Jazz

Anyone here ever gotten into these Definitive Black & Blue Sessions btw ? Quite few gems including this one.

3448961089028.jpg

So, I'll readily rant that I hate the "ECM sound". Their combination of digital recording AND ludicrous amounts of post-production reverb drive me batty. This is so much the case that I've gotten rid of several ECM albums that had good music on them because I just couldn't abide the audio production. Anyhow... Cut to a new recording by Vijay Iyer, with Tyshawn Sorey and Linda May Han Oh, called "UNEASY". I'm tempted to get the album on vinyl, but I'm worried I'll just be bummed by the sound again. That being said, I found a clip of one of the songs from this album on YouTube and it doesn't sound half bad. Do you think this YouTube clip is a REAL reflection of the album, or some special promotional video release that has different sound production?

Here's a link to the "UNEASY" album on the ECM site: ECM Records

The video:

Well that clip is a live performance so weather that is of the actual track that is on the album, who knows ?
So, I'll readily rant that I hate the "ECM sound". Their combination of digital recording AND ludicrous amounts of post-production reverb drive me batty. This is so much the case that I've gotten rid of several ECM albums that had good music on them because I just couldn't abide the audio production. Anyhow... Cut to a new recording by Vijay Iyer, with Tyshawn Sorey and Linda May Han Oh, called "UNEASY". I'm tempted to get the album on vinyl, but I'm worried I'll just be bummed by the sound again. That being said, I found a clip of one of the songs from this album on YouTube and it doesn't sound half bad. Do you think this YouTube clip is a REAL reflection of the album, or some special promotional video release that has different sound production?

The video:

Thanks to @kafunis and @hatfieldpdx for recommending that Natural Information Society album. It’s really cool. Pressing is also fantastic (KG x RTI). It’s about 75 min long but it flies by. Has a very meditative quality to it. Not as laid back at all as the Pharoah Sanders/ Floating points album but has a similar effect on me of getting lost in the music.

If anybody is interested in it, there seem to be a handful of copies on discogs. Seems sold out most other places.

Thanks to @kafunis and @hatfieldpdx for recommending that Natural Information Society album. It’s really cool. Pressing is also fantastic (KG x RTI). It’s about 75 min long but it flies by. Has a very meditative quality to it. Not as laid back at all as the Pharoah Sanders/ Floating points album but has a similar effect on me of getting lost in the music.

If anybody is interested in it, there seem to be a handful of copies on discogs. Seems sold out most other places.
I need to slow my roll on new purchases, so I’m going to hold off buying the vinyl, but I agree on the quality of that release. Really good.

Did you get the vinyl or are ya streaming it? It’s on my streaming list to check out soon.
I ordered a Spotify exclusive, I believe. It was delayed. So I'm streaming it on Spotify, ha ha. I like the album. It'll definitely sound so much better on vinyl than that crappy stream. Was thinking about canceling the preorder and just buying a copy local, getting antsy to own it.

The video:

I need to listen to more Vijay

Back