Jazz

Saw some more details about the Gerry Mulligan Night Lights KG reissue coming out. Reads as if it might be digital source but that doesn’t bother me a ton since boom boom is at the helm.

• Printed & Pressed at Pallas on 180 gram vinyl and housed in a deluxe reverse-board jacket.
  • Mastered from the original analog tape transfers by Kevin Gray
  • 12” insert featuring rare photographs and words from Bill Crow
  • Includes rare bonus track ’Night Lights - 1965 Version’
  • Officially licensed from Phillips / UMG with thanks to the Mulligan Estate
A bit confused about the release date? I think it’s out already but also heard release got pushed back. Anybody happen to get a copy yet?

I have a copy, fantastic package, really well done. I haven't given it a a clean yet but gave it a quick spin and sounds pretty great. I was looking for more info on the label, but couldn't see much. Where did you see it was digital? did they have any info on future releases?

Screenshot 2021-12-06 at 14.03.13.png

edit - noticed you had the 'original tape transfer' from the hype. But if you see any details on future titles I'm definitely interested

Saw some more details about the Gerry Mulligan Night Lights KG reissue coming out. Reads as if it might be digital source but that doesn’t bother me a ton since boom boom is at the helm.

• Printed & Pressed at Pallas on 180 gram vinyl and housed in a deluxe reverse-board jacket.
  • Mastered from the original analog tape transfers by Kevin Gray
  • 12” insert featuring rare photographs and words from Bill Crow
  • Includes rare bonus track ’Night Lights - 1965 Version’
  • Officially licensed from Phillips / UMG with thanks to the Mulligan Estate
A bit confused about the release date? I think it’s out already but also heard release got pushed back. Anybody happen to get a copy yet?

I have a copy, fantastic package, really well done. I haven't given it a a clean yet but gave it a quick spin and sounds pretty great. I was looking for more info on the label, but couldn't see much. Where did you see it was digital? did they have any info on future releases?

View attachment 120412

edit - noticed you had the 'original tape transfer' from the hype. But if you see any details on future titles I'm definitely interested
Cheers for sharing this guys, I was meaning to look into this.

Am I right in thinking it's a new label that Kevin Gray has set up? @Andy do you mind sharing how much you got this for, I'm certainly interested now you have given it a good review.

Am I right in thinking it's a new label that Kevin Gray has set up? @Andy do you mind sharing how much you got this for, I'm certainly interested now you have given it a good review.
It seems to be EUR 29.99 at JPC. And it's $30 in the US I believe.

Wonder if it is KG's label...that's a good point. He did mention he was starting a label.

@Andy -- digital was a guess based on that hype sticker. "analog tape transfers" kinda sounds like it may be from a digital transfer from the master tapes. I haven't seen any other titles yet announced from the label.

I really don't get many records from there these days, but got it from Amazon for £23. Just looking at the price and see it's selling for a bit more than that now.

Interested to hear it's been setup by KG, I couldn't find much bout them.

@Andy -- digital was a guess based on that hype sticker. "analog tape transfers" kinda sounds like it may be from a digital transfer from the master tapes. I haven't seen any other titles yet announced from the label.

I think it is digital but still sounds good. I'm sure if it's Boom Boom's label he'll do AAA where he can

I don't think it will be KG's label, unless anyone has info to the contrary? I think it's a UK label, which would be strange for KG to set up in the UK
good point haha. and as much as i love jazz, i kinda hope KG does more of a rock-oriented label. there's so much jazz out there now and we need more labels similar to Intervention that aren't putting out the same tired rock recordings.

I don't think it will be KG's label, unless anyone has info to the contrary? I think it's a UK label, which would be strange for KG to set up in the UK
Ah that is interesting. I read somewhere that New Land was Kevin Gray's label but I agree, why would it be in the UK if that's the case?

How the hell KG finds the time to do anything anymore is beyond me.

Thought I would share a few jazz bits from over the weekend which might interest some of you.

Firstly, I bought a few interesting cigarette cards from the 90's that depict jazz 'legends'. Most are US musicians but there is also a sheet of British jazz musicians too (I shared these on the Fresh Grabs).

IMG_1514.jpg

Secondly, I bought a new Kallax unit yesterday and opened up the remaining boxes of tapes that have been stored away until now. For those that didn't see my post last year (the year before?), I bought several hundred tapes from the estate of a local jazz journalist that was close friends with Ronnie Scott and Pete King. Scott and King would allow this journalist to hook up his tape machine to the mics and the result is years worth of live recordings which in many cases have never been released commercially. I have been documenting/transferring these on and off for a while now. Here are the ones from the other boxes that I haven't yet heard but specifically caught my attention.

IMG_1559.jpg

Thought I would share a few jazz bits from over the weekend which might interest some of you.

Firstly, I bought a few interesting cigarette cards from the 90's that depict jazz 'legends'. Most are US musicians but there is also a sheet of British jazz musicians too (I shared these on the Fresh Grabs).

View attachment 120434

Secondly, I bought a new Kallax unit yesterday and opened up the remaining boxes of tapes that have been stored away until now. For those that didn't see my post last year (the year before?), I bought several hundred tapes from the estate of a local jazz journalist that was close friends with Ronnie Scott and Pete King. Scott and King would allow this journalist to hook up his tape machine to the mics and the result is years worth of live recordings which in many cases have never been released commercially. I have been documenting/transferring these on and off for a while now. Here are the ones from the other boxes that I haven't yet heard but specifically caught my attention.

View attachment 120433
All very cool! Are you aware of the recordings available on this website? The David W. Niven Collection of Early Jazz Legends, 1921-1991 : Free Audio : Free Download, Borrow and Streaming : Internet Archive Hard to imagine you wouldn't be, but ya never know! (Hell, the way things work around here, I probably learned of this from you! haha)

All very cool! Are you aware of the recordings available on this website? The David W. Niven Collection of Early Jazz Legends, 1921-1991 : Free Audio : Free Download, Borrow and Streaming : Internet Archive Hard to imagine you wouldn't be, but ya never know! (Hell, the way things work around here, I probably learned of this from you! haha)
Woooow, no I wasnt! Thanks so much for sharing this!

This is amazing, it's similar to what I have been doing on my laptop, taking photos of each cassette, transferring them to digital, and filing them in their own folder. The last count was around the 150 mark and I have barely scratched the surface. The transfer process happens in real-time so to digitize one hour-long cassette I transfer for an hour, then listen for another hour+ whilst jotting notes in a word doc (a lot of the tapes have little actual info other than the year and artist). In some cases they dont have any information at all (black labels) or just initials such as F.H (Freddie Hubbard), D.R (Don Rendell), E.J (Elvin Jones), etc.

Woooow, no I wasnt! Thanks so much for sharing this!

This is amazing, it's similar to what I have been doing on my laptop, taking photos of each cassette, transferring them to digital, and filing them in their own folder. The last count was around the 150 mark and I have barely scratched the surface. The transfer process happens in real-time so to digitize one hour-long cassette I transfer for an hour, then listen for another hour+ whilst jotting notes in a word doc (a lot of the tapes have little actual info other than the year and artist). In some cases they dont have any information at all (black labels) or just initials such as F.H (Freddie Hubbard), D.R (Don Rendell), E.J (Elvin Jones), etc.
Sounds like a very intense labor of love. ❤️ And I suppose that David W. Niven Collection can provide some motivation because the magnitude of the payoff is off the charts!

Brit Jazz back in stock in the U.S.
Oddly enough (but not too surprising), you can do better than this ordering from jpc.de, where it would be just under 36 Euros shipped to the US.

Speaking of Parker, I wasn't familiar with this album but it has made many top 2021 lists, and based on what I listened to online, it's worthy:

It's fantastic, I picked up a copy earlier this year. Pretty sure they have already re-pressed it, and with all of the delays on the horizion, I would grab a copy soon - before this press is gone.

EDIT: yes, Bandcamp indicates that this is the second edition of 500, and I think that has been up for months. With this album making best-of end of year lists (NYT has it #3 on their jazz list), I would expect remaining copies to go quickly.

Last edited:
Oddly enough (but not too surprising), you can do better than this ordering from jpc.de, where it would be just under 36 Euros shipped to the US.

Thanks Russ, I like to support Dusty Grooves and them continuing to bring this line over in the future, but thats about $15-16 cheaper with shipping. hmmmm

Has anyone tried and successfully pre-ordered Jackie McLean’s Destination Out from uDiscover? I’ve already tried three times and my order keeps getting cancelled immediately after it’s placed. I’ve used different payment methods, but this keeps happening.

I’m wondering if the 30% site wide discount doesn’t apply to pre-orders? If that’s the case, it seems dumb that their system allows me to pay the discounted price, only to then immediately send me a cancellation email right after the order has been placed.

Back