Jazz

Some great titles!

Best reissue of 2024 for me. Case closed.

Best reissue of 2024 for me. Case closed.

bundle available too!

Might just get the bundle just to be safe - the Joe Henderson will be the more popular title, but seems people hade a tough time tracking down Blackstone Legacy in the initial release.
I pre-ordered these 2 titles from Deep Discount today and with DEEP10 coupon my total was roughly $4 cheaper than the Jazz Dispensary site plus free shipping.

MAX ROACH CENTENNIAL BIRTHDAY BROADCAST​

Max Roach Centennial Birthday Broadcast

TUESDAY, JANUARY 9, 2024 - 6:00PM TO WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 10, 2024 - 11:59PM
WKCR announces a special broadcast for the centennial birthday of American drummer and composer Max Roach, broadcast on FM and HD radio and online for 30 hours from 6 pm on Tuesday, January 9 until midnight on Wednesday, January 10, 2024. The broadcast will run from the beginning of Jazz Alternatives on Tuesday until Som De Brasil at 12:00 am on Thursday. The broadcast will preempt our regularly-scheduled Tuesday shows airing after 6 pm and will preempt all regularly-scheduled Wednesday shows.
Max Roach was an American jazz drummer and composer who is considered one of the pioneers of bebop and modern jazz. He began his career in the 1940s and quickly gained recognition as a talented musician, collaborating with notable artists such as Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, and Miles Davis. Roach went on to lead his own groups and record numerous albums as a bandleader, showcasing his innovative approach to drumming and composition. He also explored other musical styles, including classical music and fusion, and became known for his activism and social justice advocacy. Roach continued to perform and record until his death in 2007, leaving behind a legacy as a leading figure in the history of jazz and one of the most influential drummers of all time.

Well this is really exciting. For the past few years, I have been really focusing my listening time on British jazz. It's an area that I was totally oblivious to for years but find the talent, local connection, and music to be so incredible. I dont usually aim to "complete" discographies of musicians but when it comes to British jazz there seems to be very little that I dont enjoy so I have been working my way through a few of them. I have 95% of Tubby Hayes' (all of the Jazz Messengers), all of Michael Garrick's, all of Joe Harriott's, and as of today all of Don Rendell's. Rendell was such a big driving force in UK jazz and he almost always stuck to the kind of music that he was comfortable with.

The last album of his that I needed is one that I used to see regularly for just a few quid, but in recent years its become sought after and rarely pops up for sale. I put an order in for a copy before Christmas on Discogs and after weeks of back and forth, the seller cancelled without any justification. Fortunately, I was chatting to someone on Instagram (one of the founders of the BBE J-Jazz series) and it turned out he had a copy that he was looking to get rid of, so here it is!

IMG_7617.JPG
IMG_7626.jpg
IMG_7629.jpg

Well this is really exciting. For the past few years, I have been really focusing my listening time on British jazz. It's an area that I was totally oblivious to for years but find the talent, local connection, and music to be so incredible. I dont usually aim to "complete" discographies of musicians but when it comes to British jazz there seems to be very little that I dont enjoy so I have been working my way through a few of them. I have 95% of Tubby Hayes' (all of the Jazz Messengers), all of Michael Garrick's, all of Joe Harriott's, and as of today all of Don Rendell's. Rendell was such a big driving force in UK jazz and he almost always stuck to the kind of music that he was comfortable with.

The last album of his that I needed is one that I used to see regularly for just a few quid, but in recent years its become sought after and rarely pops up for sale. I put an order in for a copy before Christmas on Discogs and after weeks of back and forth, the seller cancelled without any justification. Fortunately, I was chatting to someone on Instagram (one of the founders of the BBE J-Jazz series) and it turned out he had a copy that he was looking to get rid of, so here it is!

View attachment 192488
View attachment 192491
View attachment 192492
Wow. Awesome! Happy listening. 🍻

I just got a feedback. They say they do not have a single replacement copy and so won't replace any record. Instead they sent a refund...

Bummer²
Depending on how bad the warps are, I'm sure some record store near you might have a flattener. Some here have them and charge a nominal fee to flatten records. Considering you now got them for free, might be worth a shot!

Back