Jazz

Well I finished listening to Matthew Halsall's discography this morning (started from the earliest release to the latest) and just loved every minute. I especially like 'On The Go', 'Colour Yes', and 'Oneness'. I bought 'On The Go' the other day and plan on cracking it open this weekend so that should be good.

Great recommendation @Dtknuckles & @Mr Moore

And another thats getting released tomorrow. Unreleased Buddy Rich (hopefully in his prime as opposed to in the photo). Theres a great section in Art Peppers book when he met Buddy Rich for the first time. It was in a big band audition and Rich just walked into a big room, told them all to start playing and just stood back and watched. After a long time he just nodded at Pepper and said something along the lines of "you will do".

IMG_9830.PNG

KVL are another great group out of Chicago, featuring one of my favourite drummers Quin Kirchner and a guest performance from Jaimie Branch, and their debut is out today Volume 1, by KVL I picked up with far more reasonable shipping from Juno.

KVL are another great group out of Chicago, featuring one of my favourite drummers Quin Kirchner and a guest performance from Jaimie Branch, and their debut is out today Volume 1, by KVL I picked up with far more reasonable shipping from Juno.

I was recommened this by @phramenma and thought the sample sounded great. Nice to see it's possible to pick it up in Europe as well. The shipping from their bandcamp would cost as much as the record. There's a limited orange version on their bandcamp (100) which might appeal to our american friends.

Hey All, so the question I have is ......
Bill Evans...where should I start?
Over the years I've heard the guys name mentioned a million times as a huge influence to many a musician jazz or otherwise, but have never delved into his catalogue.
Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Waltz For Debby
Portrait In Jazz
New Jazz Conceptions

Worth noting that he was a key player (ignore the pun) in Miles Davis’ Kind Of Blue (he wrote Blue In Green - although Davis also claimed to of written it).

Village Vanguard
Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Waltz For Debby
Portrait In Jazz
New Jazz Conceptions

Worth noting that he was a key player (ignore the pun) in Miles Davis’ Kind Of Blue (he wrote Blue In Green - although Davis also claimed to of written it).

Thanks @KenKaniff and @Selaws. Looks like that's my Sunday sorted! Any other recommendations also welcome.

Last edited:
Back