Jazz

Here's a post for the crazy audiophiles (of which I am one). I just got a new Jim Hall album, "Live in Tokyo", and it's recording quality rivals the best recordings that I own. Before this record, I think the best recorded audio I've ever heard is from the Bill Evans Trio on "The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, 1961". But I don't know man... the sound on this new Jim Hall disc is COO COO BANANAS! The album also features my favourite Jim hall band: Don Thompson on bass and Terry Clarke on Drums (both Canadians!). Oh, and it's a SICK live concert as well.

R-2093981-1571701745-2331.jpeg.jpg71I3UeT6T4L._AC_SX522_.jpg

Last edited:
I can't remember if anyone else was looking for the Jazz is Dead titles, VMP have 5 & 6 back in stock.

To add to this, 5 & 6 are the best pressed out of the series from VMP so far. They switched plants for these 2 (and hopefully the ones going forward as well) and the sound and general quality is much better in my opinion.

910WGJj618L._SL1500_.jpg
New Hasaan Ibn Ali solo piano album coming in November, Vinyl in 2022 .

Don't usually post about CD's but it comes with a book so ...

Ah I had this ready to post but forgot to hit reply :ROFLMAO:

They sent Subscribers the link to the 'premiere' earlier today and for once I wasn't in a meeting so I was able to see it. They had a countdown on screen and I have to admit to getting excited over what it could be.

I recently finished Mike Taylor's biography and Neil Ardley gets mentioned quite a bit so I was actually listening to JIB's 'Kaleidoscope Of Rainbows: Live '75' just yesterday. Very strange timing, but definitely great news.

I'm interested in the book but don't have anything to play the CD on. Going to be interested to see more details on this one.

Ah I had this ready to post but forgot to hit reply :ROFLMAO:

They sent Subscribers the link to the 'premiere' earlier today and for once I wasn't in a meeting so I was able to see it. They had a countdown on screen and I have to admit to getting excited over what it could be.

I recently finished Mike Taylor's biography and Neil Ardley gets mentioned quite a bit so I was actually listening to JIB's 'Kaleidoscope Of Rainbows: Live '75' just yesterday. Very strange timing, but definitely great news.

I'm interested in the book but don't have anything to play the CD on. Going to be interested to see more details on this one.

Likewise, I don't have a CD player setup, but would be interested in the book & streaming the album

I just got the British Jazz explosion release of the studio album last week & it's great, Interesting liner notes as well. (after returning 2 copies to Amazon , for which they still haven't processed a refund).

Likewise, I don't have a CD player setup, but would be interested in the book & streaming the album

I just got the British Jazz explosion release of the studio album last week & it's great, Interesting liner notes as well. (after returning 2 copies to Amazon , for which they still haven't processed a refund).

Im still holding out for an OG (wishful thinking at this point) but the album itself is fantastic. Mike Taylor provided a few compositions for it and they ended up using one of them, I would love to hear the others. I know Jon Hiseman used to record a lot of their live performances and jam sessions. His house and studio is literally down my road, I would love to deep dive into those tapes for a few hours.

Im still holding out for an OG (wishful thinking at this point) but the album itself is fantastic. Mike Taylor provided a few compositions for it and they ended up using one of them, I would love to hear the others. I know Jon Hiseman used to record a lot of their live performances and jam sessions. His house and studio is literally down my road, I would love to deep dive into those tapes for a few hours.

The OG's are too rich for my blood, I don't get many crate digging opportunities out here in the country. But I can say the reissue is stellar. The only reason I returned the Amazon preorder was their packaging. It's top notch.

Maybe you should pop down to Jon Hiseman's with a bottle of whisky & an idea for releasing some of the session tapes.

Andy, I just use an old macbook with a Node and Schiit dac. Stream or rip all my cd to Flac, works nice!

The OG's are too rich for my blood, I don't get many crate digging opportunities out here in the country. But I can say the reissue is stellar. The only reason I returned the Amazon preorder was their packaging. It's top notch.

Maybe you should pop down to Jon Hiseman's with a bottle of whisky & an idea for releasing some of the session tapes.
Yeah I haven't given up hope on finding it at a decent price just yet.......but its a hell of a long shot!

Haha well Barbara Thompson (the saxophonist and Hisman's wife) is still with us, shes often walking up and down the highstreet, so maybe she would be up for it!

Looks like a re-press (opaque green vinyl) of On My Ones by Alfa Mist:

Might have been announced, but got an email from Jazz in Britain and these were on their list of upcoming releases:

Ed Chang - Devil Take The Hindmost: The Otherworldly Music of Allan Holdsworth (15th April 2020)
The Ray Russell Quartet - Spontaneous Event (20th April 2020)
Barbara Thompson MBE - Journey To A Destination Unknown (late summer 2020)

Might have been announced, but got an email from Jazz in Britain and these were on their list of upcoming releases:

Ed Chang - Devil Take The Hindmost: The Otherworldly Music of Allan Holdsworth (15th April 2020)
The Ray Russell Quartet - Spontaneous Event (20th April 2020)
Barbara Thompson MBE - Journey To A Destination Unknown (late summer 2020)
Look at the date dude, these are all past releases. Might have been an error that sent out an old email, I didn't receive this one.

Back