some of his seminal work but there are so many different pressings out there. Any recommendations on which ones to get. Right now would be leaning towards solid value vs. high-priced audiophile pressings.

I own no Coltrane on vinyl and would like to pick up some of his seminal work but there are so many different pressings out there. Any recommendations on which ones to get. Right now would be leaning towards solid value vs. high-priced audiophile pressings.
A Love Supreme has a standard pressing readily available, I think. The other Coltrane starters (my opinion only - I'm sure others will chime in) are Giant Steps, Blue Train, and My Favorite Things.

Back