Jazz

It's been the longest day, just finished, put some food in the oven & started spinning this. Needs a clean but loving it so far. This'll get repeated spins for sure.
Its certainly been a great week for new jazz releases. First I had a couple of new releases from Muriel Grossmann and now this recently 'discovered' session from Graham Collier (which features Harry Beckett on trumpet).

View attachment 117124
very interesting, definitely hear some Gil Evans, Oliver Nelson, Creed Taylor vibes

Banquet are listing it for £25, Rough Trade are completely trying it on.

I have seen it at a few other places for £100 as well, so maybe it's just a placeholder or something.

I really want to get this one! Seems to be UK only which is a shame.

I have seen it at a few other places for £100 as well, so maybe it's just a placeholder or something.

I really want to get this one! Seems to be UK only which is a shame.

With the mount for sale it won't be a problem. I likely won't buy on the day, but when I see a place that's selling it for a reasonable price I'll ping you.

Banquet are listing it for £25, Rough Trade are completely trying it on.

This is going to go in an instant. Man, I wish they pressed more of this kind of stuff.

Struck gold at Reckless Records in London earlier today. They tend to price the rarer stuff quite high (in some cases ridiculously so) but when it comes to more recent releases I have had quite a bit of success, including picking up the Duke Pearson Wallen Bink release for £15 a few years ago.

Anyway, I popped in for the first time since the pandemic today and found these 2 Nat Birchall releases that have been long out of print and which seems to sell for silly money online. I was kicking myself for not getting them when they first came out but was thrilled to be able to get these for a reasonable amount.

IMG_0425.JPG

Cosmic Language was the first Nat album I bought, love it !
Struck gold at Reckless Records in London earlier today. They tend to price the rarer stuff quite high (in some cases ridiculously so) but when it comes to more recent releases I have had quite a bit of success, including picking up the Duke Pearson Wallen Bink release for £15 a few years ago.

Anyway, I popped in for the first time since the pandemic today and found these 2 Nat Birchall releases that have been long out of print and which seems to sell for silly money online. I was kicking myself for not getting them when they first came out but was thrilled to be able to get these for a reasonable amount.

View attachment 117249

7300 UK only copies are gonna go in an instant? I’m not so sure…
Banquet only ever stocks a handful of each RSD item because they can’t obtain the same levels of stock as the bigger sites/stores and through the pandemic they have stuck to online only. If there wasn’t a limit to them or is there was a much higher number pressed then this wouldn’t be an issue. During the last RSD events you literally had to keep refreshing on the lead up to them being available and even then they sold out of a lot of titles within the first few minutes. Bill Evans titles are always super hot on RSD and I can’t see this one being any different for them really especially if they currently have it listed a lot lower than other places.

Did anyone pony up $500 for this?

Banquet only ever stocks a handful of each RSD item because they can’t obtain the same levels of stock as the bigger sites/stores and through the pandemic they have stuck to online only. If there wasn’t a limit to them or is there was a much higher number pressed then this wouldn’t be an issue. During the last RSD events you literally had to keep refreshing on the lead up to them being available and even then they sold out of a lot of titles within the first few minutes. Bill Evans titles are always super hot on RSD and I can’t see this one being any different for them really especially if they currently have it listed a lot lower than other places.
Oh i think it will be sold out at banquet quickly. But I don’t think the release itself is going to sell out that quickly overall since it’s a UK only release and 7300 copies. Also the price elsewhere has to be wrong. There’s no way this is selling for £100+ unless it’s a surprise one step or something. If it’s £100 it’s definitely still gonna be there for awhile. I think you can still find some of the previous Bill Evans RSD titles at cost in some places. It’s a lesser known title of his too.

RIP Lloyd McNeill.

I shared these over on the Fresh Grabs and I'm so happy with them that I thought I would share it here as well! I have been after these for ages and lucked out on all of them within the space of a week! They are all first pressings with the Joe Harriott being the US promo/white label pressing. I'm going to dig into these properly later and can't wait!

IMG_0487.jpg

Did anyone pony up $500 for this?

looked into these Lost Recordings jazz pressings a bit more. Just saw 45RPM did a review of some of them and he raves about them. it seems that some of the newer ones have been plated at QRP and cut by KG (pressed at Optimal I believe). Looks like Sarah Vaughan and Emil Gilels are KG cuts. Others seem to be cut by André Perriat. AS is starting to sell them now for $60 instead of the higher prices at the direct site but some are backordered. Figured they may be of interest to some here!

looked into these Lost Recordings jazz pressings a bit more. Just saw 45RPM did a review of some of them and he raves about them. it seems that some of the newer ones have been plated at QRP and cut by KG (pressed at Optimal I believe). Looks like Sarah Vaughan and Emil Gilels are KG cuts. Others seem to be cut by André Perriat. AS is starting to sell them now for $60 instead of the higher prices at the direct site but some are backordered. Figured they may be of interest to some here!
Hey, shouldn't you be cleaning records by now?! ;)

EDIT: Just saw your post in the Humminguru thread....bummer! Hope you get it today.

Does anyone here own the Miles Davis Bootleg Series Vol. 2? One of my locals has it at a decent price, and I have always been interested in it due to the amazing lineup (The lost quintet with Corea, Holland and DeJohnette). Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be on streaming services, so I have never been able to sample it, and get a taste of the music and recording quality.

Anyone here would care to comment on that? Is it worth it? What kind of performances should I expect? Where would you place it in the Miles Davis canon?

Last edited:
Back