Jazz

To Cy and Lee is incredible.

I really like Mingus Plays Piano as well.

To Cy & Lee is great, it 's annoying for me a little though as it arrived scratched and no response when mailed Bandcamp. There is a new album coming out & seems to be a repress of the 'corner of a sphere'. Is corner of a sphere any good?

edit - I've not listened to either, but with a brief snippet, was think instrumental albums might be the way forward

To Cy & Lee is great, it 's annoying for me a little though as it arrived scratched and no response when mailed Bandcamp. There is a new album coming out & seems to be a repress of the 'corner of a sphere'. Is corner of a sphere any good?

edit - I've not listened to either, but with a brief snippet, was think instrumental albums might be the way forward

damn! i got mine from the international anthem bandcamp and it was fine. i didn't realize corner of a sphere had a repress. i really like it, but that one and his new album are not instrumental albums. so i have friends who love To Cy and Lee but hate the new single + corner of a sphere. both have some singing/poetry over many tracks.

The song Is It Enough off Corner of a Sphere has been a staple the past few years. Really interesting stuff

The song Is It Enough off Corner of a Sphere has been a staple the past few years. Really interesting stuff
yea i love that track. really like the whole album. but i know lots of people can be put off by the whole speak/singing thing.

Here's a fun question:

What albums do you reach for when you're in a sentimental mood (see what I did there)? Meaning: You're feeling mellow, maybe a bit contemplative, maybe a little sad, and like you need some gentle and quieter jazz that's easy on the ears and spirit?

Think: Waltz For Debby, Sunday At The Village Vanguard, Chet Baker Sings, etc etc

I ask because lately, I've been needing more of this vibe in my collection, everytime I want to unwind I look to my jazz collection just to find ALL HEATERS and I'd like to change this. Send me your recommendations friends!

Is any of the London crew going to the Binker & Moses album launch next week at Rough Trade? I'm over from work and am taking a colleague from Greece (who says she doesn't like jazz but trusts my music taste 😂). But felt like too good a chance to miss...

damn! i got mine from the international anthem bandcamp and it was fine. i didn't realize corner of a sphere had a repress. i really like it, but that one and his new album are not instrumental albums. so i have friends who love To Cy and Lee but hate the new single + corner of a sphere. both have some singing/poetry over many tracks.

I'll have to give them a listen, just a quick 2 seconds on Bandcamp & I'm on the fence. I like vocals & poetry but, not all vocals & poetry.

yea i love that track. really like the whole album. but i know lots of people can be put off by the whole speak/singing thing.
you guys are evil! There goes my want list priorities again ! 😊

Saw Immanuel Wilkins and his quartet in a tiny jazz club last night, as part of the PDX Jazz Festival. Mind blowing stuff. Immanuel started the set with a 20-minute solo, alone on stage. The band then joined for the first two tracks from Omega, one from The 7th Hand, and a couple of new compositions. Each member of the quartet (pianist Micah Thomas, bassist Daryl Johns, and drummer/percussionist Kweku Sumbry) is just ridiculously talented. They've got a few more U.S. dates before heading to Europe. Catch 'em if you can.

IMG_2212.JPG

Last edited:
Here’s a fun one (I think): I was digging through old concert tickets and, apparently, I completely forgot that I’ve saved this one since 1989 for Blue Note’s 50th anniversary concert @ Carnegie Hall.

For context, I lived in NYC the summer before my senior year of college. I waited tables for $, smoked a lot of weed, and, while doing that, spent a shit ton of time in Central Park and museums. I lived with a college bud — rent free — in his dad’s studio Pied-à-terre on Park. Ave @ 87th (extremely high rent district).

I knew nothing about jazz except GRP so, I knew nothing about jazz. But I had wealthy NYC relatives who did, and they invited me to this show and dinner at the Russian Tea Room. I had heard of Stanley Jordan but none of the others (Tony Williams Quintet; Dianne Reeves; Elaine Elias). Of course, $30 is dirt cheap for a show like this now, but it was the most expensive ticket level!

For further context of what I was into back then, the other notable shows I went to that summer were Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman & Howe at Jones Beach Amph and a very early Blues Traveller show at the legendary Wetlands, way downtown. I was way into prog and was particularly obsessed w/ Bill Bruford, mostly for his finesse for a rock drummer and ability to play in textured, odd time. Needless to say, I was blown away by Tony Williams and he’s easily my favorite jazz drummer now.

E5371930-1093-4E03-9129-3FE87E6A3195.jpeg

The Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio (DLO3) Probably deserves some love in this thread. A little more funk/Memphis infused than most other jazz organ groups. Here is some info cross posted from me in another thread. Feel free to join in

Here are a couple DLO3 I just got from Paladin on vinyl.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_409.jpg

Live KEXP set from 2017

Here is a live from home 2-21 show they did I really like

Last edited:
The Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio (DLO3) Probably desrves some love in this thread. A little more funk/memphis infused than most other jazz organ groups. Here is some info cross posted from me in another thread. Feel free to join in

Here are a couple DLO3 I just got from Paladin on vinyl.
View attachment 130085

Live KEXP set from 2017

Here is a live from home 2-21 show they did I really like

DLO3 has yet to put out an album that isn't worth owning!

Saw Brandee Younger & Dezron Douglas play tonight, the first time they have performed as a duo in front of live audience. Hard to believe, but that’s what a pandemic will do.

In any case, incredible performance...two sets featuring many tracks from Force Majeure, a couple Alice Coltrane, a Dorothy Ashby tune, and a few others mixed in.

I spoke with both of them after the show. Dezron mentioned that his quartet has a new release coming out on International Anthem, likely in October. 🤞

IMG_2226.JPG

Last edited:
Here's a fun question:

What albums do you reach for when you're in a sentimental mood (see what I did there)? Meaning: You're feeling mellow, maybe a bit contemplative, maybe a little sad, and like you need some gentle and quieter jazz that's easy on the ears and spirit?

Think: Waltz For Debby, Sunday At The Village Vanguard, Chet Baker Sings, etc etc

I ask because lately, I've been needing more of this vibe in my collection, everytime I want to unwind I look to my jazz collection just to find ALL HEATERS and I'd like to change this. Send me your recommendations friends!
Also should add lots of Joe Pass albums to this list. Most of his Virtuoso albums on Pablo Records can be had for cheap and are great listens. I like Virtuoso 2 a lot. the first one in that series is great isn't as cheap. I feel like I regularly see his stuff on Pablo for under $10 in the wild.

this album also rules but is hard to find:

Back