Jazz

Maybe this has been shared here before, but the New Yorker has a nice article on Hasaan Ibn Ali. I really hope they get around to releasing "Retrospect In Retirement Of Delay: The Solo Recordings" on vinyl, mabye a Black Friday release could be on the cards?

Quite an interesting quote from Max Roach as well - "I have hours of him playing solo piano that’s unbelievable.”

Maybe this has been shared here before, but the New Yorker has a nice article on Hasaan Ibn Ali. I really hope they get around to releasing "Retrospect In Retirement Of Delay: The Solo Recordings" on vinyl, mabye a Black Friday release could be on the cards?

Quite an interesting quote from Max Roach as well - "I have hours of him playing solo piano that’s unbelievable.”
This article and my subsequent search on Apple Music for Hasaan Ibn Ali’s solo recordings have made my morning a little more bearable. Thank you!

This article and my subsequent search on Apple Music for Hasaan Ibn Ali’s solo recordings have made my morning a little more bearable. Thank you!
Fantastic! He's a really interesting musician. I love his playing on the Max Roach release, kind of Monkish?, and the Metaphysics delve even deeper.

Jothan Callins & The Sounds Of Togetherness – "Winds Of Change" for Strata-East fans, to be released on Portuguese reissues label Mad About Records. On the first song right now, you should give a try!

Rare Spiritual Jazz funk Masterpiece reissue for the first time ever Worldwide with the original 4 page booklet

“Winds of Change” is generally compared to the Strata East style of jazz

Jothan Callins had played with Olatunji in the late 1960s, he both joined The Sun Ra Arkestra and founded his own Sounds of Togetherness. The incarnation of the band featured on this 1975 New York recording includes Cecil McBee, Norman Connors, Joseph Bonner, and Roland Duval.

Released as a one and done on Triumph Records, there is a little information about Callins and almost nothing about the sessions. Born in Birmingham, Alabama, Callins played with a long list of luminaries, was an educator and obtained his Masters degree at the University of Pittsburgh (where Nathan Davis directed the jazz studies program). He established the Birmingham Youth Jazz Ensemble (BYJE) in addition to becoming the first Jazz Artist in Residence in the Birmingham Public Schools. At the time this record was released, Callins was teaching in NYC.

Under exclusive licence from Amadi Aziliwe

Jothan Callins & The Sounds Of Togetherness – "Winds Of Change" for Strata-East fans, to be released on Portuguese reissues label Mad About Records. On the first song right now, you should give a try!

Rare Spiritual Jazz funk Masterpiece reissue for the first time ever Worldwide with the original 4 page booklet

Jothan Callins had played with Olatunji in the late 1960s, he both joined The Sun Ra Arkestra and founded his own Sounds of Togetherness. The incarnation of the band featured on this 1975 New York recording includes Cecil McBee, Norman Connors, Joseph Bonner, and Roland Duval.

Released as a one and done on Triumph Records, there is a little information about Callins and almost nothing about the sessions. Born in Birmingham, Alabama, Callins played with a long list of luminaries, was an educator and obtained his Masters degree at the University of Pittsburgh (where Nathan Davis directed the jazz studies program). He established the Birmingham Youth Jazz Ensemble (BYJE) in addition to becoming the first Jazz Artist in Residence in the Birmingham Public Schools. At the time this record was released, Callins was teaching in NYC.

Jothan contributed a great deal to our Birmingham community. This is a beautiful album and a much welcome reissue, a must for any Sun Ra Arkestra fan.

There is something charming about Monk’s “sloppy” technique.
It’s the best part of his playing. It was very deliberate on his part, the way he stripped away elements from each song to express his singular chord progressions.

Great interview by a biographer of his.

Yeah, I don't think it's sloppy technique, I think it's astonishing

By all means it was intentional and if you ever played an instrument it’s hard as hell to sound that way when you’ve been trained to sound differently. Plus the pure imagination to say fuck that straight shit, I’m going to play like Im a bunch of preschoolers finger painting.

Jothan contributed a great deal to our Birmingham community. This is a beautiful album and a much welcome reissue, a must for any Sun Ra Arkestra fan.

This is friggin' fabulous!

Im loving all of this Monk chat.

I thoroughly recommend the fantastic book, Thelonious Monk: The Life and Times of an American by Robin D G Kelley. Its a behemoth tome that leaves no stone unturned and really brings to light just how impactful and important of a musician he is. I had a span of over a month where I practically only listened to Monk's music whilst also reading this and it was a fantastic time.

For five decades, Harold Budd stood on the forefront of the West Coast avant-garde. The Pavilion Of Dreams – produced by Brian Eno and released on his Obscure imprint in 1978 – features saxophonist Marion Brown and multi-instrumentalists Gavin Bryars and Michael Nyman and remains a master class in exquisite timbre and shimmering texture.

I just been listening to the two Palo Alto recordings myself.

The Monk Straight No Chaser Documentary is pretty good full vid here.

and this one is ok.

I was debating as to whether I should pick up the RSD Palo Alto release - it's on sale at Sister Ray currently. I've streamed it once, and then in doing so Qobuz rolled into some Coleman Hawkins and since then I've been completely sidetracked. It's a shame all the Coleman AP's are out of press at the moment.

Back