Jazz

@Mr Moore did you see the new Halsall releases this past Friday. Good stuff, haven’t checked for vinyl yet, but I’m pretty sure he’s selling some.

I did and I bought a whole bunch!

Think I saw a load on his Fresh Grabs haul. I haven't heard of Halsall but my interest has peaked with the amount of people talking about him, who is he?

what @Dtknuckles said. You’ll love his stuff.

@Dtknuckles and @Mr Moore im halfway through 'On The Go' and im LOVING it. So so good, I wish I'd have heard of this a while ago. Now im going to have to wait for the next Music Magpie sale and binge as much of his stuff as I can. I love the pianist on this album as well, Adam Fairhall, and I hadn't heard of him until now either.

Big thanks for the recommendation guys!

I'm cross-posting this with my status on the main page, so apologies for that first up...

So a good friend of mine here in Calgary (Carsten Rubeling) just released his first six-song EP on Inner Ocean Records. It's called VOLK//PEOPLE, and it a very laid back, funk and hip-hop influenced jazz album that he and a group of musicians have been workshopping live for about 8 months or so. Carsten's a crazy-talented trombonist, and he normally finds himself getting gigs that are more classical and traditional. He's been able to find an interesting lane as a band leader for this project.

If y'all are interested:

@Selaws

just went on Amazon...8 left of Oneness. Bought. 46 total for a triple disc!

Cheers @Dtknuckles. I ordered 'On The Go' earlier to arrive tomorrow. I might hold off on the Oneness for now (there seems to be some for the same price dotted around ebay etc so no rush). I imagine I will end up picking up most of his albums though, I absolutely love what I have heard so far. I have them all downloaded on my phone ready to stream at work tomorrow :ROFLMAO:

Cheers @Dtknuckles. I ordered 'On The Go' earlier to arrive tomorrow. I might hold off on the Oneness for now (there seems to be some for the same price dotted around ebay etc so no rush). I imagine I will end up picking up most of his albums though, I absolutely love what I have heard so far. I have them all downloaded on my phone ready to stream at work tomorrow :ROFLMAO:

Oneness is great because you get the spiritual stuff as well as the more traditional jazz instrumentation

I was browsing through the ol ‘bay today and came across a jazz record called The Young Lions featuring Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter, Frank Stozier, Bobby Timmons, Bob Crenshaw, and Albert Heath and Louis Hayes splitting drum duty. It’s a pretty awesome album from a stellar lineup. It’s filled with mostly Shorter penned tunes. Needless to say, I ordered it after checking it out on Spotify.

I’ve never heard of the album before but it came out on Vee Jay which I never think of being as a jazz label even though I know they released some stuff by Morgan and Shorter early on in their respective careers that I quite enjoy. Anyone care to shed more knowledge on Vee Jay in the jazz world? Or recommend some other jazz albums on the label?

I was browsing through the ol ‘bay today and came across a jazz record called The Young Lions featuring Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter, Frank Stozier, Bobby Timmons, Bob Crenshaw, and Albert Heath and Louis Hayes splitting drum duty. It’s a pretty awesome album from a stellar lineup. It’s filled with mostly Shorter penned tunes. Needless to say, I ordered it after checking it out on Spotify.

I’ve never heard of the album before but it came out on Vee Jay which I never think of being as a jazz label even though I know they released some stuff by Morgan and Shorter early on in their respective careers that I quite enjoy. Anyone care to shed more knowledge on Vee Jay in the jazz world? Or recommend some other jazz albums on the label?

I believe @Selaws grabbed this one too recently.

Yeahhhhh buddy! Picked the first mono up a couple of months back. Its a really great hard-bop album which shows off each member of the group equally (although from memory I believe it was shorter who wrote some or most of the tracks).

I have a few Vee Jay albums now (mostly Morgans releases) and they have all been top notch, fantastic audio quality and quite durable by all accounts. Blue Note has a great reputation for being able to withstand light scratches and Vee Jay seems to be on the similar level. The other benefit of them, especially when it comes to Morgan, is that you can pick up for brilliant sessions which would cost 2-3 times the price if it was on the Blue Note label. Most of the time they are just as good, if not better, than those released on Blue Note. If you want recommendations I would look out for 'Expoobident' and 'Heres Lee Morgan' both by Lee Morgan. Great sessions and the original pressings can be picked up for a really affordable price.

IMG_9761.JPG

Yeahhhhh buddy! Picked the first mono up a couple of months back. Its a really great hard-bop album which shows off each member of the group equally (although from memory I believe it was shorter who wrote some or most of the tracks).

I have a few Vee Jay albums now (mostly Morgans releases) and they have all been top notch, fantastic audio quality and quite durable by all accounts. Blue Note has a great reputation for being able to withstand light scratches and Vee Jay seems to be on the similar level. The other benefit of them, especially when it comes to Morgan, is that you can pick up for brilliant sessions which would cost 2-3 times the price if it was on the Blue Note label. Most of the time they are just as good, if not better, than those released on Blue Note. If you want recommendations I would look out for 'Expoobident' and 'Heres Lee Morgan' both by Lee Morgan. Great sessions and the original pressings can be picked up for a really affordable price.

View attachment 22197
Nice! The one I got is Stereo. I know early Vee-Jay stereo copies of anything are rare and sound good so hopefully it does indeed sound good! And yeah those Lee Morgan albums rip, I just need to buy them one of these days. They pop up with some frequency and obviously aren’t as desirable as his Blue Notes.

Nice! The one I got is Stereo. I know early Vee-Jay stereo copies of anything are rare and sound good so hopefully it does indeed sound good! And yeah those Lee Morgan albums rip, I just need to buy them one of these days. They pop up with some frequency and obviously aren’t as desirable as his Blue Notes.
Yeah for sure, and you should find it a lot easier to pick up in the US as well. Tends to be tricky to pick up anything at an affordable price over here in the UK, believe it or not im actually finding it cheaper to buy from mainland Europe or even the US, still works out cheaper even with shipping in a lot of cases.

Hi all. I know this is pretty well covered, but I picked up Erroll Garner's Ready Take One
(NY times article) Erroll Garner Recordings Unearthed for a New Album and the album is just a fantastic bit of piano on a spectacular pressing. I find myself liking it far more than Concert by the Sea -- there is an immediacy to recording and playing that's just great

Rather than clog up the Black Friday thread with my jazz nonsense, I thought I would post here. I went through the list and picked out the jazz related releases (I may have missed a few) and cross checked them with Rough Trade's website to see prices etc. The majority look to be mid to high £20 mark (which I suppose is to be expected). My plan is basically to get to rough trade mid-day during my lunch break and see whats there. Im also going to the Blue Note pop-up at the end of the day, so I might wait until then and pop over to the Soho record shops.

Bill Evans - Live at Art D’lugoff’s (heafty at £39 but its an amazing session and the resale of the 2012 box set is more than double the price)
The Comet is Coming - Afterlife
Herbie Hancock - Directstep
Miles Davis - Miles In Tokyo: Miles Davis Live In Concert
Miles Davis - Early Minor: Rare Miles From The Complete In A Silent Way Sessions
Thad Jones / Mel Lewis - All My Yesterdays: The Debut 1966 Recordings at The Village Vanguard (at £65 this is going to be a hard pass unfortuanately)
Chet Baker - Chet Baker Sings It Could Happen To You (plagued by grey label reissues. This is a limited pressing, not on the top of my list but if all the others are unavailable I will consider this....assuming Im able to get my hands on it)
The Magnificent Charlie Parker - Charlie Parker (yellow vinyl)
Cecil Taylor - Indent (another pricy one at £30 on white vinyl. Worth noting that the first press is available for less than this on 'cogs).
Ow! Live At The Penthouse - Johnny Griffin - Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis Quintet (RSD pricing at its finest...£55 for this 2lp set. Unreleased but surely not worth that kind of money IMO)

Are you guys after anything specific? My main aims are The Comet Is Coming, Herbie Hancock, Bill Evans (still kicking myself for missing the Live In England). Im intrigued by the 2 Miles as well, especially the Tokyo, but if I want to eat this month I will have to be VERY selective.

Think I saw a load on his Fresh Grabs haul. I haven't heard of Halsall but my interest has peaked with the amount of people talking about him, who is he?

He is also the founder of Gondwana Records, home of Gogo Penguin, Mammal Hands, Stuff, Portico Quartet, etc...

He is also the founder of Gondwana Records, home of Gogo Penguin, Mammal Hands, Stuff, Portico Quartet, etc...
Ah now that makes sense! I was listening to his albums with 'The Gondwana Orchestra' earlier, the connection makes sense now.

Rather than clog up the Black Friday thread with my jazz nonsense, I thought I would post here. I went through the list and picked out the jazz related releases (I may have missed a few) and cross checked them with Rough Trade's website to see prices etc. The majority look to be mid to high £20 mark (which I suppose is to be expected). My plan is basically to get to rough trade mid-day during my lunch break and see whats there. Im also going to the Blue Note pop-up at the end of the day, so I might wait until then and pop over to the Soho record shops.

Bill Evans - Live at Art D’lugoff’s (heafty at £39 but its an amazing session and the resale of the 2012 box set is more than double the price)
Miles Davis - Early Minor: Rare Miles From The Complete In A Silent Way Sessions
Thad Jones / Mel Lewis - All My Yesterdays: The Debut 1966 Recordings at The Village Vanguard (at £65 this is going to be a hard pass unfortuanately)
Chet Baker - Chet Baker Sings It Could Happen To You (plagued by grey label reissues. This is a limited pressing, not on the top of my list but if all the others are unavailable I will consider this....assuming Im able to get my hands on it)
Cecil Taylor - Indent (another pricy one at £30 on white vinyl. Worth noting that the first press is available for less than this on 'cogs).
Ow! Live At The Penthouse - Johnny Griffin - Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis Quintet (RSD pricing at its finest...£55 for this 2lp set. Unreleased but surely not worth that kind of money IMO)

Are you guys after anything specific? My main aims are The Comet Is Coming, Herbie Hancock, Bill Evans (still kicking myself for missing the Live In England). Im intrigued by the 2 Miles as well, especially the Tokyo, but if I want to eat this month I will have to be VERY selective.

I'll be all after Comet is Coming if this is an RSD exclusive and not a RSD first press. I am waiting for the list of records Balades Sonores will have in Paris and will try to visit them on that day. I don't remember any BIG BFRSD release that I consider like a must-have.

Miles, Evans, comet, Hancock I would grab (possibly others) but two things might prevent it:
1) I'm in the air on Friday, so looking Saturday
2) my local (Newbury) sells the RSD releases for ~10-20% higher than the MSRP... and while I've but the bullet the past few years (because, let's face it, I have a problem...) it really sticks in my craw and sours me a bit on the whole thing

That said... I'll still see what is left Saturday or will most likely be in of the hordes crashing plaidroom's site, but I've come to peace with it and am trying to reject the fomo... But.... Live in Tokyo 😍....c'mon.... Sigh, I have issues

I think the Blue Note pop up shop ends the week before Black Friday. I could be wrong.

I'm definitely going for the Bill Evans. I'm not sure where I'll be that weekend yet though, so I might struggle on the day. I did notice Banquet are putting them up for sale online on the Saturday. A bit cheaper than rough Trade so hopefully I can pick one up online if I can't get to a store on Friday.

The comet is coming, I'm thinking it'll probably get a proper release next year, so I might leave it.

The Miles Davis & Herbie Hancock I'm going to leave because they're on Get on Down. I bought the Herbie Hancock on get on down last record store day and it's an awful pressing, unlistenable. For that sort of money I want to trust in a good pressing.

I'm going to have to pass on Thad Jones, if it was £40 I'd jump on it.

I'm definitely interested in the Chet Baker, but have to say I've not listened to any of his albums yet, that could be a new rabbit hole if I really like it. I'm going to have stream it.

I'll be all after Comet is Coming if this is an RSD exclusive and not a RSD first press. I am waiting for the list of records Balades Sonores will have in Paris and will try to visit them on that day. I don't remember any BIG BFRSD release that I consider like a must-have.

I suspect it'll be released again next year.

Back