Jazz

Sunday at the Village Vanguard
Waltz For Debby
Portrait In Jazz
New Jazz Conceptions

Worth noting that he was a key player (ignore the pun) in Miles Davis’ Kind Of Blue (he wrote Blue In Green - although Davis also claimed to of written it).

Bill Evans also claimed that Davis wrote it, but that is somehow ignored when the authorship issue is brought up.

I’ve been in Japan the past few days and have gotten lucky with some nice finds at very affordable prices.

058E464C-5DFF-4B62-AF4A-0D2A96662A53.jpeg

Herbie Hancock- Takin’ Off

B6B8EDAE-13AA-4DD7-8C3E-9CF6A601D657.jpeg

I cannot find any information on this album, let alone this press. Looking through McCoy Turner’s discography, it doesn’t even seem like a proper release. Maybe a boot? Or Japanese compilation? Any help would be appreciated.

98450616-36C3-4A65-BA40-FBA6FD3FDA53.jpeg

Wayne Shorter- Speak No Evil

I’ve been in Japan the past few days and have gotten lucky with some nice finds at very affordable prices.

View attachment 22765

View attachment 22766

I cannot find any information on this album, let alone this press. Looking through McCoy Turner’s discography, it doesn’t even seem like a proper release. Maybe a boot? Or Japanese compilation? Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 22767

Did you compare the Tyner to Today and Tomorrow? Very similar photo and has Autumn Leaves on it.

Did you compare the Tyner to Today and Tomorrow? Very similar photo and has Autumn Leaves on it.
So it seems to be the album that comes the closest. It mostly resembles the 1991 reissue that included songs from a second recording session, but even then, there are a few songs that seem to be out of place.
image.jpg

So it seems to be the album that comes the closest. It mostly resembles the 1991 reissue that included songs from a second recording session, but even then, there are a few songs that seem to be out of place.
View attachment 22773
Bizarre! Might be a bootleg/comp. I have a few weird japanese pressings like that.

Saw Angel Bat Dawid and her band last night and I can’t recommend them highly enough. I absolutely loved it. They definitely channel many influences from Sun Ra, Roscoe and the AEoC, Hip-Hop. It’s a really great, fresh eclectic sound. At times it was more like watching an art installation than a jazz gig.

4AFA27D1-2185-4C5F-8D97-A47250EFC7B8.jpeg

No video from the show but she did join the audience in the waiting lobby afterwards with a continuation of her act and then met a young girl who’s brother had contacted her through Instagram because she plays clarinet and has no influences. Cute.

Last edited:
I’d say it’s a Japanese comp, they used to do a lot of that, I had one called McCoy Plays and it wasn’t on Discogs and I’ve also seen Elvin JonesBest Of and heaps of Coltrane’s Comps all on Impulse.
View attachment 22773

View attachment 22765

View attachment 22766

View attachment 22767

What's the name of the store? Want to check it out when I'm there.

I saw Herbie Hancock at the Barbican last night. As we were waiting (we got there with a couple of hours to spare so we could grab a coffee and cake) Tomorrow's Warriors turned up to play a free set. Really killer night. At 79 years old Herbie is an absolute machine, running up and down the stage and jumping, all whilst carrying and playing that piano guitar thing of his. Played non-stop (apart from chatting to everyone in the audience a couple of times) for over 2 hours. I recorded the audio and have been listening on repeat, just amazing!

IMG_9955.JPG

IMG_1982.JPG

IMG_1981.JPG

IMG_20191117_193249.jpg

This is the most recent addition to my collection: the latest record (and only on vinyl afaik) by Mexican Jazz Fusion band Troker

Has anyone heard about this guys? They are signed to Ropeadope, have performed on Glastonbury twice, and play a mix of jazz and Mexican folk music with a DJ scratching on stage. They may not be the best soloists, but I find their music to be very exciting and unique. I'll leave a link to their "Tiny Desk" performance at the end of the post.

IMG_20191117_193234.jpg
The record is pressed on a gorgeous marbled yellow vinyl

IMG_20191117_193314.jpg

The record came with this little insert, which I found pretty funny.

Translation: ¿Why 45RPM?: 33RPM vinyl are only a fad [lol]. 1. This is a 45 RPM Vinyl: More speed=Better audio quality. 2. Audio Quality: Better dynamics, definition, and less surface noise. 3: Cut: Music on inner grooves tends to have more distortion. Our music is on the outter rings. 4: Our passion: Is the sonic quest and honesty in music, in order to deliver the best to our fans. 5: Made in UK: With the work of the best engineers and high quality production.

Last edited:
I saw Herbie Hancock at the Barbican last night. As we were waiting (we got there with a couple of hours to spare so we could grab a coffee and cake) Tomorrow's Warriors turned up to play a free set. Really killer night. At 79 years old Herbie is an absolute machine, running up and down the stage and jumping, all whilst carrying and playing that piano guitar thing of his. Played non-stop (apart from chatting to everyone in the audience a couple of times) for over 2 hours. I recorded the audio and have been listening on repeat, just amazing!

View attachment 22919

View attachment 22920

View attachment 22918

Dude plays a keytar??? That's the coolest thing ever.

Back