Jazz

The expense and extra costs for crossing borders sure sucks, but getting from Germany to Vancouver Island in only 2 days is definitely the one good thing about FedEx.

View attachment 184598

Looking very forward to getting the wife and kids off to bed tonight!
yesssss! looks like it arrived nice and safely! let us know what ya think. from soundohm right?

yesssss! looks like it arrived nice and safely! let us know what ya think. from soundohm right?

I got 069/444

Doesn't look like tonight's gonna be the night to listen after all, but I did take everything out of the sleeve to take a closer look, and it is an exquisite package - a visual and tactile pleasure... except: the text on the spine is flipped which is a bothersomely severe pet peeve of mine (it will be shelved upside down as a result because I'd rather have the spine align properly!)

But hey, if that's the only complaint about the package... they've done well!

Will report back again once I've had the chance to spin it.

Morning! Picked up the new boxset last night at an incredible Pharoah Sanders tribute concert in Brooklyn. Jeff Parker, Chad Taylor, James Brandon Lewis, Joshua Abrams, and Tisziji Munoz made up the band and they were absolutely sublime to witness perform. Just a stunning and powerful show.

Check out to see if The Harvest Time Project is coming to your city and grab some tickets.

Anyways, this boxset is a great package and for $55 it feels like one of the better deals in vinyl right now? The record sounds fantastic and the box is packed with thoughtful goodies.IMG_4922.jpeg

interestingly I just picked up Bud Shank's earlier surf soundtrack Slippery When Wet as the 1990s Japanese press for equivalent $7 in NM- - very cool, cool jazz...lots of flute, which I think Bud plays rather compactly which I like....defo worth a pick up, although I haven't heard this slightly later session that Impex is reissuing, which has a more dynamic lineup of horns...anything they touch is always well done, YMMW on the titles tho...

Also, NYC winter jazz fest in NYC lineup announced.

geebus. 6 Shabaka performances including collabs with Esperanza Spaulding and Saul Williams.

Celebrating Mtume: A Journey Through Alkebu-Lan
(Land of The Blacks) — A Night at the East

Tribute to Mtume Umoja Ensemble’s revered 1972 album
featuring Gary Bartz, Billy Hart, Shabaka, Moor Mother,

- Brandee Younger Trio performing music of Alice Coltrane

- Irreversible Entanglements
- Brandee Younger Trio performing music of Alice Coltrane

• My Words Are Music: A Celebration of Sun Ra’s Poetry,

“TAKE TWO” — A Listening Experience with TYSHAWN SOREY:
Hear Max Roach’s full 1968 Atlantic album Members, Don’t Git Weary,
Plus live reinterpretation by Tyshawn Sorey feat. Adam O’Farrill, Mark Shim, Sullivan Fortner, Matt Brewer

Anyone have some favorite Vince Guaraldi albums that aren't Black Orpheus or Charlie Brown records?

I really enjoy the way he plays piano and would love to take a deeper dive into his catalogue.

One I'm really enjoying so far is this one with Bola Sete:

He has non-Charlie Brown albums?? Just teasing. I actually haven't checked out a ton of his other discography for some reason.

@Ghost i just threw on A Flower Is A Lovesome Thing and it's quite nice so far.
I'll join you there as my starting point as well. Vince is just a lot of fun to listen to, he's got a subtler and more delicate way about his piano that always feels so easy on the brain, him and Ahmad Jamal kind of share that trait for me.

I randomly picked up this live version of the album I shared above and its been on my turntable constantly, its a very pleasant listen. The pressing sounds great, its an old red vinyl OJC from the 80s.

INTERNATIONAL ANTHEM @ PUBLIC RECORDS
VOLUME 5 - JEFF PARKER

For the 5th edition of our quarterly music series at Public Records in Brooklyn, on April 15th, 2023, the legend Jeff Parker did a Brooklyn debut of the solo guitar set he’d spent the previous two years touring across the globe. It was all part of the campaign for his International Anthem & Nonesuch co-released album Forfolks – a broadly successful solo guitar collection that was recognized as one of the Top 50 Albums of 2022 by Pitchfork just a few months before this performance.

Parker stepped to the stage area (after a powerful opening set by Caroline Davis’s Alula) and proceeded to enrapture the audience inside the dense harmonic planes of his stereo amplified, textural frozen guitar soundscapes. The immersive sound created by Parker’s single string instrument (+ pedals) alone was quite impressive, and was rarely without a gorgeously lyrical, endlessly hummable melody.
International Anthem @ Public Records (Volume 5) features two recordings from this performance – the Parker original “Four Folks” and his solo guitar arrangement of the Chad Taylor composition “Mainz” – featuring artwork created for the event by Mark Rice of Goatmother Industrial. It's available now, exclusively for streaming in Hi-Res on Qobuz.
Listen in Hi-Res on Qobuz.
((( North/South America here )))
((( Everywhere Else in the World here)))

INTERNATIONAL ANTHEM @ PUBLIC RECORDS
VOLUME 5 - JEFF PARKER

For the 5th edition of our quarterly music series at Public Records in Brooklyn, on April 15th, 2023, the legend Jeff Parker did a Brooklyn debut of the solo guitar set he’d spent the previous two years touring across the globe. It was all part of the campaign for his International Anthem & Nonesuch co-released album Forfolks – a broadly successful solo guitar collection that was recognized as one of the Top 50 Albums of 2022 by Pitchfork just a few months before this performance.

Parker stepped to the stage area (after a powerful opening set by Caroline Davis’s Alula) and proceeded to enrapture the audience inside the dense harmonic planes of his stereo amplified, textural frozen guitar soundscapes. The immersive sound created by Parker’s single string instrument (+ pedals) alone was quite impressive, and was rarely without a gorgeously lyrical, endlessly hummable melody.
International Anthem @ Public Records (Volume 5) features two recordings from this performance – the Parker original “Four Folks” and his solo guitar arrangement of the Chad Taylor composition “Mainz” – featuring artwork created for the event by Mark Rice of Goatmother Industrial. It's available now, exclusively for streaming in Hi-Res on Qobuz.
Listen in Hi-Res on Qobuz.
((( North/South America here )))
((( Everywhere Else in the World here)))
Hell yeah. Int'l Anthem get it.

I'll join you there as my starting point as well. Vince is just a lot of fun to listen to, he's got a subtler and more delicate way about his piano that always feels so easy on the brain, him and Ahmad Jamal kind of share that trait for me.

I randomly picked up this live version of the album I shared above and its been on my turntable constantly, its a very pleasant listen. The pressing sounds great, its an old red vinyl OJC from the 80s.

He's got some stuff on OJCs from the 90s. I think mostly CD.
Might see some of it reissue in the new OJC series, which would be very cool.

Anyone have some favorite Vince Guaraldi albums that aren't Black Orpheus or Charlie Brown records?

I really enjoy the way he plays piano and would love to take a deeper dive into his catalogue.

One I'm really enjoying so far is this one with Bola Sete:

Guaraldi, Getz, Tjader, LaFaro, Higgins, and Duran — “Tjader-Getz Sextet”

Back