Jazz

The stereo has been planned for a while, I have it on preorder. I was wondering if I should try and pick up the mono and cancel the preorder. I don't know if one is preferred over the other.
oh right. forgot about that. looks like both are done by Bernie and AAA.

I believe Contemporary ran simultaneous mono and stereo until 1958 and that Pepper was released in 1957. Monos after that may have been fold-downs, but not 100% sure. As for which will "sound better"? no clue. i haven't heard a true mono pressing of it. True mono pressings of it always seem to be way more expensive though and harder to find for that album.

my guess is they will do a stereo version as a wider release for the rumored contemporary records series (wouldn't be shocked if they did an art pepper box similar to the ornette coleman box). i think it'll just come down to preference for stereo vs mono. I have the OJC (which has largely seemed to have disappeared online new anywhere) which is great but stereo.
I would choose stereo tbh, but might try mono for the price

I would choose stereo tbh, but might try mono for the price
Spinning my stereo OJC now. It sounds good. But Pepper is panned pretty hard over to one side (I'd say 80-90% panned) and Red Garland is panned pretty hard to the other side. Would be curious to see if Bernie sticks with that for the stereo reissue.

Does anyone know if/why the Pepper Adams RSD release on Reel To Real is US only?

I have managed to get all of the releases on the label to date (they are all fantastic) and would love to get this one, Adams is incredible. I have searched a few record shops online (which already have RSD items as pre-orders) and cant find it anywhere, including the UK RSD site.

Pepper-Adams-Cover.jpeg

Here's a fun question:

What albums do you reach for when you're in a sentimental mood (see what I did there)? Meaning: You're feeling mellow, maybe a bit contemplative, maybe a little sad, and like you need some gentle and quieter jazz that's easy on the ears and spirit?

Think: Waltz For Debby, Sunday At The Village Vanguard, Chet Baker Sings, etc etc

I ask because lately, I've been needing more of this vibe in my collection, everytime I want to unwind I look to my jazz collection just to find ALL HEATERS and I'd like to change this. Send me your recommendations friends!

Johnny Hartman’s I Just Stopped By To Say Hello on the original Impulse! label, Illinois Jacquet on tenor. Bring your brandy, cigar and slippers. Evening jacket optional.
The JH x Coltrane album has been my first exposure to JH and I was hooked, such an epic collaboration between the two. Just qeued this album up, thanks!

A few jazz and quasi-jazz that come to mind that have been reliable in last year or two: Pharoah Sanders/Floating Points ”Promises”; Lateef ”Eastern Sounds”; Getz/Gilberto; Jazz Samba. Nik Bartsch‘s Mobile “Continuum” functions this way for me.

I don’t have any of these on vinyl, but Keith Jarrett Koln Concert, Sun Bear Concerts, and The Melody at Night with You

Ernie Andrews passed today. RIP. Familiarize yourself with him if you aren’t. A great vocalist with such a beautiful personality so grab any of his albums you run across. You won’t be disappointed.

Here's a fun question:

What albums do you reach for when you're in a sentimental mood (see what I did there)? Meaning: You're feeling mellow, maybe a bit contemplative, maybe a little sad, and like you need some gentle and quieter jazz that's easy on the ears and spirit?

Think: Waltz For Debby, Sunday At The Village Vanguard, Chet Baker Sings, etc etc

I ask because lately, I've been needing more of this vibe in my collection, everytime I want to unwind I look to my jazz collection just to find ALL HEATERS and I'd like to change this. Send me your recommendations friends!
In addition to some of the fine titles already suggested, I would add:

Blossom Dearie
Jobim - Wave
Miles - KoB
Miles - Ascenseur Pour L'échafaud
Ryo Fukui - Scenery
Frank Sinatra - Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim

And I’d just add my love for Pharoah Sanders/Floating Points - Promises

Last edited:
Here's a fun question:

For me, lately, Ahmad Jamal at the Pershing (Ahmad Jamal Trio) has been serving this purpose without fail.

Here's a fun question:

Coltrane's "Giant Steps" and Ayler's "Something Different!" do it for me.

Only Joking.

The ones already listed are great suggestions and I would also add a modern example with Alabaster DePlume's "For Cy And Lee: Instrumentals Vol. 1". Its the definition of a beautiful album in my opinion.

Coltrane's "Giant Steps" and Ayler's "Something Different!" do it for me.

Only Joking.

The ones already listed are great suggestions and I would also add a modern example with Alabaster DePlume's "For Cy And Lee: Instrumentals Vol. 1". Its the definition of a beautiful album in my opinion.
To Cy and Lee is incredible.

I really like Mingus Plays Piano as well.

It's not that 'reasonable' but good for the UK & Europe
Oh its not that bad comparatively, almost spot on. It was $148 inc shipping and fees from the US which is google tells me is around £109, pretty much the exact same as JazzMessengers (assuming shipping is included).

Back