Jazz

Hey guys, just another shout out for this album , well worth a listen, The US Vinyl is cut by Kev G and pressed at RTI, it really is a special album, you can listen on Bc on this review that I've included. The Only downside to the vinyl is that it interrupt's the flow as this is a continuous 74 minute track, This is Sort of like a more up tempo In A Silent Way. . . maybe. As one reviewer summed up. . transcendental, fascinating and timeless .
Seems like the vinyl might be out of print sadly. Seeing if I can track down a copy

I think Kenny Dorham’s Matador is an underrated gem. I saw that Impex released this on SACD and was hoping that meant vinyl is forthcoming, and it looks like that’s the case based on this post from Stoughton a few weeks ago. Assuming source is same as SACD, it’s Bellman/AAA from original tapes.
[sorry if this was already posted; I didn’t see it]

757A5695-0C4D-4DB2-BE35-9766E6448B72.jpeg

damn. maybe i should have backordered this before the price got jacked up....

@zdkaiser didn't you preorder it at the old $600 price?
Yeah, I did preorder it at $600. I guess they are just going to up the price $300 and ignore the people thatve been on the waitlist for YEARS!

Guess I'll call them up tomorrow and listen to their bullshit explanation.

Edit: it's still backordered, even though you can add it to your cart. I originally thought it was shipping at the $900 mark.

Yeah, I did preorder it at $600. I guess they are just going to up the price $300 and ignore the people thatve been on the waitlist for YEARS!

Guess I'll call them up tomorrow and listen to their bullshit explanation.

Edit: it's still backordered, even though you can add it to your cart. I originally thought it was shipping at the $900 mark.
If you preordered it you should be locked into the old price. I looked a few weeks ago and it was at $600 so they might have raised it with the AP price hikes

Damn. I did consider pre-ordering the Bill Evans box but thought it might be 5 years before it got pressed.

Just to contradict all the chat about Adele's release. Elemental have re-issued a Barney Wilen double, mastered from the original tapes for half the price.

@Selaws thought you might be interested, works out at about £15.30 with free shipping if you spend 30 euros

Damn. I did consider pre-ordering the Bill Evans box but thought it might be 5 years before it got pressed.

Just to contradict all the chat about Adele's release. Elemental have re-issued a Barney Wilen double, mastered from the original tapes for half the price.

@Selaws thought you might be interested, works out at about £15.30 with free shipping if you spend 30 euros

Oh man now THATS a fantastic price. I have seen them tease this quite a bit lately on Instagram and it certainly caught my attention. Definitely going to look into it, thanks for the tag.

cross post from the VMP exclusives thread but thought y'all would be intersted in this:

For those wondering about the album art change for Claudia Thompson:
85c67afe-3b1c-1a71-87a4-fa07287e918a.jpg

This is a 1958, early stereo marvel of a vocal jazz record. The woman has a smooth and smoky voice that created a lot of mystery over the years. It has a darkness and sort of sadness to it too. But no one knew anything about Claudia beyond the original cover photo (below) and the somewhat sterile liners.

c07faec7-6e73-1139-fc3d-93bd2967953f.png
Goodbye to Love (2016 cover)

We reissued it in 2016. A few years after that, a person posted a story online about someone buying a bunch of film negatives at Salvation Army and wanting to find the subject of those images. It even got national news coverage. It turned out that those photos were the outtakes from the original Edison International Claudia Thompson - Goodbye to Love album cover photoshoot (but wait it gets better).

19ea9e38-1c7f-6856-ea59-02562925fac7.jpg

That same year, an individual purchased an original copy of the Claudia Thompson album that had an autographed photo inside. It was an 8x10 of Claudia who in reality is a woman of color and not the white woman on the cover. It turns out, in with the original negatives were essentially alternates of the cover art with the real Claudia Thompson on the cover! We’ve updated the cover to correct the white-washing of 1958, finally putting Claudia’s photo on her own album.

This is from the Sundazed newsletter. That's why the album art changed! Pretty cool.

cross post from the VMP exclusives thread but thought y'all would be intersted in this:

This is a 1958, early stereo marvel of a vocal jazz record. The woman has a smooth and smoky voice that created a lot of mystery over the years. It has a darkness and sort of sadness to it too. But no one knew anything about Claudia beyond the original cover photo (below) and the somewhat sterile liners.

We reissued it in 2016. A few years after that, a person posted a story online about someone buying a bunch of film negatives at Salvation Army and wanting to find the subject of those images. It even got national news coverage. It turned out that those photos were the outtakes from the original Edison International Claudia Thompson - Goodbye to Love album cover photoshoot (but wait it gets better).

That same year, an individual purchased an original copy of the Claudia Thompson album that had an autographed photo inside. It was an 8x10 of Claudia who in reality is a woman of color and not the white woman on the cover. It turns out, in with the original negatives were essentially alternates of the cover art with the real Claudia Thompson on the cover! We’ve updated the cover to correct the white-washing of 1958, finally putting Claudia’s photo on her own album.

This is from the Sundazed newsletter. That's why the album art changed! Pretty cool.
Thanks for posting this ...

Posting to very strongly recommend Jeff Parker’s “JP’s MySpace Beats“ from International Anthem, some of which is material that ended up on “The New Breed” and, I think, “Suite for Max Brown.” But there’s so much more. Sound quality and vinyl pressing quality are top notch. Two vinyl versions (blue and black), both limited to 750 copies, supposedly w/ no repress. No digital, although one track is on Youtube.

I hesitate to call it “jazz” for this particular thread, but, it’s Jeff Parker and there’s definitely jazz in it. If you’re into Dolphy (or Out to Lunch generally), check out “Gazz Exp” is pretty much a beat-tape version of Gazzeloni. Plenty of jazz and other samples (mostly not cleared, I was told), plenty of beats, and scattered guitar solos by JP.

It’s just good music and one of my fav releases of the year. There’s a Discogs comment suggesting these tracks are disjointed. Certainly this is a universe away from a concept album, but I don’t experience the tracks as disjointed at all.

Posting to very strongly recommend Jeff Parker’s “JP’s MySpace Beats“ from International Anthem, some of which is material that ended up on “The New Breed” and, I think, “Suite for Max Brown.” But there’s so much more. Sound quality and vinyl pressing quality are top notch. Two vinyl versions (blue and black), both limited to 750 copies, supposedly w/ no repress. No digital, although one track is on Youtube.

I hesitate to call it “jazz” for this particular thread, but, it’s Jeff Parker and there’s definitely jazz in it. If you’re into Dolphy (or Out to Lunch generally), check out “Gazz Exp” is pretty much a beat-tape version of Gazzeloni. Plenty of jazz and other samples (mostly not cleared, I was told), plenty of beats, and scattered guitar solos by JP.

It’s just good music and one of my fav releases of the year. There’s a Discogs comment suggesting these tracks are disjointed. Certainly this is a universe away from a concept album, but I don’t experience the tracks as disjointed at all.
I’ve been on the fence about this one but really wish I could sample it…

Oh looks like someone uploaded it!

If you ordered it from bandcamp, did it come with a download?

Last edited:

good to see the glowing review, have been thinking about grabbing this but didn't quite know what it was. Love me some Jeff Parker.

Hadn't heard about this session before, but l'm a sucker for sultry vocals.Sample on youtube is pretty nice. Is it VMP only ?

Did anyone pick up the Mingus at Carnegie Hall set? Any good?
I have the Carnegie hall set. I enjoyed it -- I didnt rate it at the top of his output for performance or sound. To be fair, I'd bought a lot of records and some potentially unfair comparisons were in the rotation while I was listening but it didn't blow me away. (Don't get me wrong, it's good -- just not, holy cow)

In the end, it made me grab some other Mingus to listen to so that I could get the fix I was looking for :)

Hadn't heard about this session before, but l'm a sucker for sultry vocals.Sample on youtube is pretty nice. Is it VMP only ?
VMP exclusive I believe but there’s an earlier pressing from a few years ago that was done and is now OOP I believe. Seems like only 1 copy on discogs of the earlier reissue.

Seems to be on streaming though too

Back